Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngardiner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hey everyone, I have two macs (a macbook pro and an imac) and am wondering if I can install Snow Leopard (the single user copy I bought) on both... or will they report in to Apple and say that it's been activated already? I have no problem buying another copy if I have to but this would save me some time and money! Thanks for the help!

johngardiner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2008
It's illegal. Stop being a cheap but and just buy the family pack for 49 dollars. Apple isn't asking you for a serial and you feel like stealing?
The :apple: is watching

Thanks for reading my post so carefully. I said I have NO problem buying another copy.. and I'm not being cheap.. I'm one SINGLE user on 2 mac's. I know that you love your :apple: but you don't have to be a jerk on the forums.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
What you need is this:

http://store.apple.com/ said:
About the Family Pack

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including students who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

Your specific questions about whether Snow Leopard did any sort of activation or serial number checking sure sounds like you already knew it was illegal and were just asking if you could get away with it. I think that attitude warrants the mild response you received.

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
and none of these repliers have ever broken a speed limit either!

But I have a slight slant on this question, I HAVE the family SL disk with 2 install's done so far, and my father now has my old MB, Can i install it on his MB?? Seeing as he doesn't live in the same house as me? as the wording states the machine have to be in the same house although he doesn't reside there, so if he comes to visit and I upgrade his machine it'll be ok yea??? The machine will be in the same house, and I'm guessing the only issue would be if he needed the disk again.

As technically and from a receipt and purchase point of view its my macbook

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
OP: See if you can return your copy of Snow Leopard to the Apple store, and exchange it for the family pack for $49. Much cheaper that way, than to just buy a second copy, and you can install it on up to FIVE computers in the same house for that price.

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Apple works on the honor system, so it all comes down to your conscience.

You can buy one copy of Snow Leopard and use that one copy to upgrade every Intel Mac on the planet if you do not feel morally ashamed at breaking the EULA.

If you are worried or need to ask the world on a public forum if it is ok to break the EULA, then you are best purchasing the Family Pack or a license for every Mac you plan on upgrading so that you can sleep well at night.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Apple trusts it's Mac users. You can install single user Snow Leopard on a hundred Macs if you chose to, you can buy the $29 upgrade if you're using Tiger instead of paying the $169 and it will work fine. No activation, serials, or genuine advantage. It just comes down to you choosing whether or not to do the right thing. If everyone pirates Snow Leopard, then Apple will change their minds and enforce Microsoft style activation upon all of us, the few ruining it for the many.

Apple trusts you, so you should respect that and do the right thing.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008

But I have a slight slant on this question, I HAVE the family SL disk with 2 install's done so far, and my father now has my old MB, Can i install it on his MB?? Seeing as he doesn't live in the same house as me? as the wording states the machine have to be in the same house although he doesn't reside there, so if he comes to visit and I upgrade his machine it'll be ok yea??? The machine will be in the same house, and I'm guessing the only issue would be if he needed the disk again.

I speed, but I don't complain when I get caught and I pay my fine. What the OP is asking is called theft.

As for your situation, no, it is not legal. You answered it yourself above. He does not live with you thus he is not a household member.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok, what about this...

Four members of the family, three Macs. Two are in the house, one is on a college campus. Legit to apply the Family Pack to all three? I think so, because the user of the "remote" Mac has our home address on driver's license and official college record, gets mail here, etc.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Thanks for reading my post so carefully. I said I have NO problem buying another copy.. and I'm not being cheap.. I'm one SINGLE user on 2 mac's. I know that you love your :apple: but you don't have to be a jerk on the forums.

Well I guess if we are being technical now, I'm a SINGLE user...

Not married.

:D:D

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Ok, what about this...

Four members of the family, three Macs. Two are in the house, one is on a college campus. Legit to apply the Family Pack to all three? I think so, because the user of the "remote" Mac has our home address on driver's license and official college record, gets mail here, etc.

Sounds all right to me. I don't think the dorm is a legal residence, so I would think that your child is still a member of your household.

gwmac

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Northampton, UK
In my book, that's fine, if you have a child at university I would consider them still to be part of the household - they are still on the electoral register, they are still covered by your household insurance, and they still get their washing done at home. No problems I think, :eek:

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Kids off at school is specifically mentioned and permitted in the license text which is conveniently quoted in post #5 of this thread. No need to speculate.

cfortan

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Member of household

Interesting question. If I had a kid in college, and he/she had a mac, I would probably assume they would be considered a "member of the household". Insurance, voting registry, and census counts do for example. However, since you probably aren't providing >50% of support for your FIL, I doubt he would count.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
I speed, but I don't complain when I get caught and I pay my fine. What the OP is asking is called theft.

As for your situation, no, it is not legal. You answered it yourself above. He does not live with you thus he is not a household member.

Both are breach of contract, not theft. If they get caught, they'll pay their fines too

KratosKilla

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Hey everyone, I have two macs (a macbook pro and an imac) and am wondering if I can install Snow Leopard (the single user copy I bought) on both... or will they report in to Apple and say that it's been activated already? I have no problem buying another copy if I have to but this would save me some time and money! Thanks for the help!

You can install it on every computer in your house. There is your answer. There is no serial code or stopping mechanisms. Have a nice day.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
of course you can, but you are probably going to hell for it. in fact, I believe all of the copies of SL that exist out there, whether it be the retail, family pack, UTD etc, it's all the same copy, and it's the same copy that was leaked on the internet early in the month.

ComicStix

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Boston, Massachusetts

I don't drive so no speed limit breaking :D

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
of course you can, but you are probably going to hell for it. in fact, I believe all of the copies of SL that exist out there, whether it be the retail, family pack, UTD etc, it's all the same copy, and it's the same copy that was leaked on the internet early in the month.

I forgot about the 11th commandment "Thou shalt respect intellectual property laws"

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
If you have no problem buying another copy then just go and buy the family pack instead of whether or not you'll get caught violating the EULA. It's only $49 for up to five computers in your household.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.