Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
I was checking my usage history on att.com... check out what I found.

I blame it on 3.1.2 and native tethering... :cool:

What kind of usage do you get?

Attachments

• Chart.png
    Chart.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 191

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Just out of curiosity for us Canucks in the North, how much does Unlimited Data cost on AT&T...like what's a starting (minimum) phone plan that includes unlimited Data?

We Canadians get royally screwed up here ....average monthly data rate is like $30 for 1Gig... and upwards

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Just out of curiosity for us Canucks in the North, how much does Unlimited Data cost on AT&T...like what's a starting (minimum) phone plan that includes unlimited Data?

We Canadians get royally screwed up here ....average monthly data rate is like $30 for 1Gig... and upwards

The lowest-priced voice plan is $39.99, and includes unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling, unlimited nights and weekends, and 450 daytime minutes.

Unlimited data costs $30.

Taxes are on top of those costs. The cheapest you can get out of it is about $80/mo.

Note: None of these figures includes texting. You can pay per-text, or you can get unlimited texting for $20.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
The lowest-priced voice plan is $39.99, and includes unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling, unlimited nights and weekends, and 450 daytime minutes.

Unlimited data costs $30.

Taxes are on top of those costs. The cheapest you can get out of it is about $80/mo.

Note: None of these figures includes texting. You can pay per-text, or you can get unlimited texting for $20.

Wow ok! guess our prices ain't too bad.
You guys have Data for a lot cheaper other than that it's seems even if you look at the whole phone plan "package".

Right now I pay $67.89 CND after fees and taxes, which is $67.57 USD (wow! our dollar is on par today!! I better head to Buffalo on the weekend and buy me an iPad or something :p)
Anyway...
My plan includes
300 daytime minutes
free weeknights and weekends after 5pm
1Gb of data
1000 Long distance minutes (only across Canada :()
call display, voice-mail and 2500 text (send, free to receive)

if I wanted Visual voice-mail and unlimited text I have to pay extra 5 bucks/month, so I said screw that.

again it's not as generous as Unlimited Data and I have about 150 less daytime minutes..but for the price it ain't too bad. (Compared to 80-100 US dollars for you guys)

"Unlimited Data" is rare and super expensive in Canada, for smart phones the cap these days is around 6gigs for a hefty..( I don't even bother to find out) maybe like 60 bucks?? (just the data plan, we do get the odd crazy data promotion here and there, that's usually half the price or even less, maybe again this summer) As far as Data goes: you guys have it good...;)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
If they ask me, they will hear "Slingplayer", which they approved. My usage has spiked as well, some due to tether via MyWi to iPad and a lot due to Slingplayer I run at work daily. I think it's safe unless your an idiot and tries to use your tether for torreting 24/7.

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
Haha yeah that's all from tethering...
I use it while I'm at work because my warehouse doesn't get the wireless Internet. I knew I would have a dramatic increase but I think the graph made it look like a bigger difference than I expected. :)

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
I think AT&T's network would implode once they enable tethering for everybody if moderate usage leads to such an increase.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
OP, don't worry, mine looks exactly the same :)

If they call (which I've been told both ways, they will and won't) then just blame it on Sirius or Pandora (or any other streaming music site). That's my plan ;)

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
OP, don't worry, mine looks exactly the same :)

If they call (which I've been told both ways, they will and won't) then just blame it on Sirius or Pandora (or any other streaming music site). That's my plan ;)

Yeah good plan.
I wouldnt want to get in trouble with AT&T ;)
Luckily I wont need to use my tethering anymore in about a week because my office will finally have internet. I'm not too worried about it, I just thought the graph was funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.