Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
So I'm switching from a PC to a Mac. And I'm buying a laptop. I've ruled out the Macbook because it would just not meet my requirements. The most I'd be willing to spend on a Macbook Pro is tops $2200 with 13% taxes and the Final Cut Express software. (I live in Ontario) I'll also probably get the apple care in within a year so i reduce the amount i have to pay right now and my mom won't freak out.
I'm really into video editing since I've been assigned to do weekly sports videos for school, and I have to make videos for class assignments and such. I also play around with photoshop for some graphics and gift ideas. By the way, I'm in grade 11.
I've read a few articles about what I would need in my Mac, correct me if I do not need any of these. So I've configured my Macbook to have 4gb RAM (apparently the more the better), I've increased my memory to go to 250gb (do i really need this much, I'm only a student and this will not be for work) since this will be my personal computer that I will keep EVERYTHING on from pictures, videos, documents, and possibly sims 3 (not sure yet, since I only have the PC version on my desktop).
I really don't care about the latest technology, I just need a laptop that works efficiently, good display and do i really need the backlit keyboard for working at night and will not break down before I go to university (in 2 years)
please help me pick out the cheapest but best option out of these three. Also these are my configurations for the laptops I've chosen for when i would order them.

MacBook Pro 13-inch
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
Aperture preinstalled
$1798+tax
$2031.74

Macbook Pro 15-inch
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (Local) & User's Guide (Local)
Final Cut Express preinstalled
$1998.00+tax
$2257.74

The things i'm now considering that will help me with my final decision is
a) 15 inch: will it be too big to use in university when having it in class?
b) 15 inch vs 13 inch sound: does the 15 inch's side speakers sound better then the 13 inch?
c) 15 inch: do the "graphics" (card...) do anything for me?
d) and do i really need a bigger screen of 15 inch or could i survive with a 13 inch with watching movies and video editing?

also does anybody know the discounts of the black friday here in canada? and is it both at the retail store and online? i'm looking more specifically at the Apple store at Sherway Gardens in Toronto

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
So I'm switching from a PC to a Mac. And I'm buying a laptop. The most I'd be willing to spend on a Macbook/Macbook Pro is tops $2200 with 13% taxes and the Final Cut Express software and the Apple Protection Care. (I live in Ontario)
I'm really into video editing since I've been assigned to do weekly sports videos for school, and I have to make videos for class assignments and such. I also play around with photoshop for some graphics and gift ideas. By the way, I'm in grade 11.
I've read a few articles about what I would need in my Mac, correct me if I do not need any of these. So I've configured my Macbook to have 4gb RAM (apperently the more the better), I've increased my memory to go to 250gb (do i really need this much, I'm only a student and this will not be for work) since this will be my personal computer that I will keep EVERYTHING on from pictures, videos, documents, and possibly sims 3 (not sure yet, since I only have the PC version on my desktop) and basically I have no idea what GHz does for the computer and so am I fine with 2.26GHz in both the MBP and MB or should i go for the 2.53GHz MBP?
I really don't care about the latest technology, I just need a laptop that works efficiently, good display and do i really need the backlit keyboard for working at night and will not break down before I go to university (in 2 years)
please help me pick out the cheapest but best option out of these three. Also these are my configurations for the laptops I've chosen for when i would order them.

MacBook Pro 13-inch
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook / MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll
$2,097.00+tax
$2369.61 worth it?

MacBook Pro 13-inch
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook / MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - Auto-enroll
$1,962.00+tax
$2217.06

MacBook
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide (English)
SuperDrive 8x DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW
$1,707.00+tax
$1928.91

If i were you, i would cross out the macbook as an option and go ahead and buy the top-end 2.53. You may not need it but it will last you 2 years or more if you want it too. The macbook pro has doubled the battery life over the regular macbook.

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
what is the reason for not getting the Macbook? is it too slow or what? I need some points so i can explain to my mom so i can convince her to be able to get the top-end laptop. :)

Chedam

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
New Zealand
I'd go with the 2.26GHz Pro. There are plenty of features missing from the new Unibody MacBook that make it a bad choice. That MacBook Pro should last plenty more than 2 years.

The battery life is actually the same as the Pro fyi.

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
what does the difference between the GHz do for the computer? In what way will it help for surfing the internet, uploading files from a USB key or video editing?

Chedam

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
New Zealand
what does the difference between the GHz do for the computer? In what way will it help for surfing the internet, uploading files from a USB key or video editing?

Surfing the web, including uploading files, and transferring files to / from a USB key won't be affected by the clockspeed (GHz). Video Editing may be slightly faster with the better model.

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
so should i just stick with the 2.26GHz? will this be enough for what i'm doing since i'm not thinking of pursueing any filming career therefore this is any typical everyday user's laptop that just does video editing. no hardcore gaming. maybe some online games.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
I'd go with the 2.26GHz Pro. There are plenty of features missing from the new Unibody MacBook that make it a bad choice. That MacBook Pro should last plenty more than 2 years.

The battery life is actually the same as the Pro fyi.

I back this up. Go with the 2.26 Pro. Paying an extra $100 USD is not worth the few MHz you gain for the 2.53, especially if you are on a budget. Don't go with the MacBook, here's why:

-no backlit keyboard
-screen is worse
-no firewire
-no SD slot
-marginally heavier and thicker (but not much)
-plastic, not aluminum

The 2.26 GHz Pro will suit you well for at least three-four years, most likely more. People might push you to get aftermarket RAM and HDs to save a few bucks (literally a few) but in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle (now that 4GB RAM prices are at around $100USD again). If you can, consider getting a 320 GB hard drive or a large external drive to store your movies on - your HD sure fills up fast (I'm speaking from experience). Also, an external drive would be a good thing to use to back up your data; 1TB is plenty.

Congrats on switching to Macs!:cool:

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
so should i just stick with the 2.26GHz? will this be enough for what i'm doing since i'm not thinking of pursueing any filming career therefore this is any typical everyday user's laptop that just does video editing. no hardcore gaming. maybe some online games.

Gaming has more to do with the GPU... all of your selections have the nVidia GeForce 9400M, a decent integrated GPU that is good enough for video editing and light to moderate gaming (although not excellent).

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Don't buy a mac if you want to play games.

Having said that, I have a 2.26 and spent a couple of weeks with a 2.53. The only thing I missed (but I really did) coming back to mine was the additional 2 gb of ram. That was a quick fix though and set me back around 70 euros. If you plan to run anything in a Virtual machine (I do because I find SPSS and Office for mac at least irritating, and have paid for both in windows.) you will need more than 2gb of ram.

I got my second 2.26 in November (gave the first to my brother) and it comes with Snow Leopard 64bit preinstalled which needs some more RAM than the 32bit version.

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
thank you so much for such helpful advice. I could seriously get 320gb on a 2.26GHz and still save about $60 than getting the 250gb and 2.53GHz.
Thank you so much and I'm totally looking forward to getting my new laptop. :D

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I'm not a gamer. I just put that in to just put it out there just incase anybody mentions anything regarding that.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The main factor for me selling my uMB and getting the MBP was

-MUCH better screen
-Built in battery offering more charge cycles and longer life

(The SD card slot and FW were bonuses)

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
not yet. i'll be ordering this upcoming tuesday. (mom's paycheck. :p)

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I know you don't care about the latest tech, but if you can wait until around February they should refresh the whole mbp line. Plus you can have fun reading the last 62 pages of "The unofficial 'I'm waiting for Arrandale' Thread" to pass the time. :D

Anike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
however, i need the laptop now since i need an video editing program and the trial for this computer will end really soon, and i was looking forward to buying a program but it's only PC compatible. and so i need the mac with final cut express to make my weekly videos.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I back this up. Go with the 2.26 Pro. Paying an extra $100 USD is not worth the few MHz you gain for the 2.53, especially if you are on a budget. Don't go with the MacBook, here's why:

-no backlit keyboard
-screen is worse
-no firewire
-no SD slot
-marginally heavier and thicker (but not much)
-plastic, not aluminum

The 2.26 GHz Pro will suit you well for at least three-four years, most likely more. People might push you to get aftermarket RAM and HDs to save a few bucks (literally a few) but in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle (now that 4GB RAM prices are at around $100USD again). If you can, consider getting a 320 GB hard drive or a large external drive to store your movies on - your HD sure fills up fast (I'm speaking from experience). Also, an external drive would be a good thing to use to back up your data; 1TB is plenty.

Congrats on switching to Macs!:cool:
You obviously have not seen the screen on the new Macbook, it's gorgeous. It's not hardly any heavier, I'm speaking of the new Macbook. The plastic is not much of an issue, now that the new Macbook is a unibody, it's very strong.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
You obviously have not seen the screen on the new Macbook, it's gorgeous. It's not hardly any heavier, I'm speaking of the new Macbook. The plastic is not much of an issue, now that the new Macbook is a unibody, it's very strong.

You're probably right :). I haven't seen the new MBs except online.

To the OP: enjoy your Mac!:D

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I actually saw the new white macbook in person and it looked great compared to every pc laptop in the store. Since I won't be getting a new laptop for a couple of years (knock on wood) I got the MBP because of aluminium thinner body, firewire (I use a FW audio interface) and 8GB of RAM. Most people don't need that much but I need a Linux and Windows Virtual Machine on 6-7 hours a day so it's nice to leave them idle and not affect the performance of my computer.

If you need a laptop get it now. After february, something else will be on the line... After all if you need to have the newest - better you can always sell your macbook and get the new one.

Warcraft Tauren

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
I have a 13" Inch MBP with 2.26 and 4 GIGs of ram and it is absolutely amazing. The screen is a little small but it is better for mobility. An external monitor will help in that regard.

when you get it, remember to calibrate the battery.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
I have a 13" Inch MBP with 2.26 and 4 GIGs of ram and it is absolutely amazing. The screen is a little small but it is better for mobility. An external monitor will help in that regard.

when you get it, remember to calibrate the battery.

Well, calibrating the battery isn't really that important, but it should be done every once in a while. See here.

KDCAB

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
13 MBP 2.26 vs 2.53 and 4GB vs 2GB

Hi eveyone!

I'm thinking of my buying my first Mac... Like many others I can't decide on which one to buy.

The following is all that I do:
1. MS office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
2. Transfering photos from my phone or digital camera and viewing them.
3. Internet - eMail, Watching music videos on YouTube and just browsing the net.

I don't use photoshop. I don't do video editing or photo editing. I don't paly games and I don't watch movies online, etc, etc.

My question is: While doing only what I do... Will I notice whether I'm using a 4GB Mac or a 2GB Mac?

What I've been told is... For an example: If the Mac OS and all the applications that I run only 1GB... Another 1GB is free on a 2GB Mac. And if I get a 4GB Mac... 3GB will be free. And 7GB will be free on 8GB RAM! Therefore, the chances are that I will never be using the extra RAM.

So, will I ever notice a difference between the two?

Please help me to decide whether I need to buy a 2.26 Macbook13" and upgrade to 4GB or just use it with the standard 2GB...

Thanks everyone!

KDCAB

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Hi eveyone!

I'm thinking of my buying my first Mac... Like many others I can't decide on which one to buy.

The following is all that I do:
1. MS office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
2. Transfering photos from my phone or digital camera and viewing them.
3. Internet - eMail, Watching music videos on YouTube and just browsing the net.

I don't use photoshop. I don't do video editing or photo editing. I don't paly games and I don't watch movies online, etc, etc.

My question is: While doing only what I do... Will I notice whether I'm using a 4GB Mac or a 2GB Mac?

What I've been told is... For an example: If the Mac OS and all the applications that I run only 1GB... Another 1GB is free on a 2GB Mac. And if I get a 4GB Mac... 3GB will be free. And 7GB will be free on 8GB RAM! Therefore, the chances are that I will never be using the extra RAM.

So, will I ever notice a difference between the two?

Please help me to decide whether I need to buy a 2.26 Macbook13" and upgrade to 4GB or just use it with the standard 2GB...

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.