Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
So it has been confirmed. Those iPhone users out of contract with O2 will be able to unlock their phones from 10th November - the day that Orange start to sell the phone in the UK.

What does the customer need to do?

For iPhone:-
complete the unlocking form on o2.co.uk (http://www.o2.co.uk/unlockmyiphone) - it will take up to 14 days for the iPhone to be unlocked and we’ll text the customer to confirm the unlock request.

Place a non-O2 sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes via a USB cable. iTunes will confirm that their iPhone has been successfully unlocked.

Also confirmed by O2 is that it will be free of charge

Alex - now a VERY happy bunny:):)

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Given that Apple have now realised they make more money with non exclusive agreements, I suspect that you may well see this next year.

Alex

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
So it has been confirmed. Those iPhone users out of contract with O2 will be able to unlock their phones from 10th November - the day that Orange start to sell the phone in the UK.

What does the customer need to do?

For iPhone:-
complete the unlocking form on o2.co.uk (http://www.o2.co.uk/unlockmyiphone) - it will take up to 14 days for the iPhone to be unlocked and we’ll text the customer to confirm the unlock request.

Place a non-O2 sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes via a USB cable. iTunes will confirm that their iPhone has been successfully unlocked.

Also confirmed by O2 is that it will be free of charge

Alex - now a VERY happy bunny:):)

yeah....:rolleyes: like your link works

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Hello...

November 10th !!!!!!!!! That's when the exclusive agreement ends.

Clearly they are not going to put the page up before then. And before you ask, I received the information this morning, in response to an email to them last Friday, following a statement by O2's CEO in The Times last week.

Alex

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Hello...

November 10th !!!!!!!!! That's when the exclusive agreement ends.

Clearly they are not going to put the page up before then. And before you ask, I received the information this morning, in response to an email to them last Friday, following a statement by O2's CEO in The Times last week.

Alex

Link to Times story.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
stop making up all this ****. there clearly not going to unlock it with all those links being dead

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
stop making up all this ****. there clearly not going to unlock it with all those links being dead

You can't request to unlock until November 10th.

Is it November 10th yet?

Try reading the interview with Matthew Key, the head of O2, in the Times story linked above if you don't believe it.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
After 12 months.

Surely not?

You're not tied into any contract with O2, they merely supply a SIM card you top up as and when you please.

I bought my iPhone 3G from Apple at full price, my outlay was with them, and I have zero commitment or contract with O2.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
According to the O2 bloke in the Times interview he says customers will need to honour their existing contract ... PAYG customers have no contract.

So hopefully this means we too can move freely.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
If Orange is a gentle beast, I'm going to use EU phone and service unlike the corporate greed ATT.

HJ76

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Humm, I wonder if (come Nov 11th) I will be able to unlock the 3G i will be upgrading from tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.