Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Okay, My parents have offered me a very big gift. They will match whatever money that I put into the spare room upstairs to change it into my own personal home office. At 16, having a room dedicated to my own computer would be awesome, and I would consider myself the luckiest kid ever :)

I have around $200 saved right now, so that means $400! Easily enough to replace that remnant carpeting with some laminate. We are making the 3 hour trek to IKEA on Monday to pick some stuff out and some flooring. I have attatched a photo of my final 4 options. I am leaning towards the 1.15 per sq. foot because it is part of the TUNDRA series and has a 15 year warranty. The 65 cent stuff would be more cost effective however.

We are painting the room on Sunday, and getting the Flooring on Monday. The floor has to sit for 48 hours pre installation, but I will post pictures every step of the way. The first two pictures are of the space currently. The only thing staying is the ceiling fan! (I would also like to add I already have a glass L-shaped desk in storage, because it wont fit in my room)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 234
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 155
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 457

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
Fixin' to be a great thread to follow. Are you headed to the IKEA in Schaumberg, IL? There and Cincy are the closest to me.

Don't forget the rule: KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. You don't need a lot of "stuff" to make a room look nice. And make sure you do very thorough research before you commit to buying anything. I never purchase anything until I'm 95% sure that I have found the absolute best price.

$400 should make a mighty fine office space :cool:

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
When I first looked at this post (pictures only) I thought you were showing that you either added a door or deleted a door. I guess it pays to read. :D

Best of luck - looking forward to see how it turns out.

Cheers.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Thanks guys :) I am actually heading to the Canton, MI IKEA. We live in Northern Michigan.
I am going to keep it simple. I have a dark grey/black color scheme, and I am going to try to shoot for a vintage modern design. I would like to have maybe like a wall shelf with some old cameras and a world globe or two on it. We will see how that turns out. I am only going to bring in black and white pics/ with the exception of one accent piece I haven't decided on yet.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
It seems like top left would match the door and trim the best, but I'm leaning towards bottom right.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
It seems like top left would match the door and trim the best, but I'm leaning towards bottom right.

I Kind of like the top right haha :) The walls are going to be a grey color, and I might add an accent wall in black, and have stripes in different gloss colors. (like the wall the same paint color, just the stripes being in different sheens.)

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Update: Nothing much.. Emptied out the entire room and painted the ceilings. Its white, so it doesn't really look any different but since this is the picture gallery I thought it should have a picture :) The real painting is tomorrow.

Also notice that I patched a huge hole I found in the door under the Rumor Has It poster.. (The room was my sisters, and she had never seen it before :rolleyes:)

SANY0139.jpg

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
It's funny how much time people spend planning their studies/offices. When I knew I was moving, the thing I spent the most time on was planning exactly how I'd have my office laid out.

When I viewed the house, I decided instantly which room would become my office, measured it, and sat down with a room planning program. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out how I planned, and I'm still trying to organise my office - for a start, my girlfriend decided she wanted a desk in the office so I have to share :(

Good luck with the painting tomorrow :) looking forward to the pics.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Wow your lucky i didn't get the spare room until i was 20! that was when my brother moved out. Then again my parents would not let me do anything to the room :( Interested to see how it turns out.

Shu15

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
United States
It's funny how much time people spend planning their studies/offices. When I knew I was moving, the thing I spent the most time on was planning exactly how I'd have my office laid out.

When I viewed the house, I decided instantly which room would become my office, measured it, and sat down with a room planning program. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out how I planned, and I'm still trying to organise my office - for a start, my girlfriend decided she wanted a desk in the office so I have to share :(

Good luck with the painting tomorrow :) looking forward to the pics.

Do you remember what the name of the room-planning program was called? I'm looking to redesign a room a bit. Thanks!

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
I agree on the office planning thing :) Although, I really enjoy interior design, and a lot of planning went in to my bedroom also.

I have decided on flooring from the TUNDRA series though. The SLATTEN reviews aren't the best.. I am debating if I want to use the glass L-Desk, or purchase 2 MIKAEL $49.99 desks or 2 VIKA tables and have my chair in the middle of the two. (look at attachment. I cant describe these things haha)

Attachments

• setup22.jpg
    setup22.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 112

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
The 65 Cent stuff looks pretty similar to what i have, havent had any problems with it.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Thanks guys :) I am actually heading to the Canton, MI IKEA. We live in Northern Michigan.
I am going to keep it simple. I have a dark grey/black color scheme, and I am going to try to shoot for a vintage modern design. I would like to have maybe like a wall shelf with some old cameras and a world globe or two on it. We will see how that turns out. I am only going to bring in black and white pics/ with the exception of one accent piece I haven't decided on yet.
I love the Canton Ikea.

I used to work at a sushi restaurant about 2 blocks away from Ikea, and I'd go there every day on my lunch break for some food. I also went there on opening day and got free stuff, haha. I HATE their carts though! They are NOT normal and rotate 360 degrees and I can never keep them going straight and have fallen over leaning on it while walking D=

I am liking that second choice of flooring though =3 But before you hit Ikea and make your final decision, check EVERYWHERE. Lowes sometimes has good flooring, and so does Home Depot. Hell, I got some amazing laminate flooring like your cheapest option from Big Lots for about $0.30/sqft

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
I love the Canton Ikea.

I used to work at a sushi restaurant about 2 blocks away from Ikea, and I'd go there every day on my lunch break for some food. I also went there on opening day and got free stuff, haha. I HATE their carts though! They are NOT normal and rotate 360 degrees and I can never keep them going straight and have fallen over leaning on it while walking D=

I am liking that second choice of flooring though =3 But before you hit Ikea and make your final decision, check EVERYWHERE. Lowes sometimes has good flooring, and so does Home Depot. Hell, I got some amazing laminate flooring like your cheapest option from Big Lots for about $0.30/sqft

LOL about the carts. I just use the little bag trolley things. People are always staring at me trying to control the carts haha. We have looked at Home Depot, but their 99 cent stuff looks like IKEA's 65 cent stuff. I cant find Anything like the Dark IKEA stuff for anything close to that price.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
LOL about the carts. I just use the little bag trolley things. People are always staring at me trying to control the carts haha. We have looked at Home Depot, but their 99 cent stuff looks like IKEA's 65 cent stuff. I cant find Anything like the Dark IKEA stuff for anything close to that price.
That stinks! We are in the process of renovating our entire home, and we've seen some things rather affordable every now and then, I guess it depends on the season, maybe? I'm rather ignorant with when home supplies go on sale =\ I just know that floors get really expensive really fast DX

Try the carts, I dare you.

EVERY time D= I do something stupid with them every time I try using them. The employees laugh when I debate whether or not it's worth it to take one, but then they're just so useful when you're buying plants and stuff.

I'm pretty excited to see how your room turns out.

Also, out of curiosity, where in Michigan are you from? I spend about 2 months up in Ostego, though I also travel around Muskegon, and Laughing Whitefish Falls every now and then.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Also, out of curiosity, where in Michigan are you from? I spend about 2 months up in Ostego, though I also travel around Muskegon, and Laughing Whitefish Falls every now and then.

I am in West Branch. It is about 50 minutes north of Bay City/Saginaw

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
The best is when you run and jump on the carts while making them spin. Albeit dangerous, its a blast.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Cutting is just about the most unrewarding, most boring thing about painting. I was getting so bored LOL.
IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Once I started to roll it got a lot better. (in the below pictures, you cant really tell the color. It looks more like how it looks in the cutting pictures, and the attachment.)
IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

I noticed that the color doesn't really show on the iPhone Pics. It is "Chelsea by the sea" by Ace Paint.

Flooring tomorrow! :)

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 128

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the upgrades. The angled areas on each side of the window should probably be painted the wall color (grey) not the ceiling color (white). I believe that's how they do it on all the home improvement type shows. On your way through the tri-cities to Ikea, wave as I'm here in Michigan too!

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the upgrades. The angled areas on each side of the window should probably be painted the wall color (grey) not the ceiling color (white). I believe that's how they do it on all the home improvement type shows. On your way through the tri-cities to Ikea, wave as I'm here in Michigan too!

yea I would like to have done that, but they are textured like the ceiling, So it would have looked weird up close

cciliberto33

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2009
I agree on the office planning thing :) Although, I really enjoy interior design, and a lot of planning went in to my bedroom also.

I have decided on flooring from the TUNDRA series though. The SLATTEN reviews aren't the best.. I am debating if I want to use the glass L-Desk, or purchase 2 MIKAEL $49.99 desks or 2 VIKA tables and have my chair in the middle of the two. (look at attachment. I cant describe these things haha)
TBH get a L shaped and put it in the corner so if you want to put a TV and couch in that room you have that perfect space for it!

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I am in West Branch. It is about 50 minutes north of Bay City/Saginaw

=D West Branch has an awesome outlet mall thingy! I've actually only been to West Branch once on my drive up north though, it was SO HARD to find a book store D= I was sad and just had to keep going north for a while =(

It's pretty off of 75 though ='D

I'm liking that blue, it looks like a really happy color if that makes any sense at all =\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.