Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Ok so I have a couple questions but first my mac is a 2006? macbook 2.0gh intel core duo 1g ram. 1 is the 80gb hd that came with my macbook died a couple weeks back. When it did, I contacted apple and the guy told me to first use my install dvds to try and recover. After a day of searching I realized that not only had I lost the original tiger disks but also my new leopard ones. So I purchased a couple things, a new hitachi 320gb 7200rpm hd from tigerdirect.com on sale for $65 after $20 mail in rebate, (no affiliation just thought ide share). Also, I got a set of leopard disks on ebay and placed an order through crucial for the 2gb ram upgrade. The hd showed up today and I succesfully installed it. After installing I tryed to install leopard but a box pops up that states cant install on this machine or something to that nature. I can still go into the disk utility and the hd shows but i can not install. Do I need to install tiger first then do an upgrade or is the disks I got from ebay just not compatable? Yes they are for Intel based macs. Second how can I retreive the info off the old hd as i did not back anything up and never set up time machine or anything. Not sure why just thought i was invincible i guess. Any help is appreciated.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
New HD's aren't typically formatted for Mac, which may be the case. While booted to the disk, head over to:
Disk Utility, select the drive
Click the partition Tab
Select partitions pull down menu and select 1 Partition (or whatever)
Click Options button
Select GUID option (for Intel Macs) click OK
Volume format pull down select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Click Apply

Possible chance the disks are for a different Intel machine as stated above. It may be for an older Core Duo and not 2 Duo (or vice versa) if it is a grey system disk and not the retail purple and black Leopard disk. Most of the older systems like G5's and below could use many other disks from the same generation, however, due to all the changes with the intels over the years they are the most finnicky about using a specific backup disk.

One way is to buy an enclosure ($20-50 on newegg) for a 2.5" sata drive, and plug it into your Mac. Sometimes that alone can possibly pull data off a dying drive (if it hasn't completely head crashed) and/or attempting to use DataRescue II. Forgot how much that is, but as long as the drive powers up and is recognized my the machine (Sys Profiler or DiskUtil, then there is a chance if not recognized by the Finder).

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Possible chance the disks are for a different Intel machine as stated above. It may be for an older Core Duo and not 2 Duo (or vice versa) if it is a grey system disk and not the retail purple and black Leopard disk. Most of the older systems like G5's and below could use many other disks from the same generation, however, due to all the changes with the intels over the years they are the most finnicky about using a specific backup disk.

The machine is a core duo not core 2 duo. I think it is one of the original macbooks. It is a 2ghz processor which i think was the second series but i am not sure my memory is bad. The disks are the grey and not the reatil version. Thought i was doing myself some good saving a bunch of cash. I am going to try the partition and see if it helps if not i suppose i have to get the reatil version.

also the hd was making clicking noises then i would get the blue screen or the question mark folder. tryed using the grey disks i bought but to recover it but it would not show up in disk utility. I am going to purchase an enclosure and see if i can get it to recognize.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
You want a black Leopard disc, not grey ones. Grey bad, black good. Borrow one, find a friend, buy one, whatever.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
New HD's aren't typically formatted for Mac, which may be the case. While booted to the disk, head over to:
Disk Utility, select the drive
Click the partition Tab
Select partitions pull down menu and select 1 Partition (or whatever)
Click Options button
Select GUID option (for Intel Macs) click OK
Volume format pull down select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Click Apply

I just tryed this but i still get the box telling me the software can not be installed on this computer. I guess i need to now resell these disks and get the retail version. Also, when my new ram comes in can i just pop out the old and put in the new?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
I just tryed this but i still get the box telling me the software can not be installed on this computer. I guess i need to now resell these disks and get the retail version. Also, when my new ram comes in can i just pop out the old and put in the new?

Definitely the disks that are preventing you from installing then.

Yes, however, when making hardware changes or additions to your Mac I would suggest resetting the PRAM after it is installed while booting the machine for the first time:

Once the machine is powered on or restarted, press and hold down the COMMAND(apple)+OPTION+P+R (two hands makes it easier) keys, and release after you hear the third chime.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire

You can save a lot of money by simply calling Applecare and telling them you need to purchase a replacement System Restore set for your machine (which they call "Fulfillment Disks").

They will ask for your serial number so they are sure to get the correct set for your particular Mac (as opposed to your eBay experience it seems) and will ship them to you for a moderate fee. A recent set I purchased was $32 shipped.

They are identical to the grey Software Restore disks that shipped with your Mac (although the replacements have a white face, not grey) and have the advantage of having all the software that was on your Mac new- which includes iLife which is not on the full Retail Installation disk.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
Yes, however, when making hardware changes or additions to your Mac I would suggest resetting the PRAM after it is installed while booting the machine for the first time:

Once the machine is powered on or restarted, press and hold down the COMMAND(apple)+OPTION+P+R (two hands makes it easier) keys, and release after you hear the third chime.

Didn't know this but thank you will do.

You can save a lot of money by simply calling Applecare and telling them you need to purchase a replacement System Restore set for your machine (which they call "Fulfillment Disks").

I've looked into this only the original disks were Tiger for my particular machine and that's what they want to send me. I'de rather get Leopard even if it is just the OS, the other apps will be easily attainable. Thanks for the suggestion.

chunkyblamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Ill
got the new ram in and the leopard has been installed and a bunch of updates done. Thanks for all the help all I have to do now download a ton of lost programs and find a way to get my music off my ipod that decided to go into recovery mode during all this. When it rains it pours. Thanks for all the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.