Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
My wife works for an ad agency, and her Hulu reps were in today. They said they are working on mobile versions of the site, first of which will be an iPhone app, set to be released tentatively in June. Apparently they wouldn't say much more, but wanted to line up clients early.

I know this has been long rumored, etc. Just passing along the information I was given today.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
My wife works for an ad agency, and her Hulu reps were in today. They said they are working on mobile versions of the site, first of which will be an iPhone app, set to be released tentatively in June. Apparently they wouldn't say much more, but wanted to line up clients early.

I know this has been long rumored, etc. Just passing along the information I was given today.

That's great news!
Thanks for sharing

kiwi91

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Omg seriously??? If true, this would be amazing!!!

Hope it wouldn't be anything like that crap Tv.com app :(.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Ten to one AT&T makes it wifi-only. :rolleyes:

Still, hope it's true - will be something to look forward to for sure.

Thats actually Apple's thing. Its in their agreement that you can't hog bandwidth of the cell network.

Tedeks

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
This will definitely be cool if it is true. I also hope it isn't restricted to just wifi...

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
This would be awesome...I keep checking a few different sites for mobile versions every once in a while.
...and Hulu is one I check frequently.

Thank you for the heads up...I'll definitely keep my eyes open for this one. :D

tennis8668

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
This is sweet!

I hope you're telling the truth, because I just shared this with the hulu.com community forums.

I can't wait!

sseelman

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Thats actually Apple's thing. Its in their agreement that you can't hog bandwidth of the cell network.

I am not sure what agreements say what, but you are mistaken in regard to the implementation side. The i.TV app works on wi-fi and 3G. The quality is lower when it senses 3G, but it works.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If true, it would make sense for it to use the new feature showcased by ESPN at the iPhone 3.0 event where the video was automatically targeted to the bandwidth available (either on 3G or wifi). I have a feeling this feature was made not only to make our experience better, but to help appease the bandwidth-conscious network carriers and allow for more streaming applications.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Have a bad feeling that this app will be immediately rejected by Apple, and ban Hulu from ever joining the app store dev program again.

Reason: It competes with iTunes for computer. (there's a chance that Apple might allow purchase of TV Shows and Movies from iPod touch or iPhone soon)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Have a bad feeling that this app will be immediately rejected by Apple, and ban Hulu from ever joining the app store dev program again.

Reason: It competes with iTunes for computer. (there's a chance that Apple might allow purchase of TV Shows and Movies from iPod touch or iPhone soon)

I'm not so sure this would be rejected due to the fact it's likely iPhone 3.0 will allow tethering from several reports as well as the fact it's "suppose to be faster" as in AT&T bumping up their 3g network. It's going to happen with or without AT&T/Apple likes it or not.

Orb already allows you to stream live TV (Apple approved App, 3g and Wifi)
Slingmedia showed off their Sling app to stream live TV at CES.
AT&T has spoken about bringing live TV to the iPhone.

Orb is the prime example of TV and media already allowed on the current AT&T 3g network which has been approved and works over 3g and Wifi.

It wouldn't shock me if we see the ability to steam iTunes TV and Moves to our iPhone someday once the bandwidth advances to say LTE type speeds. Wireless bandwidth will soon enough open up the iPhone to all kinds of streaming media and options. I can't wait :)

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
but other att have live tv, whats the difference.

Haven't used live tv to see their quality, but I would assume the difference is because this is a iPhone. People will gladly give up a lot of aspects for this phone to get it and At&t sees this as a way to profit from it.

SecondDealer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
That'd be really great, I love hulu because i often miss the shows i want to watch and they're usually online within 24 hours so I can get caught up and discussion them with my friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.