Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
Would some of you do me a favour please - shutdown your mini. Then start it by the power button and time how long it takes from the chime noise until the desktop appears? And let me know :):)

I think my new 320GB 7200rpm hitachi travelstar I installed may have a osx problem, and I may have to do a fresh wipe and install. It seems to run fine when it's booted up, but the boot up times taking 60 seconds, the standard 5400rpm 120GB drive only took 40ish.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
Would some of you do me a favour please - shutdown your mini. Then start it by the power button and time how long it takes from the chime noise until the desktop appears? And let me know :):)

I think my new 320GB 7200rpm hitachi travelstar I installed may have a osx problem, and I may have to do a fresh wipe and install. It seems to run fine when it's booted up, but the boot up times taking 60 seconds, the standard 5400rpm 120GB drive only took 40ish.

OK, just did it, 59 seconds from button press to login screen. I know why it takes longer than stock, but I'm not concerned. When I eventually upgrade to Snow Leopard, everything will be fine. When we both cloned our 120GB HD's to the 320GB Hitachi's we used CCC using file level cloning instead of block level cloning. Block level copies the HD exactly as the original, block for block where they originally were in the exact order. File level cloning only clones the files, not necessarily in the original order. To do block level cloning, the Mini must be externally booted, either from the install DVD or from a utility like Diskwarrior. I was too lazy, so I used file level cloning. When booting, the OS requires the files in a specific order. After file level cloning, they are no longer in optimal order, thus the longer boot time. If you want faster booting, reinstall the OS from the install DVD and you should then be faster than the original boot speed. For me, I don't care as I rarely shut down my Mini. Again, I'll wait for Snow Leopard. Perhaps the forthcoming 10.5.7 update will help, but I doubt it.

wbtlevi

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Bout 44 seconds, but that was from pressing the power button, I have my chime turned off.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
OK, just did it, 59 seconds from button press to login screen. I know why it takes longer than stock, but I'm not concerned. When I eventually upgrade to Snow Leopard, everything will be fine. When we both cloned our 120GB HD's to the 320GB Hitachi's we used CCC using file level cloning instead of block level cloning. Block level copies the HD exactly as the original, block for block where they originally were in the exact order. File level cloning only clones the files, not necessarily in the original order. To do block level cloning, the Mini must be externally booted, either from the install DVD or from a utility like Diskwarrior. I was too lazy, so I used file level cloning. When booting, the OS requires the files in a specific order. After file level cloning, they are no longer in optimal order, thus the longer boot time. If you want faster booting, reinstall the OS from the install DVD and you should then be faster than the original boot speed. For me, I don't care as I rarely shut down my Mini. Again, I'll wait for Snow Leopard. Perhaps the forthcoming 10.5.7 update will help, but I doubt it.

Ahhhh okay, thanks mate. :D Makes sense, I kind of though it may have been something to do with the install, but was not sure what.

So the way we have done it only effects the boot up time? There is no chance it could hinder performance in applications? For me I am also not to fussed at it taking that long to boot, as It only once a day I have to do it.

If I wanted to do a clean install am I right in thinking that there is an option to keep your applications and files, but wiping and installing the os? :confused:

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
apart from your log in issue.. how are your apps at opening etc?

snappier than the std HDD?

I pretty sure that my applications open quicker, and the systems snappier when it's booted up, but unless I have the old drive set up in a mini next to it and click on the same applications at the same time it's hard to tell exactly how much quicker. :(

But know I have found the issue with my drive and the way I cloned it I am now paranoid the drive is not performing to it's full potential. :confused:

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
If I wanted to do a clean install am I right in thinking that there is an option to keep your applications and files, but wiping and installing the os? :confused:

Yes, it's called archive and install. It keeps the old OS and all preferences in a separate folder. Then you can slowly migrate your old preferences in to the new OS if you wish. When you're satisfied, you then delete the old OS. Let me know how it goes.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
Yes, it's called archive and install. It keeps the old OS and all preferences in a separate folder. Then you can slowly migrate your old preferences in to the new OS if you wish. When you're satisfied, you then delete the old OS. Let me know how it goes.

I might try it over the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

The way we used CCC, do you think it could also hinder performance in applications etc? Or just the boot up?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
"iDefrag" takes a long time but I bet it would restore the files back into their optimum locations following a file-level clone. It will probably be much quicker to just do the block-level clone instead though. :)

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
"iDefrag" takes a long time but I bet it would restore the files back into their optimum locations following a file-level clone. It will probably be much quicker to just do the block-level clone instead though. :)

Probably faster and easier to just do an archive and install of a new OS. You have to boot from the system disk to do a block level clone anyway.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
reinstalled OS

OK, you got me curious, so I reinstalled the OS using archive and install, did software update, and then shut down the Mini. From pressing the power button to the log in screen is now back down to 30 seconds, so my assumption about the file level copying must be true. If you want peace of mind, do what I did. BTW, everything besides booting seems snappier as well.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
OK, you got me curious, so I reinstalled the OS using archive and install, did software update, and then shut down the Mini. From pressing the power button to the log in screen is now back down to 30 seconds, so my assumption about the file level copying must be true. If you want peace of mind, do what I did. BTW, everything besides booting seems snappier as well.

Haha you beat me to it. I was going to do mine tonight :D:D:D How long did that take?

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
Haha you beat me to it. I was going to do mine tonight :D:D:D How long did that take?

The longest part of the install was where you are asked if you want to check the integrity of the master install DVD before installation actually starts. You can decline that inspection if you wish. That took over 10 minutes. The actual install took about 10 minutes and then another 10 minutes of software updates after the initial boot. So count on at least 1/2 hour for everything. The more I use everything, the faster everything seems. Definitely worth the re-install of the OS.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
Okay, installed and it's sorted now! :D:D:D Boot up time is just over 30 secs compared to the 60 secs it was before. Just got to try the system out now opening up applications etc to see if thats any faster.

Oh and it took near to 2 hours for mine to do the reinstall! :eek:

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
Well I've had a chance to use my mini over the weekend, and got to say now i've reinstalled osx it's like it's a different machine!!! :D :D Well chuffed. Applications open up in a matter of seconds. Everything else is much faster and responsive. It also seems much faster than my 08 imac 2.4ghz :D :cool:

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
36 seconds from bong to log on screen on a cold start.

Old 2007 mini with 3.5" 1TB drive 7200rpm.

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks for this thread. Clarified my exact problem. Did a full reinstall of the OS from a fw800 external which took me 5 minutes. Now to reinstall all my crap!

GOD I LOVE FW800

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
Thanks for this thread. Clarified my exact problem. Did a full reinstall of the OS from a fw800 external which took me 5 minutes. Now to reinstall all my crap!

GOD I LOVE FW800

:D Good!

Still loving my new mini... but I have noticed slightly more vibration, which produces a tiny bit more noise on my desk. Hardly noticeable, but I wanted it near to the original 5400rpm, so I placed 4 tiny foam pads in each corner on the base and the noise has gone :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.