Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadav35

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hello,

I know I posted this in several threads, but I'd thought I'd start a new one. I have a 2006-2007 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core Xeon w/4GB of memory and 1GB ATI Radeon 4870 video card. I'd like to install 64-bit windows 7 on my system. However, because of the EFI32/64 limitation, and Apple stating that 64-bit isn't supported on anything less than 2008 model mac pros, can someone confirm that they have indeed installed 64-bit windows 7 RC on their mac pro? Also, please provide a detailed set of instructions on how to do it.

I tried to install it, but get 1 2 cd-rom error and everything locks up.

Thank you so much!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
There's no trick to it, just put in the install DVD and go. EFI is irrelevant because when booting Windows it will automatically use the BIOS emulation/compatability.

Only thing I can suggest is to use a Bootcamp 2.0.1 or later installer from a 2008 or later MP restore disc because if you have an original Leopard retail disc containing 2.0 with x32 drivers only like me, the 2.1 updater for x64 systems doesn't seem to work. It's kind of weird but that was my experience back when installing Vista x64. I did that and everything's working perfectly.

Oh and this is how you fix the "Select CD ROM boot type" error: http://www.jowie.com/blog/post/2008...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx (I think there might be solutions if you don't have Windows available to use Imgburn but you'll have to google around for them)

soushiruiuma

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
I have a 2006 Mac Pro (2.66 GHz quad-core). After spending ages trying to figure out all the EFI craziness I finally decided to try the easiest option: Find a friend who has a desktop windows PC (or desktop mac that already has a version of windows on it), plug your hard drive into their computer (windows will only install on internal HDs), install windows, put your HD back in your computer. It worked for me (using 64-bit vista about 1 year ago).

I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit tonight and everything works great.

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I have 7 on my '07 mp. Not too much trouble getting it to load. Follow the jowie link or search for gugacom's post on the matter... both will step you thru how to burn the DVD.

Once you have the DVD install is fairly easy. I did mine on a separate hd. Just stick the DVD into the drive and power down. Uunplug all the hd's (not really needed, but that's the way I am) place the hd you want to install to in bay 1. Power the mp up holding down the option key, select the DVD. and follow the install instructions. Once it's complete, power down, put your drives back where you want them. Just hold the the option key down when you want to go to 7 and select it. No bootcamp needed. If you'd like a free boot select startup, you can try rEFIt, it works for me.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
You can download BC2.1 or 2.0.1 or whatever it was from apple.

just boot the comp holding option, IIRC that is how i did mine with the RC, i am on 32bit as imgburn wouldnt give me advanced options on any of my drives so i couldnt burn a non versioned iso

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I have Win7 x64 running on my 2006 Mac pro.

all you are going to need to burn a new dvd with an updated bootloader.

Fixing the Images:

- First you are going to need a windows box to do this. either use your existing bootcamp partition or use a Virtual machine.

- create 3 folders c:\win7iso c:\win7exe c:\win7dvd

- Download this tool and place it in c:\win7exe
http://sergiomcfly.googlepages.com/oscdimg.exe

- Copy all the files from the win7 DVD or ISO into the c:\win7iso directory.

- open a dos prompt and run the following:
c:\win7exe\oscdimg -n -m -bc:\win7iso\boot\etfsboot.com c:\win7iso c:\win7dvd\win7dvd.iso

- Then burn the c:\win7dvd\win7dvd.iso and you are good to go.

Installing Bootcamp Drivers:

- On the BootCamp CD open Drivers/Apple

- Right click on “BootCamp64.msi” -> Properties

- Go To “Compability” Tab, under “Compability Mode” check the box and select “Previous Versions of Windows”

- Now doubleclick on the “BootCamp64.msi” and install normally

Now before rebooting you need to disable the HFS driver or you will get a bluescreen.

rename c:/windows/systems32/drivers/AppleMNT.sys to something like AppleMNT_BORKED.sys

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
all you are going to need to burn a new dvd with an updated bootloader.

You are actually not fixing the EFI32 boot loader but fixing the variable file names in the iso to make the EFI32 bootloader read them.

If you have SW RAID running you need to disconnect it prior to installing.

To run the .msi file you often have to disable user account control and reboot.

The faulty HFS driver does not hit everybody. It depends of the actual partition structure.

Other than that, a very compact step by step.

Shadowkahn

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
So in the case of my posting I made yesterday - I will need to create a disc from my retail copy of Windows 7 64bit (following the instructions on these sites listed in the above posts - much like when I slipstreamed XP's service packs etc) to do an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista 64bit?

I know I could do a clean install, but I'd rather see if the in-place install works as advertised in the retail package of Windows 7 than the RC I have been testing on a separate box.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Now before rebooting you need to disable the HFS driver or you will get a bluescreen.

rename c:/windows/systems32/drivers/AppleMNT.sys to something like AppleMNT_BORKED.sys

Ah! I renamed AppleHFS.sys (in Safe Mode) to AppleHFS.bak and it seemed to solve the problem as well. Didn't even know about this file - should it be renamed as well, or have I done enough?

@ Shadowkahn

I know I could do a clean install, but I'd rather see if the in-place install works as advertised in the retail package of Windows 7 than the RC I have been testing on a separate box.

Yes, I know Win7 is basically Vista SP3, yes I know it supposed to work. But I would recommend you do a clean install anyway.

JP

ddorbuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Awesome info guys. And here I was going to sell my first gen mac pro and pick up a new Intel i7 processor with mb and build a windows 7 box then slip in a chameleon os/x install on my new i7 machine. Guess you all saved me some $$$.

Thanks. Doug

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Ah! I renamed AppleHFS.sys (in Safe Mode) to AppleHFS.bak and it seemed to solve the problem as well. Didn't even know about this file - should it be renamed as well, or have I done enough?

Either one will do the job.

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
All this talk of drivers and what not has me going Hmmmm?

I've reconfigured my system (mp1,1 '07) several times now with both 32 and 64 bit flavors of win7. And outside of making a jowie disk, not once have I had to mess with any other files or load drivers.

Is this all due to doing a bootcamp install??? I don't bootcamp.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
No, I don't think its Bootcamp. The install problems are often related to other Macs or to upgrades. I did not have many issues either. One of them was the AppleMNT.sys driver screwing up my XP updating to SP3. That is an issue that will hit everybody according to Apple.

One other issue I had when I Wincloned a Vista-64 from a MP1,1 to a MP4,1 was the chipset install. I had to do it immediately and separately or I would loose the USB and all capability to input with keyboard or mouse.

21ce

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
i have a 1,1 Mac Pro

I'm a little confused on why you guys are having EFI problems during install... I personally had a problem because I had 32-bit vista and 64-bit wouldn't install over it. I had to backup my windows side, format the partition and do a fresh install of windows 7 64 (bootcamp on SL). Never ran into any BSODs, installed a few engineering programs and games with no issues. I constantly use the windows side as well...

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
A Good Site With Instructions

For anyone with a 2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1) that wants to install 64bit Win 7, the following site has easy instructions with pictures for preping the dvd!

URL: http://jowie.com/blog/post/2008/02/...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

Once installed, copy bootcamp from your Snow Leopard dvd to your HD and then in the \Drivers\Apple folder right click BootCamp64.msi select properties and enable compatibility mode (select Vista). Next, right click the MSI and choose run as administrator and you should be all set.

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
The install problems are often related to other Macs or to upgrades.

Perhaps that's it, as I have always done fresh installs as well. To me a good reason to keep doing them. Always seems to me to be about the same amount of effort with less troubles.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I'm a little confused on why you guys are having EFI problems during install... I personally had a problem because I had 32-bit vista and 64-bit wouldn't install over it. I had to backup my windows side, format the partition and do a fresh install of windows 7 64 (bootcamp on SL). Never ran into any BSODs, installed a few engineering programs and games with no issues. I constantly use the windows side as well...

To clarify, did you use a retail Windows 7 install or one of the patched installs listed above?

justinbiondi

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
Error: Hm....

I am pretty sure I have followed all of the procedures properly,. but I get this error:

"ERROR: Could not open boot sector file "c:\win7iso\boot\etfsboot.com
Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified."

Any suggestions? I can follow directions but I am not too computer savy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.