Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Hi! I have a friend named Lindsay and I promised to help set up an online gallery for her photography. She is very good, but doesn't have the knowledge to upload and run a website. I know there have to be some php scripts / management systems out there which will allow her to easily put images online in a photo album format.

I was hoping one of you guys would be able to give me some recomendations of a good script or system to use. Thanks for any input it's greatly appreciated!

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks guys! This looks great, I will give it a try when I get some free time with my Mac later tonight.

wow.. that sounded kinda sick, oh well :D

Phyte

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
MrSugar I own a company that does just what you are asking for! You can have lindsey create an account on onclickpix.com, it's only $10 a year. That package hosts upto 1000 photos and has unlimited bandwidth. She will be able to use an iframe on her site(one line of code) to add her albums/pics to her website. This way you only have to add one line of code, instead of integrating a whole application. We just launched, and the site was programmed on my mac, so it's 100% compatable :D

http://www.onclickpix.com

Phyte

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the Coppermine tip, Benjamin. I've been looking for a photo gallery system and this looks great from what I've tried to do with it so far. :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I checked out Gallery, but the setup just struck me as way too involved and I didn't feel like I had enough control over it. Coppermine was pretty straightforward the whole time.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Rower_CPU said:
I checked out Gallery, but the setup just struck me as way too involved and I didn't feel like I had enough control over it. Coppermine was pretty straightforward the whole time.

Thats interesting to hear. I agree that the Gallery setup is pretty involved, I managed to get through it, but it sure wasn't the easiest in the world. I'll have to give Coppermine a try sometime.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I'm giving my vote for Gallery. It RULES once you get it installed, and there's a plugin for iPhoto that allows you to sync your iPhoto collection with your Gallery page.

Lee Tom

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
LeeTom said:
I'm giving my vote for Gallery. It RULES once you get it installed, and there's a plugin for iPhoto that allows you to sync your iPhoto collection with your Gallery page.

Lee Tom

Now that makes me want to re-consider Gallery...

I'm assuming this is the one you use - iPhotoToGallery or get it at the main site -(http://zwily.com/iphoto/index.xsl)

edit - Nevermind, the setup is still horrible and that plugin is kinda flaky. Plus, Gallery sets up some directories as owned by the web server process so now that I want to delete the thing I'm locked out and have to contact my hosting support to get them deleted - horrible design.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Rower_CPU said:
edit - Nevermind, the setup is still horrible and that plugin is kinda flaky. Plus, Gallery sets up some directories as owned by the web server process so now that I want to delete the thing I'm locked out and have to contact my hosting support to get them deleted - horrible design.

Your host doesn't let you change permissions on folder under your domain? I'm a little confused by this one, where does it put files that you cannot delete? My host only lets me place file in my usr folder that I have complete administrative access over.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
davecuse said:
Your host doesn't let you change permissions on folder under your domain? I'm a little confused by this one, where does it put files that you cannot delete? My host only lets me place file in my usr folder that I have complete administrative access over.

The gallery software changes the owner and permissions for certain files to be owned by the web server process (i.e. Apache). Without superuser access via a "sudo", you can't change the owner/permissions to be able to delete the files. Luckily, you can get around it by having a PHP page change the permissions for you: Bharat's Cleanup Script

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Gallery does look good, but my vote goes to Coppermine. It's simple, powerful, and by default runs an OS X theme. Speaking of Coppermine, has anybody successfully integrated it with phpbb? I followed the setup to the letter but get a database error from Coppermine.

I'd avoid one called php Image Gallery from SoftComplex. It sounded really good and I paid $50 for it. Setup sucked and if I recall correctly it needed IE. I bailed and eventually moved to Coppermine.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Phyte said:
<snip>That package hosts upto 1000 photos and has unlimited bandwidth.<snip>

Unlimited bandwidth? What's your cap? There's always a limit..

Phyte

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
tomf87 said:
Unlimited bandwidth? What's your cap? There's always a limit..

Actually no there isn't :D I am very good friends with the owner of my hosting company and there is no cap on bandwidth. Right now it only averages ~100k constant throughput, because there are only about 100 members. I just launched this application about 3 weeks ago. I programmed the site to be completely scalable with load balancing. All I have to do is add another 1U server and it will start scaling across the servers.

Phyte

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.