Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I have an excellent Idea for an App that I need someone to create:

It is a nightmare to use the play-station control-pad to type messages etc on the play-station - I myself usually plug my keyboard in when typing on the ps3. But what about people that don't have a spare keyboard? Well how about an app that allows you to use the iphone as a wireless bluetooth keyboard for the ps3??? I have heard that the next version of the iphone software - version 3.0 actually supports bluetooth- So who is going to write this ace app in time for the latest software release. I need it so bad..

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I have an excellent Idea for an App that I need someone to create:

It is a nightmare to use the play-station control-pad to type messages etc on the play-station - I myself usually plug my keyboard in when typing on the ps3. But what about people that don't have a spare keyboard? Well how about an app that allows you to use the iphone as a wireless bluetooth keyboard for the ps3??? I have heard that the next version of the iphone software - version 3.0 actually supports bluetooth- So who is going to write this ace app in time for the latest software release. I need it so bad..

Toughest part of doing something like this is figuring out how to talk to the PS3. Since we don't have PS3's bluetooth drivers, we can't dissect how to talk back and forth.

chaten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
mate if you can sped all your time figuring out how to do this...ull me minted when you finally release your app. Please some 1 code this

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I was actually thinking about working on it. Gotta give us (the devs) a few days of hands on with the new SDK to figure out what we can do.

chaten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I was actually thinking about working on it. Gotta give us (the devs) a few days of hands on with the new SDK to figure out what we can do.

thank you thank you ...i just want someone to become rich from my fab app idea!!!
NB i have plenty of other cool ideas in me head too..

ukdy

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
i don't think this has anything to do with either sony or apple allowing permission or having to know anything about the playstation bluetooth drivers.. as mentioned it just requires the iphone to support the correct bluetooth profile.

as of now there aren't many bluetooth profiles on the iphone. the iphone would just need to perform as a bluetooth keyboard and problem solved.

many other bluetooth keyboards work with the playstation and they don't know anything about the playstation bluetooth drivers.

come on people... use some common sense and not just sit here and bash apple and sony.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

ukdy said:
i don't think this has anything to do with either sony or apple allowing permission or having to know anything about the playstation bluetooth drivers.. as mentioned it just requires the iphone to support the correct bluetooth profile.

as of now there aren't many bluetooth profiles on the iphone. the iphone would just need to perform as a bluetooth keyboard and problem solved.

many other bluetooth keyboards work with the playstation and they don't know anything about the playstation bluetooth drivers.

come on people... use some common sense and not just sit here and bash apple and sony.

No, it has everything to do with permission. Only "Made For iPod" certified devices are detected and accessible. Look at the developer docs for the accessory framework.

DangerMouse001

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
If my Macbook Pro can find a way to talk to my ps3, then its possible for the iphone as well. Just sayin'

DangerMouse001

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Maybe I will do it. heh heh (but doubtful)

So you are saying it's impossible? I'm not going to pretend I know for sure wether or not it can be done...but I do know that it should certainly be possible. Maybe you could elaborate on it a bit on why not, I would be interested in knowing.

Bluetooth Audio speakers (Non Apple) can speak to iPhone for audio output why not the ps3? I am just not so sure this is a permissions thing. Hey I could be wrong, it just doesn't make sense.

dayneoram

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

No, it has everything to do with permission. Only "Made For iPod" certified devices are detected and accessible. Look at the developer docs for the accessory framework.

PC's aren't made for ipod, and windows aren't paying apple anything.

PeterJay

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Newcastle upon tyne
getting it straight

Just to back up those that said its NOT a matter of needing to be in the "Made For iPhone" certification program-

its a matter of supporting the HID bluetooth profile on the iPhone, so it appears as a standard Bluetooth keyboard to the PS3, which is what the PS3 requires.

yourwiseguy

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Jailbreak?

Would it be possible to add the necessary HID bluetooth profile on a jailbroken iPhone?

TheFinch

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Wouldn't this require custom APIs? If not it sounds like an awesome idea, but if it has just 1 custom API (as you probabl know) Apple won't accept it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.