Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jizzle032

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Just wondering which external hard drive is good for your mac. I have a mac mini and would prefer a 500+ external hard drive, firewire800 would be best. So, which one do you use?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I use the Western Digital 1 TB MyBook
It has been excellent for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
western digital mybook. i use the essential edition which is only usb, but they have versions for firewire 400, 800, and esata. I recently purchased an Airport Extreme. If I already didn't own a mybook, I would've purchased a Time Capsule

Blake the Great

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
Ohio
A Seagate Freeagent Go 250Gb. Seagate makes both mac and PC versions but the PC version is cheaper [though lacks firewire] and works well with my iMac.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
I am using ...

A Western Digital 2 TB unit with firewire 800 connection. I also have a 1 TB WD unit running off of the USB drive but it very slow by comparison.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I just use a cheap metal/mesh one I bought online. I don't know why I would need an expensive case for 2.5 inch drives...

Although my next investment for a scratch disk will be something like a velociraptor in a case with FW800.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
SEARCH FEATURE FTW.

With that being said, I use the Western Digital My Book Studio 1TB for Back-Up, I have a G-Tech G-Raid 2 for media work and I use an. Iomega UltraMax Pro 2TB for Back-Up of both other drives.

Jizzle032

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
you guys have any problems with your external hard drives? My mini fails to recognize some webcams i tried out coming out of sleep so I have to unplug the webcam and plug it back in every time!..., you guys don't have the same problem do you (speaking mostly to those with a mac mini 09, but everyone else can respond)?

Thanks

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
hd_mini.jpg

160 GB FW 400 LaCie mini. It was made for a Mac mini to sit on top of it. I no longer have the mini to go with it, but it still works fine, no reason to replace it.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Umm... I have had no problems with any of my external hard drives. I have had a couple of Sony USB Drives Fail (I have like four of them, picked them up in August 8GB for 18 a piece...)

nman040

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
I've got a couple of questions for those who have the Western Digital My Book Studio 2TB (users of the My Book Studios of other makes/capacities feel free to comment since I assume the "mechanism", for a lack of a better word, is the same just that capacities vary):

1)
Does it have problems going into sleep mode and waking back up? I've read reviews on some sites where they tend to freeze the comp while transferring files and sometimes they dismount when they go to sleep and have problems mounting back again (which can be solved with a restart).

2)
Is it absolutely necessary to install the programs that come on the HD? Is it right to assume that by not installing it I'll lose out on the capacity gauge monitor? Is there anything else I would be losing out on?
As much as possible I would like to avoid installing unnecessary utilities on my Mac

I am absolutely tempted to get me a 2TB My Book Studio but it seems that the My Book Studio range seems flawed when it comes to running on Macs. Amongst numerous reviews I've read here are a number from the Apple Store:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP750ZM/A?mco=NzM0ODkyMQ

Thanks for your feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.