Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel abou the iTablet/iSlate?

• I'm over it. Wish Apple would work on something else.

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • Doesn't really interest me, but it's good for Apple.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I like the idea of a Mac Tablet and would probably buy one if the price is right.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • I will camp outside the Apple Store on release day and greet bystanders with "Hello, I'm a Mac"

Votes: 23 25.8%

• Total voters

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
The MacTablet idea does not appeal to me in the slightest. In fact, I'm afraid that the other products will not get proper attention they deserve once the tablet is released.

Touch screen is a nice feature, but I don't think it merits it's own notebook- I wish Apple would just implement it in the MacBook. I think the iTablet is just another way to juice consumers for the most money they can before every computer monitor and laptop LCD has touchscreen capabilities and it's the industry standard.

I really want to see Apple do something revolutionary, but maybe this move is what the company needs to make money so they can invest in more development, I don't know.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Nope

I like the idea and will probably buy one

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
How do you hate the idea of an unreleased product that ZERO people (including yourself) have seen or have an idea how it will work or what it will do?

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
How do you hate the idea of an unreleased product that ZERO people (including yourself) have seen or have an idea how it will work or what it will do?

I have a powerful imagination that is rarely satisfied. Is it not obvious I just looked 10 years into the future?
That and I have horrible eyesight

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Nope

I like the idea and will probably buy one

Me too. A media device combined with a browsing tool is very compatible with my needs/wants, especially if it will work with Verizon. If the thing turns out to be portable enough, I'll switch my Verizon data plan to the iSlate and get a cheap flip phone. Hate my Blackberry as a web browser.

But, if they announce a Verizon iPhone at the same time, I may have to rethink that plan, depending on what limitations Verizon is able to impose on Apple.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a powerful imagination that is rarely satisfied and horrible eyesight

Then I hope you don't have an iPhone because that's even smaller than the rumored tablet. :cool:

I love to hate things that don't exist as well. Like I hate unicorns, talking monkeys, and problem-free windows PCs.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
You missed the 'I'm still not sure exactly what it's for and will wait until Apple officially announce it before I make my mind up whether I want it or not' option. ;)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Then I hope you don't have an iPhone because that's even smaller than the rumored tablet. :cool:

I love to hate things that don't exist as well. Like I hate unicorns, talking monkeys, and problem-free windows PCs.

Yeah WTH, what did the Unicorn ever do to you!?!?!?! :D

I want to see if the tablet is something that will fit into my work flow or if it something that will fill the gap of what I have now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me its meh.

I have little need or desire for such a device. Perhaps in the future, I'll change my mind once I see the utility of it, but for now I see little use for it.

Perhaps it will be good for apple, though the history of tablet PCs are such that the odds are against them making this work.

My opinion of tablet PCs are that they're a solution looking for a problem.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pretty sick of all this apple tablet non-sense.

You guys remember tablet pc's from ~5-7yrs ago? Yea, they sucked. I have a Panasonic Toughbook with a touch screen that never gets used, it's kind of a waste to have that feature. Unless Apple does something completely revolutionary with the interface, I can see this idea flopping. For now I'll stick with my real computers and my already existing Apple Tablet (iPhone)

/rant

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I honestly have no opinion of the tablet at this point and will not have an opinion until it is announced. I want to see what the intended usage is, what it does, how the UI works and how it would work for me before I form a positive or negative opinion of said product. There's no use having a wholly negative or positive view of a product that hasn't even been announced yet, that's just silly!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Apple branching out into a new field isn't going to kill everything else. People complained about that with the iPhone, and the new iMac my dad bought last month is a screamer. The Magic Mouse that came with it put all other mice I have used to shame.

I think most long-term projections about this device are based on little real data. I'm interested to see what it is and does because I'm really itching to buy a Kindle. I bought a few books for my iPhone's Kindle app to see how it was, and I have finished one and am into about three or four more. These are big numbers for me when "Harry Potter" isn't on the book cover. I doubt the iSlate or whatever will have a screen nearly as good for book-reading, but I want to see one in action before deciding. The Kindle isn't too bad at $269 for pretty much a one-trick device.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... I think most long-term projections about this device are based on little real data. ....
Correction: The projections—long-term and short-term—are based on no real data. To have real data, you must have a real device available to real customers. The projections are based on assumptions about the desirability or lack thereof of Apple's new electronic slate.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Unless Apple does something completely revolutionary with the interface, I can see this idea flopping. For now I'll stick with my real computers and my already existing Apple Tablet (iPhone)

So, Apple is competent enough to make an iPhone "tablet" but not a larger one? Get your head out of your ass. The reason Apple has been working on this project since 2003-ish is because it's a tough device to get right. And if they're about to release, they've got it right.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm pretty sick of all this apple tablet non-sense.

You guys remember tablet pc's from ~5-7yrs ago? Yea, they sucked. I have a Panasonic Toughbook with a touch screen that never gets used, it's kind of a waste to have that feature. Unless Apple does something completely revolutionary with the interface, I can see this idea flopping. For now I'll stick with my real computers and my already existing Apple Tablet (iPhone)

/rant

Now there's a progressive approach . . . but first you have to assume that technology and consumers haven't changed in "~5-7yrs" . . . :rolleyes:

Let's see, 2003 - 2005 . . . pre-Intel Apple computers . . . pre-iPhone . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.