Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2009
So after two days of heavy weekend use, I'm really impressed with how much faster nearly every single task I perform has become. I stopped to think about this a little and started to realize that the most striking speed increases don't seem to be CPU intensive tasks. In fact, I would suggest that the biggest improvements in speed seem to come from data I/O improvements.

So, I was wondering if anyone has uncovered any evidence to suggest that Apple has improved the speed/performance of the flash memory. Or is it possible that by simply increasing the size (I have a 32GB 3G S) that performance is better? I know that with SSDs, each subsequent doubling in size has come with better performance too.

That said, if it is the I/O improvements, I certainly hope that they don't notably degrade with time or I'll be making a habit of backup/restore once every few months I guess.

Regardless of the cause, I'm happy that "Checkbook" now loads up almost instantly and I have no delay for the input boxes to show up. I'm happy that Sim City is entirely playable! Also, so is katamari damacy woo hoo!

OmniFocus is super fast. Browsing is much much faster. So many animations are smoother with more frames. It feels like the 2g at launch time all over again even in third party apps.

Color me a very pleased 3G S user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.