Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyr0sphere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Let's say I have 12 applications open in total. I use 4 spaces, and place 3 in each space.

I want to be able to press Command-Tab, and display only those 3, not the entire 12.

Any hacks or application to do this?

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Let's say I have 12 applications open in total. I use 4 spaces, and place 3 in each space.

I want to be able to press Command-Tab, and display only those 3, not the entire 12.

Any hacks or application to do this?

Display only three in the CMD-Tab switcher?

What is your primary issue with the default behaviour?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Display only three in the CMD-Tab switcher?

What is your primary issue with the default behaviour?

I believe what the OP wants is for Command-Tab to only cycle between the applications in the active space. I can see where this might be desirable if you are married to Command-Tab for App switching.

However, I do not know a way to get that result. You might consider Expose for app-switching. With that many apps open it would probably be more efficient than Command-Tab.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I believe what the OP wants is for Command-Tab to only cycle between the applications in the active space. I can see where this might be desirable if you are married to Command-Tab for App switching.

However, I do not know a way to get that result. You might consider Expose for app-switching. With that many apps open it would probably be more efficient than Command-Tab.

I kind of understood what he meant, I'm just trying to figure out what his workflow is because what he's asking for is hard. OTOH, if all he wants is his Spaces not to switch when tabbing (the app will switch but the Space won't), then all he needs to do is type something like the following into Terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Dock workspaces-auto-swoosh -bool NO
killall Dock

For example, I'm in Firefox and I want a new Terminal window in the same Space. I already have several Terminal windows open. With default Spaces and CMD tabbing behavior, when I CMD-tab, I get switched to the Space of the last Terminal. This drives me nuts.

pyr0sphere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I often find that when I use Command-Tab, the application that it ends up selecting is not the one I want. This is either due to my own mistake, of pressing the Tab key too many times, or believing that the initial Command-Tab press will bring me to Application A, when instead it brings me to Application B.

Both could be alleviated if I just took my time, but I often find myself in a rush, and can't be bothered to look at the entire list and selecting with the arrow keys.

I just feel that if the Command-Tab list was shortened, in that it only listed specific apps rather than everything, I would be able to use it better. That terminal command is helpful because now when I do select the wrong application, it won't switch Spaces (since I have application specific Spaces)

Essentially, what I'm looking for is Expose but under the list-like appearance of Command-Tab

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
I often find that when I use Command-Tab, the application that it ends up selecting is not the one I want. This is either due to my own mistake, of pressing the Tab key too many times, or believing that the initial Command-Tab press will bring me to Application A, when instead it brings me to Application B.

Both could be alleviated if I just took my time, but I often find myself in a rush, and can't be bothered to look at the entire list and selecting with the arrow keys.

If someone command-tabs too far, they can go back the other way by simply hitting the tilde key (~), while still holding ⌘ down. Tab move us to the the right... tilde to the left. [i know this can be confusing to some, because if we *start* with ⌘~ that invokes the in-app window switcher instead.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.