Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmayor92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
PA
theres alot of leechers in the code sharing forums who just take the code and never leave reviews or even tell the OP that they took a code.... i think we should make it so people can only access it if their a "macrumors member"

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
At the point at which you post the code to a public forum you lose control of the code. Yes people should be more grateful of your work/assistance being provided for free, but in saying that, what do you hope to achieve with the restriction? People post enough elsewhere and they can still take your code and be ungrateful bastards.

Along with this you would need to consider membership length as much as post count. Not all people are on here to post excessively.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There's a tradeoff involved. Limiting which members can access the Code Sharing forum might lead to members being a little more responsible in leaving feedback or noting that they used a code, but that's no guarantee, and it would reduce the audience for developers and tempt users into making useless posts to add to their post counts. Requiring a minimum length of membership would reduce that temptation, or let us avoid a minimum post count, but would further limit the audience. Overall, such a change would probably not be worth it.

In theory, software could be written to reveal codes only when you post in the thread, but a simpler solution for developers who are concerned about the code sharing process is to offer codes to people who contact them, instead of posting them publicly. We don't mind either way.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Most of the developers that post the codes join for just that reason- To post those codes.

If you make a post count limit/time limit, then that would drastically reduce the number of developers that post the code.

The best solution would be the developer to hand them out via Private Message, but as I recall, I think there is either a time limit or a post count limit for Private Messages also....
The easiest thing we can (And should) do is to make it so only registered members can see the Code Sharing forum, but again, if non-registered people can't see it, they [developers] won't join because they don't know it exist, and that would also reduce the number of codes that are posted.

How about when you register there being a box that says "Check this if you're an iPhone devoloper". Then, only limit people that check that box to post new threads in that forum. I don't know how easy that would be to implement though.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The easiest thing we can (And should) do is to make it so only registered members can see the Code Sharing forum...
This is already true. Technically, it depends on being logged in, not just registered.

but again, if non-registered people can't see it, they [developers] won't join because they don't know it exist, and that would also reduce the number of codes that are posted.
Perhaps it does, but that's up to the developers. We'd like them to start a thread about their applications, not just post codes, and many do. It doesn't take many posts to be able to use Private Messages.

How about when you register there being a box that says "Check this if you're an iPhone devoloper". Then, only limit people that check that box to post new threads in that forum. I don't know how easy that would be to implement though.
We seriously considered having developers "sign up" for their special status, and automating some of the handling of the rules and priviliges that apply to them, but it wasn't a practical choice, and most developers are already quite cooperative.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I don't really think that the developers care who gets the code. They simply want to get the app out there for people to use and show their friends. This can and will happen with or without certain qualifications and as it is, anyone can be a leech regardless of length of membership or post count. And so long as people take codes without posting which ones have been used, some members will continue to complain that they can't get their free codes and request tighter and tighter restrictions until the forum becomes a much less useful tool to the seller.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't really think that the developers care who gets the code. They simply want to get the app out there for people to use and show their friends.

Err... if I was a developer, I'd much rather get my app into the hands of someone who will provide meaningful feedback, or perhaps a more well-known blogger or online personality than some anonymous MR browser.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Err... if I was a developer, I'd much rather get my app into the hands of someone who will provide meaningful feedback, or perhaps a more well-known blogger or online personality than some anonymous MR browser.
While I agree with you completely, I don't think that posting the codes on a public forum for all to see really accomplishes that. If they're just setting them out to be taken, the goal must be to get the app out there. A direct means of contact with a well-known and reliable reviewer would be pretty much the only way to make sure that this is done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.