Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I've found preorders to be counter productive when delays happen and people will want refunds after about the two week waiting mark. This was in the past with other products.

Pre-order with payment isn't probably the right thing, but maybe a "reservation" system would be better? So far almost each batch was sold out within a day. By the time I could read the notification email for your website, the card was already sold out. I'll keep trying for now.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
The amount of thorough testing and validation you put into this thing is incredible.
That´s why I prefere his cards over others solutions. Really, it´s not expensive. as they work perfect. Maybe in the future we can say that about other solutions, time will tell, but I will not take the risk to be a "beta tester". I have two from @troop231 and in more than a year, cero problems. And they work with my Apple Watch perfect.

waysideweed

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
We will be wrapping up anechoic chamber testing of our current batch in less than 3 weeks.

I just have a quick query, why do the cards need to be tested in an anechoic chamber? Isn't it an Apple wifi card with an adapter? What has been modified that needs testing?

RAMtheSSD

macrumors regular
It seems like the product was thoroughly tested and, overall, I am very happy with both, the performance and how it was shipped --I got a bit nervous when I saw a padded envelope, my postal worker is not all that careful. However, even though the instructions do speak to an OWC adapter, I could not get both, the adapter and the WiFi+Bluetooth because the flat cable forced a specific position in my 2010 15". It wasn't that big of a deal but the separate SSD would make things much easier with the "Big Sur on an unsupported Mac" experiment.

I am not looking for anything other than help and I would absolutely recommend the product, it works like a charm! Anyone have any experience with any of the BSDs? The invoice does say that there are no guarantees with other OSs but (AFAIK) that means windows.

RAMtheSSD

macrumors regular
Hi! This also applies to patched unsupported macOS versions that aren't officially supported by Apple.
I can honestly say that, with Catalina 10.15.7, it works like a charm. Apple stopped supporting THIS machine way back in El Capitan I think; far back enough that I do not remember and functional enough that it hasn't mattered at all until someone decided to turn my Mac into an iPad!

rb2112

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2021
...However, even though the instructions do speak to an OWC adapter, I could not get both, the adapter and the WiFi+Bluetooth because the flat cable forced a specific position in my 2010 15"....
Just to confirm, I thought we DO NOT need any other adapter if we purchase this item. I thought it could be installed without any modifications. 2012 MacBook Pro 15". Hoping they are ready soon...

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Just to confirm, I thought we DO NOT need any other adapter if we purchase this item. I thought it could be installed without any modifications. 2012 MacBook Pro 15". Hoping they are ready soon...
Correct.

RAMtheSSD

macrumors regular
RB, as a matter of fact, if I had not needed an extra SSD, I would not have had any problems. The part fits perfectly when the optical drive is there. I just need a couple of SSDs --they might become NVM2-- to raid 0 with a direct backup to iCloud far more than I need an optical drive. The problem is that I need 802.11ac far more than I need the extra ssd.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I can honestly say that, with Catalina 10.15.7, it works like a charm. Apple stopped supporting THIS machine way back in El Capitan I think; far back enough that I do not remember and functional enough that it hasn't mattered at all until someone decided to turn my Mac into an iPad!
This can be looked up. Really, it can.
This upgrade will work on the following models:

13" - Early 2011 through Mid 2012 - Model A1278
15" - Mid 2010 through Mid 2012 - Model A1286
17" - Mid 2010 through Late 2011 - Model A1297

High Sierra is the last MacOS officially supported by Apple on the 2010–2011 — ignoring the fact that HS support ended November 2020. It still runs, of course.

Catalina is supported on the 2012 as is Mojave. In November, 2021, Apple will drop official support for Mojave—again, won't prevent it from running. Catalina remains a supported MacOS through November 2022.

I have run Big Sur on my 2012 i7 MBP without incident as far as this wireless card goes. As others in this thread have reported, it just works.

My daughter is coming to visit next week with her 2012, identical to mine. Actually, it was originally mine but the wireless card didn't work so we swapped. I'm on the waitlist for the next batch and I hope it ships while she's here. I'd love to pop one into hers before she leaves.

Reactions: trifero

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
The other thread solving thiis problem, "Removal of the 12+6 adaptor thread" has been removed by a "moderator". Anyone knows something about this?

Sylves

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
I put my name on the waitlist last fall but I've heard nothing. Had expected to get one in January 2021. Are they still coming and can you confirm I'm on your waitlist?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.