Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Weekly Photo Contest (April 17th-24th)

Rules:

1. You may submit only one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is: Musical Instruments

Have fun!

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
3021398334_c067b1a4ae.jpg

magnetdoc13

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
Trumpet Head

My nephew posing as "Trumpet Head".

Attachments

• Trumpet Head .JPG
    Trumpet Head .JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 187

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
It's the best I can do for a musical instrument.

Attachments

• DSC_1268.jpg
    DSC_1268.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 180

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
(Don't know why I bother entering; fantastic shots this week)*.

*Hope that doesn't violate the rules; I am referring to all the entries, not any one in particular.

Attachments

• DSC_2202.jpg
    DSC_2202.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 182

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Ok guys, the contest is over. I will have the winner later on today...or possibly tomorrow morning. Thanks! :cool:

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
lu0s3r322 - I really like this photo. The colors are well balanced, and the subject is well placed. Nice use of DOF! One thing I noticed is the partial-vignetting/ or possible lighting in the photo. It looks like you added this, which is a cool effect but the right side of the photo doesnt seem natural. The left side could pass as a shadow. I think it would have looked more appealing with the hands lit a little better.

Golfmaster - This photo is nice. Its very simple, yet complicated (lol, I hope that makes sense). You have the trumpet on a stand next to its case, yet the case is in the back half lit. At the same time you have the sun coming threw the window which is cool! I also noticed the texture of the wood floor, thats another pleasing effect. Nice work!

emotta - I like the idea of the back being blacked out and the guitar player, but it seems a little to plain to me. Not a bad shot though.

magnetdoc13 - This picture is cool. The lighting is ample, but theres not much going on...or much that really catches my attention. Maybe taking the picture from another angle would have helped a bit.

rebrook - This picture is very nice! I love the motion in the back, you really get the feel of him playing in the street. I also like the contrast between him (in deep thought) and people around him just going about there business! The picture is very sharp, and the colors are rich. Very nice photo!

JDDavis - I'm not sure this one applies...lol! But its a sweet photo. I like the BW touch you added to it. It really makes me feel like its old. Nice.

jrm27 - Cool picture. The colors are nice. I also like the DOF. It seems like a shot though that wasnt really thought out, which isnt bad...some of the best pictures are done that way. But not enough is going on to hold my attention. I'll look at the picture and move on...I think making it more complex would help. Maybe a different take, a picture from the other end..

freewayjim - very cool night shot! I love the touch that the water adds. This picture says action to me, even though not a lot is going on. It makes me want to be there. I love the whole range of colors, lights, and scenery. Nice job.

sangosimo - Lol. Thats a different way to look at the topic! It doesnt really fit, but it is humorous!! I would have like the see the shot centered. To me it seems like where there should be something, there isn't.

Ryan1524 - This is a colorful shot. Nothing out of the ordinary though. I like the ghost effect. The picture reminds me of a spy on vegas shot.

aprofetto - I like this photo. The DOF has me checking out the background trying to get more from the picture. I also like the lighting. The reflection off of the piano is a nice touch! Good shot!

Nadav - Lol. No pun taken! :) I like the idea, but it seems too plain. I would have loved to see the "F-hole" with the whole cello in view, but that being the attention getter.

deep diver - Selmer Paris Super Action. Nice picture! I was hoping to see a sax (I play as well) because they can be difficult to photograph. You picture is nice, the reflection of the sheet music really adds a nice touch to your photo. Clean, and could easily be in a music brochure! Really artistic! Good job!

barclay - Wow! This is another really nice shot! I LOVE the lighting. There is a lot in this picture that really catches my eye. You did a number of things that I really like...the angle, the lighting, the DOF, and last the BW was a really nice touch!! Very good photo!

HeadySpaghetti - I love the colors/light balance in this photo! The guitar player is really into his music, and you can feel that! This would seem like a very difficult shot to take! Very nice shot!

Localghost - Nice contrast! This photo reminds me of something I'd see walking in a park...an older man enjoying his accordion! The photo is very sharp and clear. I like the feeling of it.

Chappers - This is a cool shot. I like the lighting a lot, and the softness of the shot! I can hear the symbol! This says performance to me! Nice photo!

beatzfreak - I love the angle this was taken at! Nice use of DOf, its nice to see the other guitars in the background next to the amp! The colors are very well balanced, and the lighting is great! The floor is also very fitting to the picture! Very clean looking shot! Good job!

mrgreen4242 - First off, your shot is definitely on par with this weeks contest. The biggest thing to me in this photo is the lighting! That adds a good effect to your shot! The lack of vibrant colors makes this photo more appealing...and thats good. Its got an old time feel to me. Nice!

This is a very hard pick, there were a lot of good photos in this weeks contest. Some I can just look at and not really have to analyze, they are just naturally appealing. Others that I pick apart have very unique things about them that I notice, and that adds to the photos..Im really able to see what the photographer was going after! I really wish I could choose more than one!!

So my choice for this weeks contest goes to beatzfeak. You did an outstanding job! I really love the lighting. I've seen many pictures of guitars, and this is one of MY favorites! Fantastic photo!

Winner - beatzfreak

first runner up - deep diver

second runner up - barclay

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The bride's maid again.:(:( :):) My kid will enjoy this - it's his instrument.

Congrats beatzfreak. Looking forward to the next theme.

localghost & rebrook - your images are outstanding. The convey the emotional connection to the music more than any of the others.

wgr73 - good theme

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I didn't enter this week because I didn't have anything suitable in my back catalog nor time to go and take one, but my goodness that was a high standard! In particular deep diver and Chappers utterly stunning! Hat (if I were wearing one) taken off in admiration!

(oh and well done to beatzfreak too!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.