Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Southeast MA
what do you guys think of people who put stickers on a Macbook? is it tacky, do you do it, does it matter about how much sticker coverage there is, or does it not really matter to you? would love to get your guys' input.

PS - searched the forum to see if there was a similar thread and couldn't find one. I also am pretty sure this is in the right area, but if it's not, feel free to move it :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
As long as it isn't my MBP, then I don't care what you do to yours
I wouldn't do it to mine, but that's just personal preference

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I don't like the look of stickers on computers but I don't care what others do to theirs. There's more to worry about than what someone does to make their computer their own.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally I don't like the look, but I don't really care since I'm not about to put any on mine. That is, other people can do what ever they feel like to their macs.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I won't put anything like paper stickers on my MBP. But in the past i have put cut vinyl [the Digg logo] on my older MBP. I used a transparent vinyl, with silver specs in it, turned out pretty good IMO.

mandizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Southeast MA
^ fabulous

honestly, I'm not into the overflowing sticker look, but there are two stickers I'd like to put on my new Mac. I wanna really think about it though :S

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Stickers on a Mac?

Ask yourself: Stickers on an Aston Martin?

I will admit, though, that the one just above looks good.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's probably one of the worse ones because that screams out fanboy in the most vainest manner.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
That's probably one of the worse ones because that screams out fanboy in the most vainest manner.

Not only that - it's hypocritical. It's not 'think different'. It's 'Think like Steve'

Hand on heart, I would pay £5 more for a mac laptop to NOT have the damn Apple logo on the lid, and the strobing power LED when it's sleeping. I tried to hide it with a NASA logo once, but the damn Apple shape shone through like some mind-controlling beam of thinking anything but different.

aaron11193

macrumors regular
My laptop isn't an Apple, but I took to it with spray paint :D and when I get a new black case for my Hackintosh tower, it will suffer the same fate :p

One thing's for sure, since I live in a boarding school, my laptop will never be stolen and everyone knows who's it is, so they don't touch it ;)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Not only that - it's hypocritical. It's not 'think different'. It's 'Think like Steve'

It's a helluva lot different than 92% of the market.

Steve thinks different. About a galaxy's worth. Hence, Apple's uniqueness in a sea of generic, undifferentiated tech.

Joewebster

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York

Steve thinks different. About a galaxy's worth. Hence, Apple's uniqueness in a sea of generic, undifferentiated tech.

So you're saying that my acer monitor that's sitting next to my emachines monitor are undifferentiated and generic? What about my custom built tower, is that generic and undifferentiated? Apple doesn't think different, if anything it thinks relatively the same. Apple is just another brand name my friend. Now stop being a fanboy, as fanboys are really annoying.

Sorry, I got a tad off topic. I personally think that putting on stickers on expensive technology is tacky, and disrespectful to the money you spent on it. But hey, if you like it then go put some stickers on your macbook.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple is just another brand name

It's a lifestyle that reflects refined taste.

It's all about the culture and gestalt in Apple products. Not everyone will be sensitive to these differentiations, unfortunately. The industry, however, has recognized them long ago and many are attempting to duplicate them . . . unsuccessfully.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA

Not really. How different are all the people using 17" laptops with OSX. Clue - they're ALL identical. It's ONE laptop - defined by Steve, using Steve's OS. Small desktop...ONE machine. Big desktop? One machine. Holy CRAP - a choice of two for 13 inch laptops, but not if you want firewire.

Those 92% can pick from dozens and dozens and dozens of brands, designs, features, specification, price ranges. THEY can think different. They can get the exact machine specification and price point they want.

Mac users can't.

They have to get onboard Steve's dream and think the same as him.

Apple is a 'a lifestyle that reflects refined taste.' I think that's the most hilarious thing you've ever said. Ever.

Apple's is a company that makes software, computers, MP3 players and mobile telephones. My 'lifestyle' has not changed because I now use a Mac laptop rather than a Sony, or a Dell, or a . It's not better, easier, faster, smoother, crash free or indeed 'different'.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
It's a lifestyle that reflects refined taste.

It's all about the culture and gestalt in Apple products. Not everyone will be sensitive to these differentiations, unfortunately. The industry, however, has recognized them long ago and many are attempting to duplicate them . . . unsuccessfully.

To some it is. To others it's a tool that makes it easier to get one's work done. Culture and gestalt? Haha. 95% of Mac users make me want to scratch my eyes out.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

*LTD* doesn't understand you because he's a fanboy.

Apple's "Think Different" campaign was a marketing slogan. It's the equivalent of "Wheaties: Breakfast of Champions", or "Gilette: The best a Man Can Get". It isn't something people should really talk about seriously when discussing Apple's decisions and product releases, and yet you frequently hear people at MR say that Apple "thinks different" or "doesn't think different anymore".

Imagine if someone actually said, "I just read an interview with Michael Phelps, and he doesn't eat Wheaties for breakfast. WTF happened, Wheaties?! You used to be the breakfast choice of all champions!!"

Anyway, Apple doesn't "Think Different(ly)". How can a company tell you to think different, and yet offer the least options for configurability of their systems?? You'd think Apple would allow its consumers to get the system they need. They don't even make a laptop with specs that I want. :confused: I guess I'll just have to buy the ho-hum Mac that millions of other people have also bought.

The stickers are one way to personalise your system unlike most other people, which is more "Think Different" than *LTD*, which just "Thinks Marketing Slogan".

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Don't fault justified enthusiasm.

I don't fault Apple "fanboys" for their enthusiasm - it's as well-placed as it can be. Apple really is the only tech company that can command this kind of following. MS can't do it (outside of consoles.) HP can't do it. Not even Stallman-esque Linux advocates can be so loyal. That's really saying something. They don't provide anything, whether separately or together, that comes close to the end-to-end experience Apple provides. This experience is vitally important to a lot of people, and unfortunately, outside of the Apple ecosystem, it's either rare or non-existent. I happen to be extremely sensitive to the environment I work in every day, and I'm not alone. The notion that a piece of tech can please and inspire so thoroughly? There's nothing wrong with this. It's what we need a lot more of outside of Apple. It's just not happening.

How many people do you know that actually give a damn about what they do? About what they put their name to? I know a few like that, but not many. It's something I can relate to and appreciate. Steve Jobs is after a lot of things in the industry, but one thing is for certain (and which sets him and Apple apart from the rest): Apple actually gives a damn. No matter how devious they can be, how controlling, how ideological, at the end of the day we've got the iPhone, Macs, OS X, etc. These products don't just happen out of thin air. There's a philosophy behind them and a clear set of standards. This comes through in their mission statement, in their products, in their consistency year after year. And as a result the consumer benefits like never before, and what happens? Apple develops a following like no one else. It's that simple. It's a situation that is out of the ordinary, and luckily, something positive for a change. Of course you'll get people that desperately want this to continue. I know I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.