Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ok - so no camera means more than just no ichat

It means - no apps that use augmented reality
It means - no quickly posting a JUST take photo on twitter, facebook or any other social networking device directly from the iPad
It means no ability to create original video content and put into iWork or put in email or anything like that.

Poor choice not to include even one camera in this device...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Looks like there is a camera just not inluded in the device but an external USB jobby. Just hunting through apple.com and there is plenty of bits pointing towards an external camera.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It means they could put it into the 2nd revision of the product and entice people who bought rev A to buy rev B. ;)

marklight

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006
Looks like there is a camera just not inluded in the device but an external USB jobby. Just hunting through apple.com and there is plenty of bits pointing towards an external camera.

i thought this was more for just importing pictures...

it's a shame they didn't include some 3 or 5 mp camera, especially since they're relatively cheap.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Another reason the iPad doesn't appeal to me. If I'm going to buy an "all in one" device or one that claims to be - I don't want to carry around attachments like a keyboard, camera or anything else.

Then again - I've stated on another thread that I think the iPad is evolutionary and not revolutionary. I am clearly not the target market because it fills NO need for me. I need something more powerful to edit video and portability is handled with my iphone. As for reading - I'm content with my Kindle 2 and e-ink and the weight of that device + how long the battery lasts.

I think the iPad will sell. I'm just not interested.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

What are you on about?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I know it states it's for importing but I'm sure someone will do an app for live feed via webcam. Till it's out I guess we won't know for sure but I'm with jessica on a rev b rather than a. Was caught out with the 2g iPhone. Not again!

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
What are you on about?

The 'Camera Connection Kit' .... its a Dock to USB adapter .... LAME
They also have an SD reader adapter ... also LAME ... they could have included them on the device...

The lack of a front camera means that VOIP (Skype) is not what it rightly should have been on a device like this - shame

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
It means they could put it into the 2nd revision of the product and entice people who bought rev A to buy rev B. ;)
exactly!

this is the kind of bulls*** that happens in a profit based economy.

you know they could have put a camera in it on THIS model, easily. that's what really pisses me off.

the ipad isn't a product, it's a gimmick.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I was really surprised that there was no camera. If they can put it in an ipod nano, they could have worked it into the ipad with minimal costs.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Ok - so no camera means more than just no ichat

It means - no apps that use augmented reality
It means - no quickly posting a JUST take photo on twitter, facebook or any other social networking device directly from the iPad
It means no ability to create original video content and put into iWork or put in email or anything like that.

Poor choice not to include even one camera in this device...

The iPad is way too big for a convenience (like the iPhone) camera.

Habitus :apple:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The iPad is way too big for a convenience (like the iPhone) camera.

Habitus :apple:

Not if they are touting is as revolutionary. On some levels - it's a step backwards. To not offer similar capabilities that they have on "lesser" devices - they are shooting themselves in the foot for usability - as mentioned by several limitations by not having one.

Another example of their "misfire" here is that they claim the iPad is the best way to read email. Really? Too bad they didn't make an integrated email inbox. Or allow you to delete several emails at once by clicking a beginning and end point. No - you still need to click each email you want to delete to tag it.

Again - the iPad is evolutionary. Revolutionary? Not so much.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Not if they are touting is as revolutionary. On some levels - it's a step backwards. To not offer similar capabilities that they have on "lesser" devices - they are shooting themselves in the foot for usability - as mentioned by several limitations by not having one.

Another example of their "misfire" here is that they claim the iPad is the best way to read email. Really? Too bad they didn't make an integrated email inbox. Or allow you to delete several emails at once by clicking a beginning and end point. No - you still need to click each email you want to delete to tag it.

Again - the iPad is evolutionary. Revolutionary? Not so much.

I'm not defending the iPad. I think it has a place for some people.

But, when SJ said it's the best way to READ email, what does that have to do with how you manage the emails? Sure it needs work, so we'll see what they end up with in OS 4.0.

I've got a MBP and a 3GS. I have no real world use for the iPad.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
How many cameras does a person need? Most all of us already have one on our pockets in our phone.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
How many cameras does a person need? Most all of us already have one on our pockets in our phone.

You'd be surprised how many people would like to read then seamlessly send a photo update to facebook or something...

from the john.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
No camera means less stupid and dumb pictures cluttering up the world I live in?

This device has a stupid form factor for a camera. Not every device invented needs to have a camera built into it.

What is with all this desire to steal people's souls anyways?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
We have ourselves a winner! Everybody should listen to this and stop moaning about it.

Moan? I wasn't moaning. I was raising the issue of what not having a camera means for the user. Not once did I complain about it. Nor did anyone else really. We're objectively discussing the downsides of not having one on this device.

Metzgermeister

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
Was really amazed there's no camera. Really missed an opportunity there.
The camera shouldn't be on the backside, but on the front. iChat, Skype... those sort of apps would make a great benefit for the iPad together with the camera.

Like already mentioned, probably something which will come in like a year with rev B.

Anyway, I am interested but will wait for the next model.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Moan? I wasn't moaning. I was raising the issue of what not having a camera means for the user. Not once did I complain about it. Nor did anyone else really. We're objectively discussing the downsides of not having one on this device.

The comment wasn't directed at you personally, apologise if you took offence. My point is anyone that follows Apple should be well aware of their of how their business has operated in regard to updating iPhone features since 2007 - I see no reason to believe this will be any different.

Apple ARE a business, their obligation to their shareholders is to maximise profit, despite the God-like conception some on this forum have about the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.