Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fungg3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
It's been 4 months of waiting, but finally, Ping! is now available on the App Store! Finally iPhone-to-iPhone messaging is possible, and this also works with the iPod Touch!

Ping! (FREE for a limited time!) uses push notifications and a unique ID, similar to Blackberry Messenger, so messaging your friends can extend to ANY country for FREE (carriers are not involved)!
While there are plenty of SMS and IM alternatives that allow free messaging, Ping! offers significant advantages:

Why Ping! beats IM:
  • No need to log in/out. We know how much people hate getting bumped off when you log onto another device.
  • No need to accept friends. All you need is your friend's Ping! ID to start messaging immediately.
  • Offline messages guaranteed. Some IM apps do not support offline messages or only support it with specific software (e.g. MSN). All Ping! messages are stored offline until received.
  • VERY Affordable. We're offering this for FREE for a limited time.

Why Ping! beats SMS:
  • No monthly cost. Paying for data AND sms is not exactly good news.
  • No roaming charges. With some apps, sms is free but are either exclusive to the US or support few carriers.
  • Faster delivery. Messages are not limited by carrier traffic. Notifications are instant.
  • Works with iPod Touch. Ping! works with iPhones, iPod Touch and other devices that Apple may offer in the future.

We know there is an ongoing debate for bbm for iPhone. I personally find it extremely useful since a lot of my friends have iPhones or iPod Touches. Let us know what you think and check out Ping! for FREE for a limited time. Thanks and hope you like the app!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2009.09.24 18.00.08 copy copy copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2009.09.24 18.00.08 copy copy copy.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Screenshot 2009.09.24 17.02.05 copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2009.09.24 17.02.05 copy.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 275
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 244
  • Screenshot 2009.09.24 17.09.29.jpg
    Screenshot 2009.09.24 17.09.29.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 357

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
I assume you use push so the app doesn't have to be running for you to receive messages? if so, just a bit of advice, you might want to mention that explicitly.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
seems cool. I thought this was an app to message blackberry devices by quickly reading title though.

fungg3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I assume you use push so the app doesn't have to be running for you to receive messages? if so, just a bit of advice, you might want to mention that explicitly.

You're right, it does use push. I'll add that in now. Thanks!

fungg3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Just curious. How is this different and/or better than WhatsApp?

Just trying to figure out the distinguishing qualities in these two apps.

Ping! works iPod Touches as well. WhatsApp does not. The user experience in Ping! is very similar to SMS (you can compare the screenshots). Ping! is straight forward and easy to use.

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
i dont understand this "Offline messages guaranteed. Some IM apps do not support offline messages or only support it with specific software (e.g. MSN). All Ping! messages are stored offline until received." if Ping! is always online.

i still dont see a benefit to this unless it comes from factory, all of my friends have AIM. beejive offers PUSH as well. i have a handful of iphone friends but it seems very redundant to have them go out of their way to DL this when i can just SMS them..or IM them because they also use AIM on their iphones.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
No need to accept friends? Yet you need a "Ping ID?" You might as well consider that a friend request..... I/other party has to request this information at least once, just like they would for Facebook chat, AIM, MSN, Yahoo msger, or any other IM service.

knoxtown

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
Everywhere
i still dont see a benefit to this unless it comes from factory, all of my friends have AIM. beejive offers PUSH as well. i have a handful of iphone friends but it seems very redundant to have them go out of their way to DL this when i can just SMS them..or IM them because they also use AIM on their iphones.

Then obviously this app isn't for you.

To the OP, this app is great. :apple:

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
i dont understand this "Offline messages guaranteed. Some IM apps do not support offline messages or only support it with specific software (e.g. MSN). All Ping! messages are stored offline until received." if Ping! is always online.

Yea totally man, Beejive and SMS completes and satisfies my messaging needs.

But hey hey....I dont want to hi-jack this guy's thread! So, it looks like a great app you've created and hopefully it works well for those who get it, and the best of luck!

madagi

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Hanover, PA
This is great!

Great app. A lot of people probably won't see the usefulness of this app but I personally think it's great and thank you for developing it. For my family, who have iPhones but don't use AIM and don't want to pay for a large messaging plan, this is perfect.

Only thing I've noticed so far... the Ping! icon in the upper left corner disappears when in landscape mode. So, you have to turn the phone to get back to the main "Ping!" screen with all of the different pings. I hope that makes sense.

Another thing, it'd be cool if (when you link a contact to your address book) the incoming Ping! says it's from the person as they're listed in your address book (rather than their Ping! ID). It does this when in the app, but the popup screen shows their Ping! ID. Not a big deal, just something to consider maybe.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
This app looks great!!! Thanks man.

Will all non pingers please leave the thread. Your AIM is calling you.:)

jkb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
California
Ping! works iPod Touches as well. WhatsApp does not.

congrats, nice app..

but to be fair, iPod touch can only receive a push notifications when connected to Wi-Fi:) don't you think you will be dealing with 100 email each day from iPod touch users saying that their push notifications don't work and giving you poor ranking? i get enough push notifications problems with iPhone users.

The user experience in Ping! is very similar to SMS (you can compare the screenshots). Ping! is straight forward and easy to use.

i feel that whatsapp is straight forward and easy to use, but i am just a little bit biased to say the least:)

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Ping! works iPod Touches as well. WhatsApp does not. The user experience in Ping! is very similar to SMS (you can compare the screenshots). Ping! is straight forward and easy to use.

Does this require verification codes when users install it first like Whatsapp? As those guys dont get back to users when the verification code does not arrive and the users are waiting for ages. I am gonna give this a try and see how well it works, if it does, its goodbye Whatsapp.

Yea totally man, Beejive and SMS completes and satisfies my messaging needs.

Ya but you dont understand, not everyone on the other end has MSN or IM's so if they have an iPhone and not at their computers then SMS is the only options. Its great for me cause my family uses iPhone but they dont use any IM on the computer. So its very useful if there is no IM

fungg3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
how do you set up your own picture on it?

Your friends can press the Link to Address Book button, which links their contact photo of you.

Ping! is not an IM system where you set up your own picture. You can think of it as straight forward sms. That's why it uses your existing address book.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
app is cool and works well, only problem i'm having is that some buttons and names contain "STRING ...." so i don't really see the users name but something "STRING ...."
I'm on 3.1 with an iphone 3gs, is that a know bug or anything i can do?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.