Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I sold mine - Apple needs to reinvent themselves with the old iPhone technology (yes, I called it old cuz it is - they can dress it up nicely but it hasn't changed much since the first iPhone). The problem with Apple is they rest on their laurels while other companies actually innovate and introduce new things.

Droid, here I come!!!!!! :D

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Sure, that makes sense. Completely dump a platform for another that hasn't been released when you could develop for both.

Now you've put all your eggs in...a vacuum.

Scippy

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
Sure, that makes sense. Completely dump a platform for another that hasn't been released when you could develop for both.

Now you've put all your eggs in...a vacuum.

He's going for the "new" platform. :p
You can't get much newer then not even released.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Apple doesn't innovate? That's why every phone maker has been scrambling the last couple of years trying to produce a touchscreen phone that will rival the iPhone.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I sold mine - Apple needs to reinvent themselves with the old iPhone technology (yes, I called it old cuz it is - they can dress it up nicely but it hasn't changed much since the first iPhone). The problem with Apple is they rest on their laurels while other companies actually innovate and introduce new things. Droid, here I come!!!!!! :D

Awww, you made poor Steve Jobs cry. He poured his heart and soul into the iPhone and then you'd go and say something like this! If he resigns from Apple today I'm blaming you. :eek:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've got an idea - rather than start all these new threads, let's just find all the pre threads from April and May, replace every instance of "pre" with "droid" and "webOS" with "android," and we can call it a day.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Have fun with that.

Only the truly hardware-ignorant people would think the iPhone 3GS is just a few minor changes to the prior iPhones.

It's much more than that.

Go have fun getting the newest thing even though it'll hurt you. And when you come crawling back to the iPhone it'll take you back with open arms.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I sold mine - Apple needs to reinvent themselves with the old iPhone technology (yes, I called it old cuz it is - they can dress it up nicely but it hasn't changed much since the first iPhone). The problem with Apple is they rest on their laurels while other companies actually innovate and introduce new things.

Who cares. It's your money so get what you want.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple doesn't innovate? That's why every phone maker has been scrambling the last couple of years trying to produce a touchscreen phone that will rival the iPhone.

Creating just an equivalent would be easy. The hardware isn't unique, and the iPhone's UI is very simple, which is why it's popular.

But no one's tried to do that. Instead, they've all been trying to create something more powerful, but still easy to use, and that's been the stumbling block. (Although I think the Pre comes closest, if they'd just make the screen larger.)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've got an idea - rather than start all these new threads, let's just find all the pre threads from April and May, replace every instance of "pre" with "droid" and "webOS" with "android," and we can call it a day.

Yup. Palm Pre didn't even increase Palm's market share one bit.
https://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/2...search-in-motion-in-smart-phone-market-share/

Good luck with iPhone competitor of the week while we enjoy the best consumer and business phone.

Study: iPhone leads in satisfaction for consumer, business smartphone users
http://obamapacman.com/2009/10/stud...ction-for-consumer-business-smartphone-users/

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
He's going for the "new" platform. :p
You can't get much newer then not even released.
not released?
Android, has been around since 10/21/08
Now hardware wise, 'Droid' ships on Nov 6 2009. BUT 'Droid' is NOT the only hardware platform out for the Android os.
So what the OP is doing is jumping ship for hardware that may better suit his needs. You can not fault someone for that.
I mean we all know that Professional Photog`s need at least 5MP :p
I'd love to see 'The Steve Jobs Project' ala Blair Witch shot exclusively on a droid :D cause we know HD Video > iPhone Video.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
Shouldn't you at least wait until this phone actually hits he market and you try it out before you jump ship? That keyboard still looks like a disaster to me. But good luck with it. Hope you like it.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
Yup. Palm Pre didn't even increase Palm's market share one bit.
https://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/2...search-in-motion-in-smart-phone-market-share/

Good luck with iPhone competitor of the week while we enjoy the best consumer and business phone.

Study: iPhone leads in satisfaction for consumer, business smartphone users
http://obamapacman.com/2009/10/stud...ction-for-consumer-business-smartphone-users/

When was that data taken? It was pretty much void as soon as it was published. Technology moves fast, keep up.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

Why would they continue innovating if it has taken this long for anyone to keep up? If you have a product that is selling, dont change it until you need to. That way, they always have an ace in the hole for the next itteration, once someone finally catches up. Hello 2010 iPhone.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
When was that data taken? It was pretty much void as soon as it was published. Technology moves fast, keep up.

They did it twice already, both times iPhone leads

Most likely will continue in 2010. The iPhone competitors are very much mimicking the iPod competitors FYI (omg features!)

Why would they continue innovating if it has taken this long for anyone to keep up? If you have a product that is selling, dont change it until you need to. That way, they always have an ace in the hole for the next itteration, once someone finally catches up. Hello 2010 iPhone.

There are different types of innovations
- technology advances
- software features
- usability
- and many more

Apple is working on innovation, but not as response to knock offs.

hobes270

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I am also going to Verizon. I will get the droid because it will be the "coolest" phone out on that network. But I am switching basically because ATT service is terrible. I dont mean call quality, I am talking about data. I cannot get 3G anywhere with ATT, and the internet is terribly slow. So yea here I come Verizon. Also if you check 9 to 5 or appleinsider, Verizon should be getting the iphone eventually in 2010 when ATT contract is up.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Good for you, OP. I wish there are more and more people like you so that Jobs is forced to listen to iPhone users. But, I am not too hopeful.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Prior to the iPhone people switched carriers and handsets all the time merely for a change of pace. If you're bored with the iPhone by all means get a Droid. I'd go for the one year contract on it though--its an unproven product.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Man, I wish the iPhone had a D-pad like the Droid does!

Welcome to 1986!

. Also if you check 9 to 5 or appleinsider, Verizon should be getting the iphone eventually in 2010 when ATT contract is up.

Sorry, but I don't think it's happening.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I'm just wondering why these people think we all are interested in why they are leaving. Can't they just sell the iPhone and leave already without having to inform thousands of people they don't even know of the fact?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm just wondering why these people think we all are interested in why they are leaving. Can't they just sell the iPhone and leave already without having to inform thousands of people they don't even know of the fact?

Agreed. While the iPhone is a great phone, it doesn't meet everyone's needs. If it doesn't meet the OP needs or wants, then by all means the OP should move to something else. I just don't see why they need to make such a big deal about it.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

You guys, Im going to white bread toast. Wheat toast just does not taste the same with strawberry jam and margarine. Wheat bread needs to innovate their taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.