Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
I need lots of help, im a super n00b. I dont know how to read aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, Exposure and such.

IMG_2399.jpg
Full Auto

Waterfall.jpg
Full Auto

IMG_2163.jpg
Full Auto

IMG_2245.jpg
Landscape

C&C much needed, and help setting modes, and aperture, iso, shutterspeed, exposure. Thanks :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I need lots of help, im a super n00b. I dont know how to read aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, Exposure and such.

C&C much needed, and help setting modes, and aperture, iso, shutterspeed, exposure. Thanks :)

Everyone has to start somewhere. But, sincerely, do you expect people on an internet forum to guide you through the whys and wherefores of basic camera controls... when all this information, and a great deal more, can be found in your camera's manual, basic books on digital photography (check out your local library), plus vast amounts of material online that's just a Google away?

Got a friend who takes good pix? Then ask them to sit down with you and explain about apertures and shutter speeds and ISO. You've got a steep learning curve ahead of you... but it's a fun kind of learning. Plus, your photography will never improve quite as quickly as it does when you are just starting out. ;)

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
A quick Google search revealed this: http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/exposure.html

There’s probably even better resources out there if you search around a bit.

That’s for film, but the same concepts apply. The only difference is that you can explicitly set the ISO on your digital camera (unless your in full auto). A high ISO will increase the exposure of your image, but will introduce noise, or grain, into the photograph. Most people find this undesirable.

Your digital camera also likely has Programmable (or Automatic), Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual controls. Programmable sets everything for you, you just choose the exposure of the image (either over exposed, underexposed, or correctly exposed; usually represented by a number from -2 to 2 on a scale on your cameras display). Aperture Priority allows you to set the aperture, and a desired exposure, and the camera will compensate. Same for Shutter Priority. Manual gives you full control over both the shutter speed and the aperture.

If you still have questions, then come back and ask.

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
A quick Google search revealed this: http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/exposure.html

There’s probably even better resources out there if you search around a bit.

That’s for film, but the same concepts apply. The only difference is that you can explicitly set the ISO on your digital camera (unless your in full auto). A high ISO will increase the exposure of your image, but will introduce noise, or grain, into the photograph. Most people find this undesirable.

Your digital camera also likely has Programmable (or Automatic), Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual controls. Programmable sets everything for you, you just choose the exposure of the image (either over exposed, underexposed, or correctly exposed; usually represented by a number from -2 to 2 on a scale on your cameras display). Aperture Priority allows you to set the aperture, and a desired exposure, and the camera will compensate. Same for Shutter Priority. Manual gives you full control over both the shutter speed and the aperture.

If you still have questions, then come back and ask.

I pretty much got the iso down, just learn what is where and what does what is a problem cause i lost the user manual the same day i got my camera :( ill learn though, ill post more pix in a few days to see what i could better on

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I got a manual with my XSi but I didn't find it as useful as the 'for dummies' book on my camera. Not everyone likes camera-specific books, but I found it great as a first read.

For Nikon D60

For Canon XS

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The main problem with these photos though isn't the exposure, sharpness or any other technical pickyness, it's simple framing and subject choice. So, don't neglect that.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
My best advice is to just go out and shoot. Books help as well, but for me, i learned just from experience. Kinda cool to go back through my photos from so long ago and compare them from today.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
One thing i would say is that you need to have a focal point, or point of interest. The first one (last set of images) has no real point of interest. It is shot in the worst time of day where the lighting is harsh, to say the least.

The macro shot isn't bad, but it could be sharper. Did you use a tripod? Third one is too cluttered. The exposure is good though.

What software are you using to process these photos? Canons Image Raw or DPP?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I think you captured the essence of that delightful plate of food perfectly. I hope you don't mind that we used it in a Scared Straight program, showing kids what they eat in prison.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
1) I dont currently own a tripod yet.

2) I just use what came with my mac (iPhoto, and Aperture) I dont do any editing though, yet. (learning one thing at a time here XD)

In Aperture, it should list all the info on the settings that were used. You shooting in full auto, AV priority, manual?

sayrajames

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Re: New to photography

Well....All this type information you can get through the internet easily.....there is so many e books full of lots of information....by your little efforts you can get more knowledge easily.....and its not an big deal......Go for this ....and For the photography you really get useful knowledge which helps you i am sure......!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.