Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

So I bought the cheaper version of DK b/c i didn't want the special features, but of course, their 'digital copy' came with the more expensive version.

I figured I'd HB it and be good to go.

wrong.

mtr nor hb will work. hb just keep trying to read it and mtr reads it, but the go button is not hilighted.

bummer.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Same experience here

Nope, mtr and handbrake not working here either...

So I go online to the Warner Brothers "digital copy download" site, thinking I get a free digital copy since I already purchased the DVD...

WRONG.

You have to pay for that too if you buy the basic version. $1.99 (US) is what you have to pay IN ADDITION TO whatever the retail price you shelled out for the DVD.

Now I'm having trouble with the disc not playing in my MacBook or Mac mini at all.

It's going back.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
What version of MTR are you using?

Also tried the very latest version of Handbrake, no dice.

Am downloading the newest version of VLC right now, but I doubt it'll make a difference. I think we're screwed.

Not to mention that the "digital copy" that you can "purchase" for $1.99 US is WINDOWS ONLY. So it's no good for Mac users.

This is a complete FAIL by Warner Brothers.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver

Also tried the very latest version of Handbrake, no dice.

Am downloading the newest version of VLC right now, but I doubt it'll make a difference. I think we're screwed.

Not to mention that the "digital copy" that you can "purchase" for $1.99 US is WINDOWS ONLY. So it's no good for Mac users.

This is a complete FAIL by Warner Brothers.

MTR is on version 3.14M, 2.66 is a couple years old, and not supported anymore. From their site it seems they are all having problems with it, but since it just came out, I bet within a day or so there will be a fix.

unknowng

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
DVDFab HD Decryptor

This will rip The Dark Knight. Then just convert it with HB. You'll have to rip it in a Windows environment though.

Greg

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The new version of Handbrake uses the libraries from VLC Player now to do decryption. See if there is an updated version of VLC Player.

There's a LOT of stuff that HandBrake 0.9.3 has issues with. I was ripping my Christmas DVDs so I could have an awesome holiday playlist, but ran into trouble with Miracle on 34th Street (the 90s version), Home Alone 1 & 2, and anything Charlie Brown.

BAH HUMBUG! I really hope the HB devs can figure this out, although I know they try their best with a free open source product.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
There's a LOT of stuff that HandBrake 0.9.3 has issues with. I was ripping my Christmas DVDs so I could have an awesome holiday playlist, but ran into trouble with Miracle on 34th Street (the 90s version), Home Alone 1 & 2, and anything Charlie Brown.

I was actually having trouble ripping Home Alone 2 last weekend. I wanted to put it on my iPod so I can watch it on the plane going to New York City this weekend. I ended up using DVDFab to create a VIDEO_TS folder, then I used Handbrake to create the m4v file.

The problem wasn't that it couldn't decrypt it, it just stopped about 1/4 of the way through ripping it.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Handbrake/MTR Dark Knight Failure

I've been unable to rip the Dark Knight using Handbrake or MTR. Has anyone else had success?

ceo2025

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Dark Knight ripped PERFECT!!!

The previous post is correct.

I ripped the Dark Knight on a PC using DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.1.2.2 found at http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
(I actually used Parallels on my mac to do this). Then I used HandBrake to rip the DVD.

Works perfect!!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've been unable to rip the Dark Knight using Handbrake or MTR. Has anyone else had success?

I had to use Fairmount on an iMac which took about 40 minutes to scan the disc then copy the individual files within the VIDEO_TS folder onto my thumb drive then onto my laptop into a new VIDEO_TS folder which Handbrake was quite happy to work with.

Some hardware issues meant I couldn't do the whole lot on the iMac hence the transfer but it did work.

No issues with the final rip either.

Can you tell me if the sound on your DVD copy is crap? Mine sounds like people are constantly covering then uncovering the mike. Up and down and the wrong sounds are highlighted (explosions sound like penny bungers whilst footsteps sound like explosions...

ozarkchoir

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Dark Knight fix

I am in the process of ripping my copy of The Dark Knight with Handbrake now. I was having problems too but the forums on the handbrake website helped me.

Basically File --> Open Source (Title Specific) then type Title "1" should be good to go. I followed those instructions from the handbrake website and I'm in the process of ripping it as we speak. So here's to hoping!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Now I'm having trouble with the disc not playing in my MacBook or Mac mini at all.

It's going back.

I'm having the same problem with the Tinkerbell disk after trying MTR 2.6x - apparently there is a file open or something. I haven't been able to get back to fixing it - if you go to the MTR forums you'd see my post on the subject.

UGH.

troon1975

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
which title 1?????

Which title 1 do you choose?

VTS_01_0.bup?
VTS_01_0.ifo?
VTS_01_1.vob?

mfsanso

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Re: which title 1?????

I selected "VTS_01_1.VOB" (the first large VOB file) and typed "1" in the box when it asked "Scan title number _ for VTS_01_1.VOB"

I'm encoding something but I'm unsure if it is the correct file - we'll see in 1h52m50s

:)

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
The VOB file... and then input 1. It will scan 1 to 15. It will then load. Hit start. changing the destination file name brought an error. Left it alone. Success. Changed the m4v file to "Dark Knight.m4v" and imported into iTunes no problems.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
LOL. If you wanted a digital copy just buy the friggn thing from iTunes. Works on Apple TV on a HDTV, iPod, iPhone, Macs... even Windows PCs.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
LOL. If you wanted a digital copy just buy the friggn thing from iTunes. Works on Apple TV on a HDTV, iPod, iPhone, Macs... even Windows PCs.

But it won't burn to a DVD to play in my changer right? Can't afford an AppleTV yet not to replace all my other TVs. Maybe santa will come thru this year :cool:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I was actually having trouble ripping Home Alone 2 last weekend. I wanted to put it on my iPod so I can watch it on the plane going to New York City this weekend. I ended up using DVDFab to create a VIDEO_TS folder, then I used Handbrake to create the m4v file.

The problem wasn't that it couldn't decrypt it, it just stopped about 1/4 of the way through ripping it.

The problem I'm having is HB won't start when I click the "start" button. I have no clue why it does it on certain titles but doesn't on others. I get having glitches while encoding, but it's weird that it doesn't start at all.

phosita

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
If you want a full rip of the DVD, mount the disc using Fairmount and then just drag and drop the contents of the disc to your hard drive.

If you want to encode the video for iTunes, Xbox 360, iPod, Apple TV, etc. do the following:

1. Insert the disc into your computer.
2. Launch Handbrake
3. File -> Open Source (Title Specific) ...
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"
6. Type "1" into the Title box
7. Handbrake should now be able to rip and convert the main film.

If this fails, rip the DVD to your hard drive with Fairmount and use "Open Source (Title Specific)" on the VIDEO_TS folder.

Also, first post! Hi everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.