Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
I thought an update to Snow Leopard would sort this, but no luck.

My "Open Recent" lists in every single app are always blank, even though I have opened docs using them. I have fiddled about in Preferences > Appearance > Number of Recent Items, changing it from 10 to 15 to 0 back to 15, but no luck. It's ALWAYS blank.

I've not found anyone with a similar problem who's managed to sort it. Any ideas? :(

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
com.apple.recentitems.plist

Find the above file in your Users > Home folder > Library > Preferences
Drag it to your Desktop
Restart

Set the number of Recent Items again for good measure, then open several files so you can see if things are "registering" now.

If that fixes it, Trash the file you moved to the Desktop.

If not, post again. There has to be a solution somewhere...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
:(

Have you tried logging in as a different user? If you only have 1 user, create a new one with Administrator privileges.

jbickers

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
the other user is just to test, its results tell us if its a user based problem or a system wide problem (the first guy tried to identify if it was user based by pulling a user based preference)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yes. Same answer to your previous question... Dump your old User and create a new one (to use the old name) or use the new one you already created.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Starting over with a new login? I can't even seem to get access to the files on the other account, however I set the permissions on them.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Just try setting the preferences again on your original account:
System Prefs > Appearance > Recent Items.

Not the first and probably not the last to have SL switch recent items to None.
S.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Starting over with a new login? I can't even seem to get access to the files on the other account, however I set the permissions on them.
In the Finder, go to Help > Mac Help
Click Index, then Accounts - lots of topics
"Creating a new user account" is probably what you want to read first.

Just try setting the preferences again on your original account: System Prefs > Appearance > Recent Items.

OP said that was done. Why would doing it again work now?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Find the above file ...
That file only affects the Recent Items that appear on the  menu. It doesn't affect the Recent Items that appear in each application. For many apps, the Recent Items appears in the .plist file for that application, but not always. Actually, the OP's problem is something I've wanted the ability to do intentionally: Clear all Recent Items from all apps at the same time. I haven't found any method to accomplish this. I agree with the OP that it's a pain to create a new user account and have to re-configure it to match your previous account.

To the OP: try deleting the .plist for a particular app, such as Preview:
Picture 4.jpg
then relaunch the app. See if that works on one app. If it does, you can try deleting the .plist files for as many apps as you can find.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
That file* only affects the Recent Items that appear on the  menu.

*com.apple.recentitems.plist (to save anyone the trouble of looking back)

Thanks for that info. Your strategy might be something the OP should try, but... I have to wonder why this would happen to several applications rather than just to one.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Thanks for the suggestion, GGJstudios. While it didn't work, it was worth trying. The whole situation is very odd I feel, especially since it wasn't fixed by the Snow leopard upgrade.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Sorry to return to this two-year old thread, but the problem still persists and I wondered if anyone else had any ideas. Weirdly, or maybe not weirdly, the problem occurs in all programes except Ableton Live, Gimp and Inkscape. Hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.