Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pokernut

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Just about to purchase the new mini and I need to buy the adapter to use dual monitors. Is it the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter that I need to buy? I'm connecting my Samsung 24" which is dvi.

Just wanted to double check before I purchased it.

Thanks in advance

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
A mini-DVI to DVI is included in the box. If you want to use both monitor ports, you will also need a mini-DP to DVI.

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
I don't think you will actually be able to use two monitors simultaneously with just that adapter. The best solution that I know of to run dual monitors from a mac with an integrated graphics card such as yours can be found here.

wbe858

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
Yea i believe that if you get both adapters it should work just fine considering the macbook can (one on the main screen and one on the external) and this is a very similar setup. I havent personally tried it, just haven't had time to try so dont take my word for it but im thinking it would work as long as you have both the mini-displayport to DVI and the mini DVI to DVI, the latter of which is included.

p.luik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Faribault, MN
Yea i believe that if you get both adapters it should work just fine considering the macbook can (one on the main screen and one on the external) and this is a very similar setup.

How is the mini a similar setup? The mini doesn't have a built-in display. You said the macbook can run one external display. I agree, the mac mini can run one external display (out of the box). Since like you said, they are similar in setup.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
How is the mini a similar setup? The mini doesn't have a built-in display. You said the macbook can run one external display. I agree, the mac mini can run one external display (out of the box). Since like you said, they are similar in setup.

The new Mini has two monitor ports, and both can be used at once. It is a very good feature for such a budget computer. The previous Mini only supported one monitor.

wbe858

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC

What i meant was it has a similar graphics chip and whatnot and the macbook can run one external display and one internal that would be dual displays right? Maybe you meant two external monitors in which case no cause there is only one output. Now i decided to get off my lazy ass and find another monitor to try it on my mini..and yes it does work, one is going out through mini-dp to dvi and the other is mini dvi-dvi so if you do mean two external monitors then yes it does work on a mini. So with a $29 adapter everything works two monitors and all.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Just about to purchase the new mini and I need to buy the adapter to use dual monitors. Is it the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter that I need to buy? I'm connecting my Samsung 24" which is dvi.

Just wanted to double check before I purchased it.

Thanks in advance

Have you two of the Samsung screens?

calvin42hobbes

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Here's a summary of my misadventure in connecting two monitors to my new 4GB mac mini:

I have 2 30" Samsung 305T. At first, I tried hooking up one of the 305T with the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter (using dual-link DVI cable; no other monitor connected; keyboard & mouse plugged into the USB ports furthest from mini displayport; adapter plugged into the USB adjacent to mini displayport). I got the beautiful 2560X1600... :) for all of about 15 minutes. :( I experienced the well-publicized fuzzies/out-of-sync problems as the monitor came out of sleep mode. Same thing happened when I tried the other monitor.

Fortunately, the Apple store guy was understanding when I returned the Dual-Link DVI adapter (he didn't even asked why I was returning it... I guess returns happen a lot with this marvel of engineering :rolleyes:).

Now I thought I could still settle for two monitors operating at 1920X1200 (using the included Mini DVI to DVI adapter & the separately purchased Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter). Problem is, these single link DVI outputs are a bit incompatible with the dual-link DVI input on the Samsung 305T. In short, it appear the dual-link DVI input needs to be connected to a dual-link DVI output in order to get any resolution greater than 1280X800!

From what I discovered so far, my 30" Samsung 305T has two native resolutions limits depending on the input: 2560X1600 if dual-link DVI input & 1280X800 if single-link DVI input. I don't know if this is true with other 30" dual-link DVI input monitors, but I suspect the same.

On the bright side, I can run two HUGE 1280X800 expanded desktop across the dual Samsungs. Reminds me of the days of the Atari 2600 graphics...
:rolleyes:

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
From what I discovered so far, my 30" Samsung 305T has two native resolutions limits depending on the input: 2560X1600 if dual-link DVI input & 1280X800 if single-link DVI input. I don't know if this is true with other 30" dual-link DVI input monitors, but I suspect the same.

It's the same for other 30 inch monitors aswell. Atleast for the Apple cinema 30.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
The new Mini has two monitor ports, and both can be used at once. It is a very good feature for such a budget computer. The previous Mini only supported one monitor.

The Mini might be a "budget Mac", but it certainly is NOT a "budget computer".

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
It's the same for other 30 inch monitors aswell. Atleast for the Apple cinema 30.
Older 30" only have those two resolutions, but some newer ones include a scaler and can run at intermediate resolutions.

The difficulty in driving the 30" displays is one of the reasons I've stuck with 24" 1920x1200 ones instead. Less screen real estate, but fewer headaches driving from a Macbook.

Slothen

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Let me get this straight:

If I use the mini-dvi -> HDMI adapter, and use it on my plasma, it CAN run full hd (1920x1080) or what?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Here's a summary of my misadventure in connecting two monitors to my new 4GB mac mini:

I have 2 30" Samsung 305T. At first, I tried hooking up one of the 305T with the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter (using dual-link DVI cable; no other monitor connected; keyboard & mouse plugged into the USB ports furthest from mini displayport; adapter plugged into the USB adjacent to mini displayport). I got the beautiful 2560X1600... :) for all of about 15 minutes. :( I experienced the well-publicized fuzzies/out-of-sync problems as the monitor came out of sleep mode. Same thing happened when I tried the other monitor.

Fortunately, the Apple store guy was understanding when I returned the Dual-Link DVI adapter (he didn't even asked why I was returning it... I guess returns happen a lot with this marvel of engineering :rolleyes:).

Now I thought I could still settle for two monitors operating at 1920X1200 (using the included Mini DVI to DVI adapter & the separately purchased Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter). Problem is, these single link DVI outputs are a bit incompatible with the dual-link DVI input on the Samsung 305T. In short, it appear the dual-link DVI input needs to be connected to a dual-link DVI output in order to get any resolution greater than 1280X800!

On the bright side, I can run two HUGE 1280X800 expanded desktop across the dual Samsungs. Reminds me of the days of the Atari 2600 graphics...
:rolleyes:

That was going to be my question...

If you had the Dual-Link DVI connector on the Mini, would the MiniDVI connector still be available?

Looks like "NO" right now, unless a firmware upgrade to allow the nVidia chip to steal more main memory?

My understanding now is, you have to be carefull how you hook up DVI and dual DVI monitors with all the different resolutions, cards, and drivers.

See if your monitors have firmware updates. Also, if I wanted to use the Apple Dual-DVI adapter, wouldn't you just make it so that the computer doesn't make the monitor go to sleep? An Apple fix in the near future?

HHarm

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
I got the beautiful 2560X1600... :) for all of about 15 minutes. :( I experienced the well-publicized fuzzies/out-of-sync problems as the monitor came out of sleep mode. Same thing happened when I tried the other monitor.

Thanks for the info!

Damn. Look's like I'll have to cancel my mini order. I have the Dell 3007WFP, a screen that is said to bring out the same fuzziness problem.

Nice one Apple! I was open to pretty much every Mac model. All of them have their pros (as well as cons of course) and every one has something that appeals to me and my need. Unfortunately it look's like all the new models with the exception of the Mac Pro have dual-DVI support that doesn't work properly. Even with the rip-off priced adapter. I'd get the Mac Pro but the new models offer such terrible value, for me to bare part with my money.

No Mac for - at least for the time being. Damn. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.