Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As shown on the Apple Store:

Apple has stopped taking orders for the current iMac as we begin the transition from the current iMac line to an all-new iMac line which will be announced and available in September.

We planned to have our next generation iMac ready by the time the inventory of current iMacs runs out in the next few weeks, but our planning was obviously less than perfect.

We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers.

Rumors (thread, thread) circulated of an updated iMac sporting a G5 processor prior to wwdc, but indications were made that it would not be released at that time.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This is a very un-Apple-like way to announce a new iMac lineup. An apology on a page in the Store!?!?!? Did they mean to do it this way?

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
the_mole1314 said:
Apple admiting a new product? WTF? Is hell freezing over?

My thoughts exactly. This must have been a huge screwup, because it is *way* out of character.

Apparently they ran out of stock while waiting for the iMac G5... ok. Fine, but what really confuses me is that the "New One" wasn't ready enough to at least show off at WWDC and get huge press????? WTF?

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
"Apparently they ran out of stock while waiting for the iMac G5... ok. Fine, but what really confuses me is that the "New One" wasn't ready enough to at least show off at WWDC and get huge press????? WTF?"
Edit: Maybe they think that pro users are willing to wait for a pre-release product while home users just won't put up with that. I think pro users understand why they can order something and wait fora couple months for it to arrive while the average home users just doesn't get that concept ( and for a good reason).

Oh this makes me so happy to hear apple doing this.

And finally, no more freaking "iMac tomorrow" posts!

BEN

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Did someone hack into apple.com?

This is so unlike Apple. However, they've handled product introductions and other matters rather differently since Steve promised 3Ghz a year ago.

I like it.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Macrumors said:
As shown on the Apple Store:

Rumors (thread, thread) circulated of an updated iMac sporting a G5 processor prior to wwdc, but indications were made that it would not be released at that time.

Holy crap!

This has to be the worst product scheduling ever!

My guess: the G5 iMac is done, rolling off the assembly line minus the 970fx. IBM is still not able to deliver the chips in volume, at least not enough to feed the Power Macs, Xserves, AND iMacs.

Armsreach

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Is it possible that they truly were planning on releasing this at WWDC and that because of chip problems it didn't pan out? Insane. I'm just waiting for the, "So that means that the new Powerbooks are coming in August, right?" :p

<edit>D'oh! All you quick typers out there.</edit>

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Very wierd... This makes me wonder how different this new imac is, obviously not the same enclosure by a long shot. Perhaps the previous rumors of a LCD w/CPU on the back are true? I'd think it hilarious if they did something like that with the new 30" display. Hard to not have another MacTV with screen size like that, no matter how much Steve J. hates it.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2004
Apparently they ran out of stock while waiting for the iMac G5... ok. Fine, but what really confuses me is that the "New One" wasn't ready enough to at least show off at WWDC and get huge press????? WTF?

Very Good point. Why not announce it then and say shipping in September?!?!?

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Armsreach said:
I'm just waiting for the, "So that means that the new Powerbooks are coming in August, right?" :p

If MR people had a brain, then this article would actually put that to rest. Apple never has problems *THIS* *GIGANTIC*. If IBM's yields (likely cause) are so low, does anyone really expect to get Powerbooks soon *too*?

/me Crosses fingers for a little bit of MR sanity, then cries and gives up in hopeless realism.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
As commented on above, I have never seen Apple pre-announce an upcoming new product line before in my many, many years of Apple-watching!

It's both shocking and comforting to know when there will be a new product. IMHO, this is a good thing to avoid dragging out an old product (and not get flack for it).

September!! Omg that is way to long, we several iMacs on order for our customers and our suppliers have zero stock! Apple better have some huge reserve to ship to their distributors or people are going to have to wait 3 months, that is ridiculous. Of course when they announce the new iMacs they won't ship until October.

VectorWarrior

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2003
Great news that the iMac is being updated but to me this seems to be another screw up of sorts/disappointment to come out of apple over the last few months. They promised us that this year was going to be something special... what goin on apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.