Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
I just got my Macally BTMouseJr and it was a great deal. I was holding out for the MacMice BT version, but after reading some less than stellar info about the company, I decided to research my other options.

Below are my first impressions of the Macally mouse:

The good news:

-Setup with my Powerbook was incredibly fast and easy.
-Tracking on tricky surfaces is among the best I've ever experienced with an optical mouse. Mousing on patterns that gave my old optical mouse trouble is smooth.
-Silver finish matches the Powerbook.
-No Bluetooth adapter, which means it is much cheaper than other models that come with the adapter included (this is only good news if you have BT built-in or already own an adapter)
-No rechargeable batteries, which I like because I don't want a cradle cluttering up my desk. I also like not having to remember to charge the thing.

The bad news:

-No on/off switch. The mouse goes to sleep on its own and is awakened by clicking any of the buttons. This means that while it's traveling in my Powerbook bag, every time the buttons get pressed (frequently), I'm wasting juice.
-Even with tracking set to the fastest in the Keyboard & Mouse system preferences, it is a little sluggish. I like a mouse that zips across my screen, and this one is a bit slower than most.
-The Macally logo is prominently featured on the top of the mouse. I'm not crazy about that, but that's just because I'm weird about such things.

All in all, it's a great mouse for the money.

For more info, check the Macally website.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
stoid said:
The scroll wheel lights up too. That alone might be enough for me to drop the $49!

Actually, it doesn't.

The scroll wheel only lights up when the battery is low or when you are pairing it with your computer for the first time. It is pretty when it is lit, though.

sgtlmj

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
That sucks. By the ad I assumed that it had a good 'off' feature. I don't want it burning batteries in my booq bag. :(

I too have been waiting for the Macmice version and was about to make the leap to BTMouseJr, but now I think I'll reconsider.

Oh, the logo should come off with some acetone based fingernail polish remover. Just use sparingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.