Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Hey MR admins. There's been a problem that's ongoing in the App Store forum for the iPhone. Many developers, in an effort to promote their product, give away iTunes codes so people can download their application for free and then (hopefully) post back with suggestions and comments that will be helpful to the developer. In order to do this, they publicly post the codes in their own thread. These codes are invariably taken within the first couple minutes by the thousands of lurkers that read MacRumors. That being said, there is nothing wrong with lurkers, but in this situation, there is. They take the codes, are unwilling to post which codes they take, and then rarely register so they can give feedback to the developer.

An example can be seen here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/756103/

What I suggest is either a forum that is hidden from non-members or some kind of thread-type only viewable by members for the explicit purpose of putting iTunes codes in. This would lead to a lot less frustration; developers will get the feedback they desire and members will not waste time trying codes that have already been taken by casual readers.

If this problem is addressed developers will more willingly give out codes. As it stands, if they give out 20 codes they might only get a few comments at most in return.

Thanks for listening.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I seem to be making a lot of +1 posts, and I'm shocked to be making one to you BadAndy, but I think restricting visibility to the AppCode forum to actual posters would be great - the only problem is how would developers post as they often don't have many posts themselves?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I agree!!!

Might be just the little push some need to sign up and stop lurking.

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
I agree for sure. Nothing irritates me more than going through a huge list of promo codes only to find all are used.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Since this appears to be a ying/yang type of situation. With the developer getting exposure while offering 5-10 free codes.. They have a responsibility also so..

Make the Appcode free promos in the privates and only available to demi's.

The guy promoting his/her app would have to pay to be a contributor and the people receiving said free app codes would have to be contributors also.

It would also be another benefit for contributors.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is it a problem for developers if non-members use the codes? Why?

What if developers offered to give codes by Private Message, and then posted to say when no more were available?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The developers are using the forum to gain exposure of their applications. That can come whether or not the people that take the codes are registered on here or not. I would doubt that most care who takes them.

It just sounds to me like you've lost too much time trying to get free stuff. Even if the forum wasn't visible to lurkers, who says that they wouldn't register to do the same thing: take without posting? And why can you assume that only lurkers are causing the problem now, when it could also be active members as well? Even when registered members say that they have taken code xyz123, I rarely see followups on here about how the app is: for the few that actually do post a review, it is probably done on the iTunes store, making forum membership irrelevant.

What if developers offered to give codes by Private Message, and then posted to say when no more were available?
While this could work, just by browsing that section, it seems that many are making their first post to promote their application. In this case, they wouldn't be able to accept PMs.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
While this could work, just by browsing that section, it seems that many are making their first post to promote their application. In this case, they wouldn't be able to accept PMs.

The developer could use the forum's email function as the method to receive the request and respond by email. (but then the developer would have the forum members email address and the member would have the developers). But the best solution is to hide the forum from the lurkers.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
The developers are using the forum to gain exposure of their applications. That can come whether or not the people that take the codes are registered on here or not. I would doubt that most care who takes them.

I doubt that. Lurkers don't post back with their comments and suggestions for the most part and that's a big part of what drives developers to post their codes here.

It just sounds to me like you've lost too much time trying to get free stuff.

Nope, free stuff is nice, but I've never taken one of the codes that the developers put up. I'm just sick of them all being gone and 10 people posting back saying "all gone, I wish people would tell us what they've picked". Also, I think it would be in the developer's best interest and would lead to more free promos (if they got more feedback) and would make MacRumors a better site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.