Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Okay, so I am sure we are all sick to the back teeth of hearing a billion and one people who don't even own iPad yet, deriding it's features (or supposed lack thereof) before the device has even gone on sale. One feature I hear people moan about a lot, is probably the very one that is the most unlikely candidate for iPad, as it's use would be almost impossible, and pretty ridiculous...

The webcam!.

Okay, so you're on a web chat to someone on iPad, and you think you're gonna hold iPad rock steady for the entire length of the chat?. I don't think so, somehow. There are a billion and one people whining about there being no webcam, but I bet a tiny percentage of them are tech designers, and even less have thought it through properly.

You would have to hold the iPad rigid, pointing squarely at the subject, for the entire length of the call, or... rest it against a wall?... I think NOT!. You see, it's a different situation on an iMac or MacBook, where the device is either sitting on a firm desk, or on your lap, where the camera is pretty much firmly positioned for the majority of the time, unless you adjust your posture or move your chair / adjust the MacBook screen.

iPad + webcam = failure of design. Think about it, complainers - you'd have to be an idiot to design it into a device like this.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
This obvious "fact" has been pointed out repeatedly here in discussions
However, to play the devil's advocate, it could be placed in the dock, or on a stand... or could be held for short calls/skype with no problem

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This obvious "fact" has been pointed out repeatedly here in discussions
However, to play the devil's advocate, it could be placed in the dock, or on a stand... or could be held for short calls/skype with no problem

Or using the Apple designed case which lets it sit in a near vertical position.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There motion tracking software avalible that would solve movement cropping a 640x480 image to the persons face then tracking it's movement within the frame.

Honestly though I'm not fussed about a cam. The device fits my needs as it is and I'll be buying one!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Okay, so I am sure we are all sick to the back teeth of hearing a billion and one people who don't even own iPad yet, deriding it's features (or supposed lack thereof) before the device has even gone on sale. One feature I hear people moan about a lot, is probably the very one that is the most unlikely candidate for iPad, as it's use would be almost impossible, and pretty ridiculous...

The webcam!.

Okay, so you're on a web chat to someone on iPad, and you think you're gonna hold iPad rock steady for the entire length of the chat?. I don't think so, somehow. There are a billion and one people whining about there being no webcam, but I bet a tiny percentage of them are tech designers, and even less have thought it through properly.

You would have to hold the iPad rigid, pointing squarely at the subject, for the entire length of the call, or... rest it against a wall?... I think NOT!. You see, it's a different situation on an iMac or MacBook, where the device is either sitting on a firm desk, or on your lap, where the camera is pretty much firmly positioned for the majority of the time, unless you adjust your posture or move your chair / adjust the MacBook screen.

iPad + webcam = failure of design. Think about it, complainers - you'd have to be an idiot to design it into a device like this.

Dear Arrogant Poster with Obnoxious Headline for a thread

This thread and all it's content is your opinion. People disagree. Your post here is just complaining about the complainers + acting as if you know better than those who have a differing opinion. I'm not saying you don't have a valid opinion. I'm saying that your delivery in the message is horrid. And to get your point across you don't have to resort to name calling. Nor do you have to assume anyone is an idiot for not agreeing with you.

Sincerely,
The rest of us.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

That was the first thing that went through my mind - if you wanted to use the web cam, dock it. Really, complaining about people not thinking things through before posting - sounds an awful lot like the OP did...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

This thread and all it's content is your opinion. People disagree. Your post here is just complaining about the complainers + acting as if you know better than those who have a differing opinion. I'm not saying you don't have a valid opinion. I'm saying that your delivery in the message is horrid. And to get your point across you don't have to resort to name calling. Nor do you have to assume anyone is an idiot for not agreeing with you.

Sincerely,
The rest of us.

Dear Arrogant Poster with Obnoxious Closing in his post.

You do not speak for the rest of us.

:D

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple has some pretty damn good image stabilization software in their arsenal, don't think that they can't find a way to incorporate it into a live stream, even if it means cutting off a few pixels along the border.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't exactly sit still and rigid in front of the iSight camera on my MBP when using Skype either... I am moving, adjusting, getting up, etc. The laptop may be stationary, but I am not.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008

Sincerely,
The rest of us.

Ah well, I think you'll live, and so will I :).

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010

Sincerely,
The rest of us.

I could not have said it better my self...

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I don't know, I've taken quite a few videos on my iphone and video cameras and have yet to use a tripod on those and I can hold them pretty steady. I want to be able to walk around with my ipad and show what's around me live. I'm not sure why that's going to be such a big problem as far as holding it steady.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
$20 says when first iPad revision rolls in everyone will be praising apple's revolutionary video chat device... Until then, make all the excuses you want about how a camera wont work.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
$20 says when first iPad revision rolls in everyone will be praising apple's revolutionary video chat device... Until then, make all the excuses you want about how a camera wont work.

Yup, they did a similar thing with Bluetooth on the iPod Touch.
Just did a better job of concealing their deception.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Has anyone done a poll? How many people really want a Camera? I know I don't.

Those that want one, where should it be, front, back, both? Is this the most important thing you think is missing?

Nothing is free and I would rather not pay for something I don't want on an iPad.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
heh...

Attachments

• iPad camera.jpg
    iPad camera.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 83

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009

The webcam!.

OMG it's zealots like you who are so god damn stupid and believe everything apple feeds you. I bet you were one of the people who said the ipod touch 1st gen didn't NEED speakers, just get an iphone for that. Then 2nd gen what was included? SPEAKERS!

In fact it has already been shown that the space for a webcam HAS ALREADY BEEN BUILT IN. https://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/01/ipad-enclosure-has-empty-space-for-camera/ Who's the IDIOT now?!

Apologies for the caps but DAMN this particular post is so wrong.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

I never complained about it, I'm buying one regardless. But it does need both a front facing and rear facing video camera.

Although the rear facing video camera wouldn't be used quite as much, it's useful to have and the device is certainly not large enough for it to become awkward if your at home or have it out and want to take a quick video / snapshot.
The front facing video camera probably also won't be used that much but it's still good functionality to have, for those times when you get to take a vacation IE video chatting with clients, friends, etc...

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed

The webcam!.

the same could be said about a laptop, common! that's a silly argument

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.