Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemakin50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hey All

I currently have a 2007 24" iMac with a 500Gb HDD. With my addiction to downloading HD content filling up my hard drive iv'e decided its time to get an external hard drive. I'm gonna be using to back up key data (pictures and documents) and storing the majority of my video media. The reason for the thread is for two questions:

1. Do i get a time capsule? Despite the cost i really want one, they look cool and im looking for 1TB of space. Ive read the reviews on the apple store website and there littered with stories of failure after 18 months, if this is the case im not spending £230 for this to happen.

2. If i don't get an time capsule, ive got my eye on one of the Lacie 1Tb externals. If i get one of these, which is better? USB 2.0 or firewire.

Any suggestions or advice on these two questions or if you know of a better product then let us know

Thanks in Advance

Mikey

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Quite frankly you list two products whose track records are mixed. There seems to be a growing voice that Time Capsules fail after 18 months. I definitely wouldn't buy one given the complaints couple with the price. With that being said, LaCie has a mixed record too. I would highly recommend going for a drive that doesn't necessarily look as nice, but definitely performs better. Possibly Western Digital or OWC.

This guide has a lot of helpful information and links to other threads, I would highly recommend reading it, especially regarding LaCie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.