Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
For the second time, my mac would not awake from sleep unless I push the key board it self! The first time this happend, I started checking the power connections and suddenly it came on. I'm thinking that maybe onyx is the culprit here. Any advice please?

McKnight

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
It's press the keyboard/click the mouse for sleep & move the mouse for screen in standby.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Normally I just move the mouse and it wakes up. I'm using a imac intel. Today I moved the mouse and it wouldn't wake, but when I touched the key board it woke up. This is the first time I have ever had to do this.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Yes it does matter and I think the waste of time was you're bothering to reply if you had nothing to offer.
No problem, glad to help. http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/WTF.gif

Good luck having anyone help you figure out why every so often your computer dosn't wake by moving the mouse [though it does by hitting a button/key]. I'm sure everyone will be all over this one like a rash.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I've never known any of my Macs to wake from sleep simply by moving the mouse across the desk. I can't imagine how annoying that would be if I put a computer to sleep and then just accidentally nudge the mouse as I get up from the desk and then have to put the computer to sleep again.

Are you sure your computer is actually sleeping when you just move the mouse to awake it and that it hasn't just turned the display off?

The standard way to wake Macs from sleep has been to do any of the following:
  • Push the power button
  • Press any key on the keyboard
  • Click the mouse button (not move the mouse, but actually click a button)
  • Lift the lid if it's a laptop

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I've been digging around a bit more, and here is a quote from the Mid 2007 Intel iMac Manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iMac_Intel-based_Mid2007_UserGuide.pdf (page 15)

To wake your iMac, press the power ( ) button, any key on the keyboard, or any button on the Apple Remote. When your iMac wakes from sleep, your applications, documents, and computer settings are exactly as you left them.

Nothing there about just moving the mouse to wake it up. You must have just had the display "asleep" while the rest of the computer was awake.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
No problem, glad to help. http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/WTF.gif

Good luck having anyone help you figure out why every so often your computer dosn't wake by moving the mouse [though it does by hitting a button/key]. I'm sure everyone will be all over this one like a rash.

edesignuk, I came here seeking advice peacefully as I always do I didn't expect nor will I tolerate being harassed. This is a wonderful resource that, unfortunately infested with people like you jeopardizing it. The rash is obviously on you!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
edesignuk, I came here seeking advice peacefully as I always do I didn't expect nor will I tolerate being harassed. This is a wonderful resource that, unfortunately infested with people like you jeopardizing it. The rash is obviously on you!
You're freaking out over your computer not waking when just moving the mouse, cookies, and some nonsensical thing about a 10.5.6 combo update.

Trying to save you from yourself, mate. These aren't things you need to worry about. Clearly you want to though, so what can I say, go for it.

I was a moderator here for years, have written guide threads with hundreds of thousands of views and have helped many people with many problems all over the place. I'd hardly consider myself a "rash", but thanks anyway.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
You're freaking out over your computer not waking when just moving the mouse, cookies, and some nonsensical thing about a 10.5.6 combo update.

Trying to save you from yourself, mate. These aren't things you need to worry about. Clearly you want to though, so what can I say, go for it.

I was a moderator here for years, have written guide threads with hundreds of thousands of views and have helped many people with many problems all over the place. I'd hardly consider myself a "rash", but thanks anyway.

I asked a simple question and got a smart ass answer and just because you were a moderator here for years doesn't give you the right to kick others around. If you can't appreciate someone's need for advice then don't bother replying to me again. This is why i'm grateful for OTHER resources.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I asked a simple question and got a smart ass answer and just because you were a moderator here for years doesn't give you the right to kick others around. If you can't appreciate someone's need for advice then don't bother replying to me again. This is why i'm grateful for OTHER resources.

Since all you seem to be doing in this thread is ignoring the helpful posts and instead arguing with a former moderator over something rather pathetic, I have reported this thread to the moderating team and requested that it gets closed or wastelanded.

So, to summarise the helpful posts from this thread:

There is nothing broken on your Mac.
The normal way to wake your Mac from sleep is to press a key on the keyboard or click the mouse.
Moving the mouse does not wake a Mac from sleep.
If you did move your mouse to wake your Mac from sleep, then it wasn't asleep, the display had just turned off.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I've never known any of my Macs to wake from sleep simply by moving the mouse across the desk. I can't imagine how annoying that would be if I put a computer to sleep and then just accidentally nudge the mouse as I get up from the desk and then have to put the computer to sleep again.

Are you sure your computer is actually sleeping when you just move the mouse to awake it and that it hasn't just turned the display off?

The standard way to wake Macs from sleep has been to do any of the following:
  • Push the power button
  • Press any key on the keyboard
  • Click the mouse button (not move the mouse, but actually click a button)
  • Lift the lid if it's a laptop

Enough already, your answer is above.

This is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.