Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

22Hertz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
It's about time to replace the original HDD in my late 07 SR MBP

Was wondering if anyone has put a SSD in one of these laptops with a 1.5Gb bus, and what your experience has been.

I'm debating between a SSD and a Hitachi Travelstar 500GB HDD

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Im in the same boat. I know that it would be useless to buy an INTEL since it has more speed than can be used. Im wondering what the Best match is. Like if it only went up to 1.5gbs or 2 that would be great since the extra for like an intel= more $.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I have an Intel SSD in a previous generation MBP. The difference between an SSD and an HDD is huge. Any limitations imposed by the SATA I / SATA II difference is not as large. It is still a great upgrade.

22Hertz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Cool. Glad to hear it is still worth looking into.

Are you having any sort of problems associated with the Intel Drive?

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I have a Vertex in my MB (SATAI) and it is working great since March 2009.
And SSDs are not only about high write speeds, the extremely fast seek times are what makes an SSD really fast compared to an old HDD.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Cool. Glad to hear it is still worth looking into.

Are you having any sort of problems associated with the Intel Drive?

Nope. None. You'll find that most Intel SSD owners are extremely happy.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I was thinking Intels would be overkill since the speed wouldnt be fully used.

The large write/read speeds wouldn't be fully used, but that's not what the average user operates most of the time. The vast majority of basic operations operate with small random reads/writes. Those are not capped by the SATA I interface.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I recently put an 80 GB intel G2 SSD in my brother's Late '06 white macbook which has SATA I...it's like he got a brand new computer.

If you can only run a hard drive at Sata1 speeds, I wouldn't bother with an SSD.

Why do you say this?

Only sequential reads will be limited on the intel drive by SATA I, everything else on the intel SSDs will be nearly the same. Remember that sequential reads account for only a fraction of what consumers use computers for anyway. Most of the speed gains from SSDs are due to its random read/write speeds. While these are much faster than an HDD, they are not yet approaching the limit of SATA I.

I also have a 160 GB G2 drive in my 13" MBP. I have never had an issue with the intel drives.

seanconn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
I'd go with the 500GB drive... much more practical.

SSD drives are nice, but I wouldn't do anything lower than 128GB... 80GB would be insane!! my iTunes would fill up like 70% of that.

Until a 256 drive is less than $250 they just aren't worth the speed difference.... once they are close to being $1 per GB I would consider them FOR SURE.. but wayyyyyyy too much of a luxury item still.

If only express card SSD were actually fast.. I was going to buy a 48GB wintec SSD drive for my express card slot, but ive heard it's a bad idea to install OSX on there, because as soon as you computer sleeps express card drive shuts off.. and helllo corruption city.

I'd still consider one to just store a bunch of videos and some music... but since it's basically just as fast as a .7200 rpm drive, probably not worth the $150 dollar price tag. I might as well just upgrade my 320Gb to a 640gb Drive, and throw the 320 in a case, or in my PS3.

Anyone have any luck with a SSD in the express card slot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.