Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcheurDeCiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Just got the new 2.4 MB out of the box, started to register and discovered a rather annoying glitch: an over-sensitive 'a' key. The slightest touch is enough to set it off, I mean a feather touch, nowhere near a full key punch. Makes typing a real paaaaaaain.

Anyways, rest of the keyboard works fine, so I figure gotta be a wonky contact. Checked out a few help forums and videos. Tried propping it up with the stiff paper trick. Still no dice.

Popped the key lid off, exercised the plaaastic connector bit, which seemed fine. However, the rubber/silicon 'nipple' (the impact point) was also extremely sensitive.

Moving swiftly along and ignoring the reams of 'sensitive nipple' comments, I popped off another key to compare. No sensitive nipple issues there.
Now the question: what to do, what to do?

Tried the Mac store, they kindly offered to take it off my hands for three weeks. Seems a bit much for one measly key. Any suggestions before I bid my aluminium friend farewell?

Cheers!

MarcheurDeCiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Yeah, you're right: they should cover it, and it's probably better to let those guys deal with it rather than risk making a bigger mess of the situation. Just a wee bit disappointed that they need three weeks to fix something so small. Especially as I just got the thing three days ago!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
That MB is basically DOA (Dead On Arrival) they should replace it with a brand new MB. Your MB is literally useless w/o the use of the "A key" or having an oversensitive key. I couldn't be w/o my MB for three weeks. Ask for a 100% refund or a new MB, and they'll probably offer the new MB. Also, speak to the Store Manager, and if they don't budge, then ask the Store Manager for the email address or toll free number for Customer Relations. Either way, their three week timeframe is unacceptable...:(

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
That MB is basically DOA (Dead On Arrival) they should replace it with a brand new MB. Your MB is literally useless w/o the use of the "A key" or having an oversensitive key. I couldn't be w/o my MB for three weeks. Ask for a 100% refund or a new MB, and they'll probably offer the new MB. Also, speak to the Store Manager, and if they don't budge, then ask the Store Manager for the email address or toll free number for Customer Relations. Either way, their three week timeframe is unacceptable...:(

+1 on that. They should give you a new MB that day. If they don't, pursue it even harder.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I would definitely demand a more acceptable timeframe. I don't think it is unfair of you to demand a fully functional keyboard out of the box! Go back to the store and demand they fix it on the spot or exchange it without the restock fee. Be polite and firm and you should leave happy.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Tried the Mac store, they kindly offered to take it off my hands for three weeks. Seems a bit much for one measly key. Any suggestions before I bid my aluminium friend farewell?

Cheers!

It won't take them 3 weeks. They really should have extra keyboards since most of them share components, and the repair wouldn't take more than 3 hours, max.

That's extreme. :confused:

And why is a replacement machine better than a replacement keyboard? His new machine seems fine otherwise, whereas a new machine may have other, more severe flaws. And if so, there's little benefit for doing so.

And I wouldn't classify this as DOA.

MarcheurDeCiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Update

Back again after a week on the job in Africa. After much coaxing and prying I've got it to a situation where the sensitivity has been considerably reduced. Still not perfect but useable.

Re. the suggestions to demand a replacement: I agree 100% in principle. However, situation is slightly complicated by the fact that I got a colleague to buy the MB for me in the UK (I'm based in the Netherlands) when the pound tanked against the euro. Saved myself just under 500 euries on the total purchase price, but I'm now faced with the downside of my own evil genius. I do have AC, so the store here in NL will take it off my hands, but I don't have much of a leg to stand on as they didn't sell me the machine. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but here the apple stores are private businesses and not apple owned, so they don't feel any particular need to go out of their way to help me. To top it off the people working at the two we have here in town seem to be long on hippness and short on tech-savy.

Must come up with a cunning plan...

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Back again after a week on the job in Africa. After much coaxing and prying I've got it to a situation where the sensitivity has been considerably reduced. Still not perfect but useable.

Re. the suggestions to demand a replacement: I agree 100% in principle. However, situation is slightly complicated by the fact that I got a colleague to buy the MB for me in the UK (I'm based in the Netherlands) when the pound tanked against the euro. Saved myself just under 500 euries on the total purchase price, but I'm now faced with the downside of my own evil genius. I do have AC, so the store here in NL will take it off my hands, but I don't have much of a leg to stand on as they didn't sell me the machine. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but here the apple stores are private businesses and not apple owned, so they don't feel any particular need to go out of their way to help me. To top it off the people working at the two we have here in town seem to be long on hippness and short on tech-savy.

Must come up with a cunning plan...
From what I understand, the warranty and AppleCare are served though Apple, not the retailer. Any costs the retailer incurs are billed to Apple. If they give you attitude, then f'em, just try another shop.

That'd be like saying your car has a warranty claim, and the dealership won't help you because you bought it across town at another dealership. Unless I'm grossly mistaken on how warranties work over there in Europe =\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.