Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glemley8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I have a 2 TB external USB drive with two partitions: a small NTFS for Windows 7 and a large HFS for Snow Leopard. I have Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp with Macdrive. Both partitions seem to show up and work perfectly when I boot in Windows 7, but in SL, only the NTFS partition mounts. In disk utility, the HFS partition is greyed out and labeled 'disk1s1' (not what I named it) and says that it's formatted in 'MS-DOS (FAT)' format. When I try to repair the disk it says the following:

"Invalid BS_impBoot in boot block: 000000
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk...disk, and restore your backed-up files."

Considering neither of them are boot partitions, I'm not sure what the deal is. I tried running Testdisk to see if it could repair the partition map and it says "Write access is not available for this media, Testdisk won't be able to modify it". I have hundreds of gigs of data on this partition, so reformatting isn't an option.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

glemley8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Just for refernece, I've found a really simple solution to the problem. Something that Windows 7 did with the partition made SL recognize it as an MS-DOS partition. All I did was use iPartition, selected properties, and changed the partition type in a drop down menu. I didn't think that it would be that simple. :D

guitch

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Hi glemley8

I've stumbled across the same problem: my HFS partition has been marked as NTFS, even though I can see it as HFS in gparted and the disk manager in Win7. My problem is I can't boot any more in SL, so I can't try iPartition. How'd you manage to use it ?

Cheers
Guitch

guitch

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Hey

I fixed my problem. Actually, win7's diskpart changes the system type of a partition to '7' (NTFS) when it sets a partition active. But the partition's filestystem remains unchanged (HFS+ in my case)
As I didn't want to mess my HFS+ partition, I used Gparted liveCD and set back the partition type to 'AF' (HFS, HFS+). And it works again now

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.