Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
They were $699, at least as late as the end of June. Thats when I got mine. $599 is a FANTASTIC deal! I would recommend this to anyone with a MacBook.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
This is starting to approach Dell territory, plus you get a bunch of extra features.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Odd. Earlier this week the front page for the refurbs said they were 599, but clicking on them brought up the display page saying they were 699. I talked to an online salesperson, but they said it would be 699.

Perhaps it was a shadow what to come?

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Odd. Earlier this week the front page for the refurbs said they were 599, but clicking on them brought up the display page saying they were 699. I talked to an online salesperson, but they said it would be 699.

Perhaps it was a shadow what to come?

I noticed that too.

benborman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
I ordered one last night for my ATI 4870 equipped '06 Mac Pro, along with a 3' mini displayport extender from MonoPrice.

Can anyone who has bought this display refurbished tell me anything about the packaging? I saw some MacBook unboxing videos on YouTube, and the refurbished laptop was in plain cardboard packaging rather than the sleek boxes the new ones come in.

Just wondering...usually the displays require more intense packaging. Hoping for an original box...

Thanks in advance!

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You could likely find a box on eBay for less than $30, 10 times less than the difference between new and refurb.

If I was getting a unibody MBP, I would get one of these. Right now I don't have a laptop that can use one of these.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I wouldn't mind getting one for my iMac but then again, I like having just one display.

I thought that way too until I used a second display at work ;)
I'll be stealing my Mac Mini's current monitor as soon as I can get a TV to hook it up to.

benborman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Nope, just a plain white box. All the accessories are still included and new. $300 less just to sacrifice a box? Sign me up.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, you can't beat that price. I have been holding off on this purchase for a long time, but its totally worth it now, even if Apple does add to the display line soon, this price is just too good to pass up. I can do without a $300 box.

I think that the reason there were so many of these returned was not because they were defective, but because many users encountered the flicker/color shift issue (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/619417/) that ultimately was not the display's issue, but the video cards of the notebook having heat issues.

So most likely these are all perfectly fine displays being re-sold. I'll take it!

benborman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
You could likely find a box on eBay for less than $30, 10 times less than the difference between new and refurb.

Yep, that was my backup plan. I'll keep my eye out for a box-only deal on eBay. I like to have the original box because IMO it helps with resale value/incentive.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
When I bought my first 24" I didn't care about the limited connectivity. Now that I love that display, I'd buy another in a second if I could connect it to my PC and some game consoles. :(

GAS

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
What would you want the buttons to do? My couch doesn't have buttons either, but I bought it anyway.

Terrible Analogy.

One button I'd like for example would be a power button to turn the screen on and off.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Wonder if the new ones will drop in price? They should maake the new ones $500 and then people would buy them all the time. But for $900 wou could buy a 50+" TV.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What would you want the buttons to do? My couch doesn't have buttons either, but I bought it anyway.

Buttons to control the screen with an OSD, of course.
Monitors than can be controlled just by software on some platform are crap.

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Buttons to control the screen with an OSD, of course.
Monitors than can be controlled just by software on some platform are crap.

But all of Apple's displays have been like that for years.... so I guess I don't get why people would suddenly remark on it. The last ones that I think may have had an OSD were the blueberry CRT's (17" and 21") that came out with the G3 towers.

I suppose though that people have the right to complain about anything they like...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.