Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emiliengood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
I've been playing Sims 2 on my macbook for 2 years, as recently as last night. i installed a security update (the only thing i've changed) and suddenly the sims won't start. the icon will bounce in the dock for a couple seconds then disappear. i've tried restarting.
is it corrupted? something to do with the security update? help!:(

TallyWynn

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
I had the same problem after the last security update. I rebooted my Mac and was able to run the game fine after that.

hatekaity

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
rebooted - still not opening

I have an iMac G5 and have been running Sims 2 and all expansion packs on it for 2 years. The other night, I think I had an udate for Quicktime, and now I can't open Sims 2.

I've tried rebooting. I've downloaded a patch. This has happened to me once before, but I won't uninstall unless I have to.

Any ideas?

girlerin

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
same problems

I'm having the same problems. Suddenly the program just won't run. I can go into the body shop and create new Sims, but can't get the game to start. :confused:
As for patches, the only one that keeps coming up in my searches is from 2007, and the game was working perfectly up until now.

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
Go to your utilities>Disk utility application and try to repair disk permissions. If that does not help restart and try the sims 2 again. Otherwise all i can suggest is a reinstall.

starbucky1214

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
I tried doing the thing with disk utilities, and when it didn't work, I tried reinstalling. But same problem... the icon bounces a few times but never loads. I'm guessing this is a new problem related to either the latest security update or quicktime. What's the best way to report this so a patch of some sort can be developed???

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
Aspyr Support

I am having the same problem as well on the iMac G5. It had been working fine for years. On the Core2Duo it still works fine.

It looks like there is some sort of problem with Tiger and the new quicktime update. Aspyr is aware of it: I got this from their support site: "We are aware of the issues arising with the latest QuickTime update in 10.4.11 and are working with Apple to get it resolved. Please bear with us as we work with Apple to find the source of and fix for this problem"

I am assuming this is the source of the problem. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Edit: I submitted a ticket to Aspyr about the issue and asking if the quicktime update affected the game. I am awaiting a response. Will post once I get some answers.

Glamourful

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Canada
Not Working

:mad:
I uninstalled and reinstalled my game and all expansions before googling and it didn't work, so i stumbled on this thread finally, and that is exactly what happens with mine right now. i had a few updates which i usually ignore, but i accepted for some stupid reason. i click on the icon on the dock and it bounces and nothing happens. i downloaded the patch from the link and it didnt work. the icon still just bounces... i NEED my sims...

sims2fanatic

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
New Zealand
I installed sims 2 and the icon bounces then disappears

I just purchased a second hand imac g5 17 inch 1.9ghz in perfect condition.

I was really excited to install my sims 2.

When I installed it and I clicked on the sims 2 thing to open it and it just bounced a couple of times in the dock then disappeared. It doesn't open. I can only get Sims 2 bodyshop to work and thats it.....

I have re-installed many of times and downloaded a patch but nothing has worked!! It works on our other iMac g5 2.0ghz and it even worked on my old ibook g4 1.33ghz but it doesn't work on my current computer:mad:

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

chinnokker999

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
How to fix it...

Okay, for anyone having difficulty with making the Sims 2 work or not understanding how to use the patches & updates, this is how I did it:

Go to http://support.aspyr.com/ and click the "Quicktime 7.6 fixes" link. When the next page loads, click on The Sims 2, or if you have any expansion packs, the last expansion pack you installed on your computer. In the "PROBLEM" box, click the link towards the bottom to get to the patch page. Click on the macgamefiles link, because it downloads slightly faster than the other one. Now if you don't have any expansion packs, click "The Sims 2 (Rev F Patch)." If you do, however, click "The Sims 2 Combo Patch." If you downloaded the second one, it can take quite a long time to download. While you're waiting, go back to the page with the Quicktime 7.6 fix. If you don't remember where that was, or exited the window, go back to http://support.aspyr.com/, click the "Quicktime 7.6 fixes" link, and select your game again. Now in the "SOLUTION" box, click the link. Now wait for both items to download. Once both files have finished downloading, open the first one (the patch) and click on the installer and follow the directions. Next, open the second file (the update), and drag the new Sims 2 icon to your Sims 2 folder. THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT! A box should pop up, asking if you want to replace the Sims 2. Click yes, and double click on the new icon in your Sims 2 folder. Now, a box will pop up and you'll have to wait just a few more minutes. When the game opens, the resolution will be wrong, so you'll probably want to fix it in the display options.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sixheadeddog

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone's aware of this, but the Quicktime 7.6 fixes don't appear to be available at Aspyr.com anymore.
Does anyone have them anywhere? Does anyone know where they are/where I can get them? The quoted instructions from this thread's last reply are no longer good.

Okay, for anyone having difficulty with making the Sims 2 work or not understanding how to use the patches & updates, this is how I did it:

Go to http://support.aspyr.com/ and click the "Quicktime 7.6 fixes" link. When the next page loads, click on The Sims 2, or if you have any expansion packs, the last expansion pack you installed on your computer. In the "PROBLEM" box, click the link towards the bottom to get to the patch page. Click on the macgamefiles link, because it downloads slightly faster than the other one. Now if you don't have any expansion packs, click "The Sims 2 (Rev F Patch)." If you do, however, click "The Sims 2 Combo Patch." If you downloaded the second one, it can take quite a long time to download. While you're waiting, go back to the page with the Quicktime 7.6 fix. If you don't remember where that was, or exited the window, go back to http://support.aspyr.com/, click the "Quicktime 7.6 fixes" link, and select your game again. Now in the "SOLUTION" box, click the link. Now wait for both items to download. Once both files have finished downloading, open the first one (the patch) and click on the installer and follow the directions. Next, open the second file (the update), and drag the new Sims 2 icon to your Sims 2 folder. THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT! A box should pop up, asking if you want to replace the Sims 2. Click yes, and double click on the new icon in your Sims 2 folder. Now, a box will pop up and you'll have to wait just a few more minutes. When the game opens, the resolution will be wrong, so you'll probably want to fix it in the display options.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

sammie123

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
The Sims 2 for Mac OS X

PLEASE READ
Ok, now, at home I have got a Mac OS X which my family got recently.
I played The Sims 2 for PC at a friend's house, and i loved it. So, I decided to buy the game. But, i bought The Sims 2 and i tried to upload it onto my Mac OS X, but of course I needed the Mac version of The Sims 2.
So, i had to take it back.
They said that i did need the Mac version, and they said that i can get it at the Apple Store. I have looked at the Apple site recently and i really want the game. I have also looked at the reviews from people who do have The Sims 2 for Mac.
Some said,
The graphics are really bad. It is not as good as The Sims 2 for PC. The Sims have 2 fingers, the thumbs are alone and the other 4 are all connected together. The screen is all blurry, and the lines of objects are not straight.
Now I am really worried. Because i really want the game and I don't have a PC.
People say that the Mac version is exactly the same as the PC version.
I am glad to here that. I REALLY want The Sims 2 for Mac.
I am now having second thoughts about it, because I have heard good and bad reviews about the game.

I need some help, and can people please tell me (if they have The Sims 2 for Mac) what it is like...
Thanks Heaps!!
Sam :D:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.