Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
After PCWorld's first iPhone stress test video, which made me much less worried about the screen's tendency to scratch and the iPhone's durability in general, iPhone stress test videos have become an annual tradition with every iPhone release. I was looking foward to them releasing an iPad stress test video, and they did, providing a detailed look at the durability of the iPad with a few surprising conclusions. You can watch PCWorld's iPad stress tests here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCrjviuxfdw&feature=youtube_gdata

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
That's about the most retarded thing I've ever seen from a so called professional publication... If they want to stress test it at least show what caused the screen to look like that. If that really happened from "3 or 4" normal drops on carpet then Im a bit concerned but they don't show the drop that caused it? More likely pouring the coffee on it in the beginning caused it. And of course dropping it 6 feet on to concrete is going to break it same as pouring a gallon of coffee on it then holding it under a running faucet for quite awhile... I could appreciate it if it was more professionally done but these guys are akin to the idiot outside best buy smashing one with a baseball bat. Not something I'd expect from a "professional" publication.

Mpalmieri1203

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
After PCWorld's first iPhone stress test video, which made me much less worried about the screen's tendency to scratch and the iPhone's durability in general, iPhone stress test videos have become an annual tradition with every iPhone release. I was looking foward to them releasing an iPad stress test video, and they did, providing a detailed look at the durability of the iPad with a few surprising conclusions. You can watch PCWorld's iPad stress tests here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCrjviuxfdw&feature=youtube_gdata

One drop and these bad cats are done. Totally putting a squaretrade warranty on my 3gs when they get here.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
So it looks like the summary is that the front screen is scratch proof, but it'll break if it gets wet or gets dropped from too high.

Oskar1921

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
I don't understand what these Neanderthal's are suppose to be proving with these "stress" tests. D'oh!! C'mon, did they really think the screen wasn't going to crack when dropped face down on concrete? That the pad wasn't going to get fried if it was put under water? That the back was going to get scratched when keys were forcibly scrapped across the back?

Why don't they do the same tests with the Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer laptops? Oh... I know. They're not APPLES!!! ;)

Not something I'd expect from a "professional" publication.

Oh, PCWorld is a professional publication? Hmmmm, didn't notice

Just another example of someone with an IQ of two below plant life having the need to get in front of a camera. Funny bit, but it proved squat.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Why don't they do the same tests with the Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer laptops?

My Dell laptop dropped from 4 feet onto the concrete on its screen hinge and after the hard drive G shock returned to normal everything was fine, I was reliefed and surprised nothing was broken or was cracked.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I don't understand what these Neanderthal's are suppose to be proving with these "stress" tests. D'oh!! C'mon, did they really think the screen wasn't going to crack when dropped face down on concrete? That the pad wasn't going to get fried if it was put under water? That the back was going to get scratched when keys were forcibly scrapped across the back?

Why don't they do the same tests with the Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer laptops? Oh... I know. They're not APPLES!!! ;)

Oh, PCWorld is a professional publication? Hmmmm, didn't notice

Just another example of someone with an IQ of two below plant life having the need to get in front of a camera. Funny bit, but it proved squat.

I thought it was informative to watch. I've dropped my iPhone onto concrete twice and it was fine, but this video lets me know to be especially careful not to do that with my iPad.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
This just confirms that you definitely need a case on all the time. holding it naked just begs for accident to happen.

He said dropping on carpet caused the screen to mess up. My laptop falls on carpet many times.

Oskar1921

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
I guess it was just pretty obvious to me that you don't drop a thin metal and glass high-tech object face down on concrete or hold it under running water.

Why a "stress" test? This isn't stress, it's abuse. Maybe I'm missing something here. :rolleyes:

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
So maybe it wasn't the best way to "stress" test the iPad, but I for one found it pretty informative. I was curious at how scratch resistant the aluminum back was and after watching this video I'll definitely be purchasing a case.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Honestly, it went a while under the faucet before anything happened. thats pretty good. you would likely only spill something on it, like in the first part, and it stands up to that. it would have been nicer for them to have a less obvious scratch test on the back, though.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I found the video interesting and entertaining. The kids smashing one for no good reason was annoying, but at least this and the Will It Blend videos have semi-justifiable reasons for destroying them.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
All these stress tests prove is what we've know all along, that people who write for pc world are morons.

It would have been acceptable if some kids had put that up on youtube, but these guys are supposed to be professional journalists. Stress testing is not about mucking about and destroying a device under conditions it was never meant to be used at. It's about controlling an environment to see how it reacts to various wear and tear stresses, even extreme ones, but in a controlled, measurable, professional way. Not the crap that these morons are pulling...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.