Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Apple removed the image of the AppleTV from their online store homepage to make room for the iPad. It's now listed on the sidebar as an "iPod accessory". Talk about treating a product as a hobby!

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Apple removed the image of the AppleTV from their online store homepage to make room for the iPad. It's now listed on the sidebar as an "iPod accessory". Talk about treating a product as a hobby!
I set up an Apple TV for somebody I knew. Played with it for half and hour and couldn't really see the point of it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Post not accurate--listed under iPod

Also, post is inaccurate---the :apple:TV is listed under the Shop iPod category, listed as a member of the iPod Family, not as an accessory--which is fairly appropriate because it really is essentially an iPod that uses a TV to view/listen to the content, vs. headphones/speakerdock for other iPods.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Also, post is inaccurate---the :apple:TV is listed under the Shop iPod category, listed as a member of the iPod Family, not as an accessory--which is fairly appropriate because it really is essentially an iPod that uses a TV to view/listen to the content, vs. headphones/speakerdock for other iPods.

No it's listed as an accessory too:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I sure hope not. I was hoping they would finally update it. I just don't get what their product strategy here is.
I don't they do either, or they recognize that content on demand is going to be the future, and are just waiting until it gains enough ground to really overhaul it and bring it out of hobby territory.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don't they do either, or they recognize that content on demand is going to be the future, and are just waiting until it gains enough ground to really overhaul it and bring it out of hobby territory.

Apple also underestimated the problems they would have with the movie studios. If you go back to 2007, when the Apple TV was introduced, everyone just assumed the studios would jump on board just like the record labels did. They would just consider it a new market for their content.

However, that didn’t happen.

Now we have:

- Most of the studios delaying rental periods to protect DVD and Blu-ray sales

- If the rumors are true, most of the studios are also resisting Apple’s efforts to build TV subscription bundles to protect cable and satellite

- Fox, Warner, Universal and Sony holding out on HD purchases through iTunes to protect Blu-ray

- Sony holding out on SD and HD rentals to protect the PlayStation Network’s rental service

- Universal trying to merge with Comcast and what that means for NBC and Universal Pictures content on iTunes

It’s a mess and a waiting game at the moment. I don’t know if they’ll ever get it together.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple also underestimated the problems they would have with the movie studios. If you go back to 2007, when the Apple TV was introduced, everyone just assumed the studios would jump on board just like the record labels did. They would just consider it a new market for their content.

However, that didn’t happen.

Now we have:

- Most of the studios delaying rental periods to protect DVD and Blu-ray sales

- If the rumors are true, most of the studios are also resisting Apple’s efforts to build TV subscription bundles to protect cable and satellite

- Fox, Warner, Universal and Sony holding out on HD purchases through iTunes to protect Blu-ray

- Sony holding out on SD and HD rentals to protect the PlayStation Network’s rental service

- Universal trying to merge with Comcast and what that means for NBC and Universal Pictures content on iTunes

It’s a mess and a waiting game at the moment. I don’t know if they’ll ever get it together.
I don't think that its just Movies that apple is after, but what you've stated definitely has a big impact on the ATV as well.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I set up an Apple TV for somebody I knew. Played with it for half and hour and couldn't really see the point of it.

I love my AppleTV. It's only useful if you have a large digital video library to feed it though, and that takes more than setup+30 minutes to gather.

They can kill the AppleTV once they add a Front Row-like app to the iPad/iPod touch/iPhone and some form of digital audio output to the AV Dock. If the choice is $199 for an iPod touch, $99 for a dock with AV cables and Apple Remote or $229 for an AppleTV, I'll go with the iPod setup any day. I don't store anything on my ATV, it's all streamed - I don't get people who are storing their media on the tiny ATV drives...

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
I love my AppleTV. It's only useful if you have a large digital video library to feed it though, and that takes more than setup+30 minutes to gather.

They can kill the AppleTV once they add a Front Row-like app to the iPad/iPod touch/iPhone and some form of digital audio output to the AV Dock. If the choice is $199 for an iPod touch, $99 for a dock with AV cables and Apple Remote or $229 for an AppleTV, I'll go with the iPod setup any day. I don't store anything on my ATV, it's all streamed - I don't get people who are storing their media on the tiny ATV drives...

I personally hope they release a new AppleTV...would love to see good quality video/audio out of iPad to TV as well but that still would not replace AppleTV for me. I think it is a fantastic and under-rated product. PS not all of us have the 40GB model I have several of the 160GB and that is adequate for storing some content right on the device (certainly not all!)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
They can kill the AppleTV once they add a Front Row-like app to the iPad/iPod touch/iPhone and some form of digital audio output to the AV Dock.
There is already digital out (well video out via the dock connector). But what about 720p ? AC3 5.1 ?? I think it will take a bit more than a front row app and digital video output to replace even the current atv.

People store content on the atv drive simply so that they have a standalone media player in their living room. No need for a computer running on a network to serve content, etc. Atv gives you both options. Also last I checked you can not stream iTunes content (video specifically) to an iPod or iPad. So whatever it would play would have to be stored on the device anyway.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
If you're anything like me that tiny hard drive never has the show I want to watch on it, no matter how you set the syncing up. NASFTW.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I still think they should've called it "iPod TV" because that's essentially what it is. Maybe one day they'll update the hardware, change the name, and give it a new marketing strategy.

Apple TV is dead. Long live iPod TV.

SiliBear

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Having the ability to watch downloadable iTunes content (movies and TV shows) on my home theater system is the reason why I buy from iTunes (played through Apple TV of course). I wouldn't purchase movies and TV shows to watch on my computer or laptop as the primary display device. I know others might, but I certainly wouldn't since I have much better options (10 foot movie screen for instance).

I do enjoy being able to sync media to my iPhone currently for when I am travelling and would think that I'd enjoy it even moreso on an iPad. I do not buy iTunes content though with the "intent" to watch it on a small device and likely never will...I use my smaller device only when it suits me.

If Apple kills off the Apple TV, I seriously doubt there would be any remaining good reason to ever buy another video source from iTunes again. Killing Apple TV would, at least in my case, also ruin a good reason why an iPad might be a neat thing to own as well.

Apple needs to update the Apple TV hardware and integrate it with the iPad.

Just because the iPad can play iTunes video content isn't enough reason alone for someone to spend the money to actually buy the content from iTunes. I wouldn't buy a movie "just" to watch it on an iPad...I would, however, love to continue buying movies that I can watch on a home theater that I can also bring with me on an iPad or iPhone.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
it seems they have enough room for it. go to the uk apple store site and you can see they just gave the ipods more room :/

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
My 97 Macbook has issues with processor intensive functions like video playing - it'll either become unwatchable with distortion or the computer will shut down. I'm considering an updated MBP so haven't wanted to pay to have it fixed.

My ATV has been a savior in the meantime and it's not difficult to convert using the old VisualHub app. Don't get me wrong, I wish it had the processing power to play Hulu on Boxee properly, or supported Netflix like just about every other set top box out there, or at least had the freaking USB port enabled without hacking. Why it hasn't taken advantage of the App Store ecosystem is beyond me, it's sad that I can use Slingplayer on my iPhone and not ATV. But it definitely deserves more credit than it gets IMO, ITA about it being underrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.