Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
So I think my WiFi card is going bad, something funky is going on with my RAM changing sizes from 4GB to 2.78GB, Windows Vista/7 32bit/64bit hard freezes randomly and application crashes in OSX.

Naturally, I went to run the Apple Hardware Test to diagnose the problem as it seems to possibly be hardware related. It doesn't work.

1st try: Laptop On, restarted holding D key, booted to OSX.
2nd try: Laptop Off, Turned on holding D key, booted to OSX.
3rd try: Laptop Off, reset SMC, PRAM, Restart and held D key, booted to OSX.
4th try: Laptop On, Inserted Snow Leopard Upgrade Disk, restarted holding D key, booted to OSX.
5th try: Laptop On, Inserted the original 15-inch MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install DVD, restarted holding D key, booted to OSX
6th try: Called Apple, they told me to do the same thing as I have been trying... booted to OSX in the end.
7th try: Removed Hard Drive, turned on laptop holding D key, flashing folder came up
8th try: Hard Drive still removed, inserted the original 15-inch MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install DVD, turned on holding D key, booted to setup.

I'm out of ideas...

Is there something I'm doing completely wrong or something? From what I understand, the AHT is located on the hard drive, and on the disk, and you boot to it by holding down the D key. I should only have to use the disk if the hard drive is toast, which it is not.

Specs of laptop in signature.

Thanks.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If none of those things are working, there might be a firmware password.

There are two ways you can disable it to see if it will help.

First Method:

1) Boot Open Firmware. (Command + Option + O + F)

2) Type "setenv security-mode none"

3) Enter in the password

4) Then type "reset-all"

Second Method:

1) Add or remove DIMMs

2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
OK, I tried the first method.

I first restarted and held down Command + Option + O + F before it was even turned off. It just started up in OSX.

I turned off the machine. Then held down Command + Option + O + F before I hit the power. Still booted into OSX.

Also, the Option key works just fine for booting into Windows via Bootcamp, so I know it is capable of reading my keyboard when booting.

I'm about to try the second method.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Tried the second method... Pulled both RAM sticks, rubbed the contacts with an eraser, put them back in. Plugged the power back in and held down Command + Option + P + R to reset the PRAM, did it until I heard the 3rd chime.

Let the machine start up. Shut it back down, tried diagnostics. Still no go.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Ok reading your first post, you're not booting off the disc correctly. You've been using the "D" key when you should be using the "C" key. Try booting off the install DVD again using the "C" key.

Ptyger

macrumors demi-god
Nov 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
You also might want to check which of your discs contains the hardware test. On my 2008 MBP, it was on the install disc. On my current mid-2009 MBP, the test is on the application cd. If you look down in the bottom left of the DVD, you should see the AHT version number listed on whichever disc the test is on.

Hope this helps!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You also might want to check which of your discs contains the hardware test. On my 2008 MBP, it was on the install disc. On my current mid-2009 MBP, the test is on the application cd. If you look down in the bottom left of the DVD, you should see the AHT version number listed on whichever disc the test is on.

Hope this helps!

It's worth a look but I know for sure that the unibody models all have the AHT in the firmware/computer. Not sure if it's also on the disc as well. Might be on Leopard/SL retail, don't know about the restore discs.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi

Hope this helps!

It was on there! Thanks! My system came back clean. Not sure if that's good or bad because there is definitely something wrong going on with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.