Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
'She had on a white blouse, a blue skirt -- and legs. Wow! And legs," John Rocchio recalled of the first time he saw Emilia Antonelli in Providence in 1922. ''So I says to myself, 'I need to meet that broad.' "
And so he did. They fell in love and married. And they remain so today, 82 years later.
It is an astounding number and one that apparently makes John, who is 101, and Emilia, who is 100, the longest-married couple in the world.

Their union is the longest running in the world. Guinness is waiting for proper documentation from them prior to an official listing.

They declare no universal reason for the length of marriage. Just how their own worked. They had disagreements, but always worked it out.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Congrats to them - that's quite an accomplishment. I wonder how many kids/grandkids/great-grandkids they have by now?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
This is awesome. And I thought that my gradparents 60th anniversary was a big deal...:p

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
emw said:
82 years ago, getting married at 19 was waiting!

Very true indeed! My parents married at 21 and 24 respectively. If I did the same today, they'd kill me! :p

andy.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This is a great story, and a good lesson that when the going gets tough sometimes, you stick by each other. With divorce rates on the rise, it seems like people don't want to work through difficulties and issues anymore, that they don't want to put any effort into their relationship and just want to take "the easy way out" and divorce. There will always be challenges and problems in every marriage, but it is how the couple deals with these issues ansd communicates that will show how long they will stand the test of time, and how true their love really is for each other. So I applaud this couple as an embodiment of true love. Let them be an example for the rest of us :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Lacero said:
I see people marrying for the first time in their 40's.

This is very true. My only concern with this involves children. First of all, it is riskier and not as ideal for a woman to give birth the older she gets - 40 is somewhat pushing it. Besides the health considerations though, there is also one of the pure age gap. If you wait to have a kid until you're 45, do you really want to attend his/her graduation when you're 65? And once they are out of the house at 20 years old, or whenever, you'll be pushing 70! I would much rather bring up a child when I am relatively younger myself, so I can really enjoy the experience, play sports and what have you with them while I'm still active and fit, and not be older and possibly unable to participate in some activities. I also want to be able to enjoy spendnig time with just myself and my wife after the kids move out as well. Ever since I moved out, my parents have been traveling around the world and have essentially had a new life! They're doing things they couldn't do for the past 20-some years while they were busy raising me and my brother, and since they're young enough, they aren't having to worry about their health and anything else that would impede them from enjoying their "independence". :)

So I think it's things like this that need to be considered when thinking about getting married and having kids at an older age. Just some thoughts... :cool:

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
~Shard~ said:
With divorce rates on the rise, it seems like people don't want to work through difficulties and issues anymore, that they don't want to put any effort into their relationship and just want to take "the easy way out" and divorce.

True, but divorce rates aren't on the rise just because people don't want to work things out. In situations where there is abuse, etc, people are getting out of relationships that they need to get out of. It's not as much of a social taboo today to get divorced. Especially since women are more likely to be able support themselves, versus depending on a spouse. Maybe there was less divorce in the past, but it doesn't mean people were happier.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
noel4r said:
No man should get married before 30 nowadays.

I got married in 1972 at 24, my wife was 26. Happily married since. We have 49 years to make that record. Certainly longevity would have to increase.

Congratulations to John & Emilia Rocchio. May they have more happy life yet and not end up like the couple that Doctor Q posted about a few weeks ago.

I thought that it was cute when Emilia talked about "Making love" and then patted John's arm. :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacFan26 said:
True, but divorce rates aren't on the rise just because people don't want to work things out. In situations where there is abuse, etc, people are getting out of relationships that they need to get out of. It's not as much of a social taboo today to get divorced. Especially since women are more likely to be able support themselves, versus depending on a spouse. Maybe there was less divorce in the past, but it doesn't mean people were happier.

Well said, I agree - didn't mean to give the wrong idea in my initial post. ;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
My wife and I were both 22 when we were married, so we apparently have a shot at getting that record. Of course we'll need to cut down on the drinking, and move to higher ground to avoid global flooding, but I'd say we've got a shot....

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
noel4r said:

ouch, that sucks for me then, my girlfriend and I want to get marrried after her and i get out of medical school, and by the time she does i will be 32

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacFan26 said:
I know, just thought I'd throw that in there, lol :)

It's a good point though. Just because divorce rates are higher doesn't mean that there are fewer happier marriages - it may just mean that there were more unhappy couples years ago who didn't feel comfortable getting divorced and perhaps stuck it out for the wrong reasons. That being said, in today's society of irresponsibility and laziness, divorce can definitely be abused as a tool of convenience.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
That's really nice to hear. 82 years is quite a long time to be with the same person. Good for them :)

noel4r said:

What about women? IMO, 25 seems like a good minimum age.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
noel4r said:

I'm going to have to disagree here. I think it can be better to marry younger. I think that if you marry younger, you grow together with your spouse; whereas if you marry later, you're pretty much already set in your ways. And why is now any different than the 20s? If it's worked before, why doesn't it work now? I think most divorced couples married in their 30s or later. I can't think of too many couples I know who married young and got a divorce, especially compared to those who married later.

But then again, the problem with marrying earlier is it's easier to make a mistake and choose the wrong person. Well, I guess there's no definite answer. It just varies from person to person, I guess. But I definitely don't think that all people have to wait until their 30s. For some couples, younger definitely is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.