Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So I'm super excited to get my new iMac in May.
(Which I get a $124 discount for working at McDonald's lol)

But anyways to the point
I was wondering is it worth it to purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for the Mac for $189.00

Has anyone purchased it and seemed that it was/ or was not worth it?
What limitations did you notice?

Buy or Skip It ?

All Help Appreciated

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
It will cover you against defects in the computer for an additional two years. It will not cover you against accidental or malicious damage and they really do check these things.

It's important to remember that you can buy AppleCare any time during the first year you own your machine (but don't leave it even one day later than that, because then you're not eligible).

So there's no rush to buy it as soon as you get the computer.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
In 15 years, I've never bought it and never had a Mac fail or need to be repaired for any reason. More importantly, if it does fail or need to be repaired, the likelihood is very high that it fails within the first year, when it's already covered. The only caveat, however, is that my Macs have always been headless desktops or laptops (I've used my laptops infrequently until recently). I saw some reliability statistics on the net about a year ago which suggested that the iMac is the least reliable desktop Mac. That's not surprising given that it includes a screen which can have it's own problems, and that the design might generate higher internal temperatures. According to the reliability data I saw, the Mac Mini had the lowest incidence of reported problems, followed by the Mac Pro, then the iMac.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I have always purchased AppleCare on my Macs. I have used it in almost every case. Most of the time it was just a call to tech support but that doesn't seem to matter any more with the Apple Stores. I have used it once for a major repair on my Powermac G5 (one of the processors went out after 13 months). The G5 repair would have cost me $2000 US if I had to pay for the teir 3 repair out of pocket. It has paid off for me over time.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So I guess there is no rush to purchase it as long as i purchase it within the year

Higher internal temperatures???
That statistic does not make me happy:(

But I guess the cool design would have some issues
But over heating is not what I wanted to hear
How can you over come and take care of your iMac? (any thread link..)

So they will replace keyboard and mouse I assume if something goes wrong?
What if the computer crashes....?
My biggest worry is mostly internal
because if anything happens to it physically they wont cover it :(

Will they replace it if internally stuff beyond my control goes wrong?
Excluding downloading of unofficial Apple approved programs and such?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
The applecare provides you with 24/7 tech support for any issue with apple hardware or software. Buy it either on ebay or through a school for a further discount.

Without applecare, you'll be spending every day for two years on your mac, praying that it won't break.

WITH applecare, you'll be spending every same day praying that it will..:D

How much is your piece of mind worth?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
24/7 tech support? That's not true. I called them the other day about my Cinema Display and they were closed.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I didn't say 24 hours IN A ROW!

Sorry, couldn't resist pulling out that old Stephen Wright joke.

I may be wrong about the 24 hour part. It seems every time I had to call them (here in the good old USA) they seemed to be open. I may have inadvertently made an overly broad statement.

And on that point, I am prepared to yield to the previous poster with the extremely hot avatar...;)

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Ok so ill purchase it later on..... right now I just want the computer
BUT does it cost more if I purchase it after purchasing my iMac?

But its true there is no worrying about it as long as I have the plan

Can anybody answer my previous post....?
would be thankful....
& how to take care of your iMac (possible thread link...)

& what is better
for your iMac health....
Leaving it on majority of the day?
Leave it off when your not using it (i.e at school and when i'm asleep?)
Have it in sleep mode when you are not using it?

any other tips and tricks........

What do you use to clean the screen?
I ruined my older computer screen after using windex on it for a year :(

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Ok so ill purchase it later on..... right now I just want the computer
BUT does it cost more if I purchase it after purchasing my iMac?

But its true there is no worrying about it as long as I have the plan

Can anybody answer my previous post....?
would be thankful....
& how to take care of your iMac (possible thread link...)

& what is better
for your iMac health....

any other tips and tricks........

What do you use to clean the screen?
I ruined my older computer screen after using windex on it for a year :(

Some of your questions have been answered in previous replies:

1. Applecare costs the same whether you buy it the same day you buy your computer (unless you're a silver tounged devil buying an extremely expensive machine, and that's a slim chance) or within the first 364 days after you buy it.

2. Applecare covers defects and malfunctions, not including accidental damage, for the term of the policy. You drop it, or spill water on it, tough patootie.

3. As for care of your mac, go to apple's support site and download the user's guide for whatever system you want to purchase. As for windex, the new mb's and mbp's are glassbooks, but I'd be extremely careful about ANY liquid on my thousands of dollars piece of electronics. Seriously, windex?

Oh, and I would advise you to never, ever, ever use an ipod touch in the bathtub. Yep...

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Windex..... :(
Not a great decision I'm dumb
But I bought this computer in 2003 and it was a PC
So i thought it would not matter

I Have learned by lesson...
This is why I'm asking... Want to get it right this time
Do you just clean it with the cleaning cloth provided
(Cleans fingerprints and such?)

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
How to take care of your iMac (possible thread link...)
I Know I Have Asked Like 3 Time But My Google Search Failed... :(

& what is better
for your iMac health....

clyde2801

macrumors 601
How to take care of your iMac (possible thread link...)
I Know I Have Asked Like 3 Time But My Google Search Failed... :(

& what is better
for your iMac health....

1. I believe you can LIGHTLY dampen your cloth if necessary with a small amount of water.

2 The on or off question has been debated has been debated more thoroughly and heatedly than 'pirates vs. ninjas', 'ppc vs. 486', 'kirk or picard' or maybe even the existence of God. Some argue that wear and tear happens from leaving it on, others swear that mini power surges cause damage over time from turning a system on and off, and that sleep settings are sufficient. This is a question not for geeks, but for geek philosophers, and I Sir am wholly inadequate to the task.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Thanks a bunches
Guess Ill Juss Do a Mixture of Leaving it On & Off
You've Helped Me Out

Has Anyone ever ordered from the Apple Website using
the EPP (think it means Employee Personal Page or Pricing)
Becasue my place of employment has a website that leads you to it
to receive a discount

if anyone has how do things work out in the ordering process?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What you should also consider is buying AppleCare on eBay. At around $100, I definitely think the value is there. For every dollar spent on AppleCare, I have saved THREE DOLLARS in repairs. I definitely think it is worth it.

Also remember, you have to buy AppleCare within a year of original purchase. NOT when you buy it. So, give yourself some time before buying it. The first year is on Apple, just make sure you buy no later than 11 months and 29 days... from original purchase date. And make sure you link it to your iMac as soon as you get the AppleCare.

Congrats on your new Mac.

wickedpapercut

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
Bought Applecare for my teenage son's iMac. So far they've replaced the iSight camera board and the keyboard. Well worth the cost for me.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Applecare paid for enough small repairs on my last MBP to make it worthwhile, and then paid for a new replacement last fall that was a 30 month bump in specs and features.

On the other hand, I bought AC on my iPod almost three years ago, and haven't needed it yet.

Since I use my equipment for my business, it makes more sense to pay for coverage than to pay for repairs.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

im definetley gonna get it
juss seems nice to have
especially since this my first mac

thank everyone for ur comments :)

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
If you're getting a $124 discount on your iMac, grab Applecare from L.A. Computer Company, and you'll STILL save $4 on the cost of the machine :D

(Regular Applecare price for an iMac is $169, they sell for $120.)

Congrats on the new Mac :)

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Oh, and I would advise you to never, ever, ever use an ipod touch in the bathtub. Yep...

Wow, hahaha. That actually made me Laugh out Loud.

I just bought applecare for my new Macbook. After My HP died I learned my lesson the hard way. The processor and motherboard decided to die during finals week. I was left with a 1,500 dollar paperweight. I guess you could say that was my point which i looked towards the "Apple" for answers.

Anyway, it really comes down to this: Can you afford not to have it?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, it is worth it. One of the reasons I switched to Apple was the fact that they honour their warranties, rather than seeking scoundrelly refuge in contractual small-print. Over three years ago, two iPods of mine died in rapid succession, and both were replaced without a murmur.

Now that I have a MBP, having Applecare gives me peace of mind and I'd strongly recommend it. Friends have had computers (not, admittedly an Apple) which died just over a year after purchase, a nasty experience; unfortunately, unless you have an extended warranty, you have no real comeback in such situations.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.