Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gietzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Hi, does anyone know if I can use my Sixaxis or DualShock3 controllers as game pads on my MBP? My OS is snow leopard. I know there was a way to do it on PC but I could never get it to work. I would also prefer to connect over bluetooth although wired is ok.

CrispyXUK

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Just plug it in and it works. After you've plugged it in you can pair it via Bluetooth.

Gietzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Are there no drivers to download? You needed them on PC.

Gietzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Great. Thank you very much. I'm going to try it with Grim Fandango now. One other thing, is there any good keyboard and mouse mapping program for games that don't have pad support?

Gietzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
No joy with Grim Fandango but it is a dodgy copy as I don't believe it was ever legitimately released for Mac. I'll try something else later.

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
I think you need a driver for the PS3 Gamepad, I think we had a similar topic a few weeks ago here and someone posted a link to the driver.

CrispyXUK

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
As I said, you don't need this driver, the PS3 pad works over bluetooth out of the box.

EDIT: Grim Fandango doesn't work for me either, you'll have to use something like Gamepad companion to translate joystick inputs to keyboard inputs.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
That’s good news. Could anyone else confirm if everything works fine without the driver, like both joysticks? (Also, any fun games on the Mac to use the gamepad with?)

Gietzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
DS3 and sixaxis both send data through the USB lead so it should work plugged in.

MarshallXDTeach

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
In your mother's dreams :)
Great. Thank you very much. I'm going to try it with Grim Fandango now. One other thing, is there any good keyboard and mouse mapping program for games that don't have pad support?

Hey bro, you can go to this website to get a program that maps most if not all of your controls to your PS3 controller(I found a video that worked for me). If you can't buy it, all I can say is go the site that promotes pirates(if you know what I mean;)

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

:apple:Good luck with your gaming:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.