Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldsun1715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Hi guys,

I have a iPhone 3G right here that crashed and got the spinning wheel of death. I restarted the phone and got nothing. So I attempted to restore the phone using shift click. Didn't work. (I guess I didn't store the SHSH files on Cydia. ) So I attempted to boot it with Blackra1n, still didn't work. Now it's on the recovery screen so I tried using iRecovery, which didn't work. Then someone suggested to use Redsn0w and that didn't work either. Anything I can do to fix this phone? It's still on the old baseband and 3.1.2 so I haven't updated it yet.

EDIT: When I try to boot it with Blackra1n I get the spinning wheel of death. :/

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi guys,

I have a iPhone 3G right here that crashed and got the spinning wheel of death. I restarted the phone and got nothing. So I attempted to restore the phone using shift click. Didn't work. (I guess I didn't store the SHSH files on Cydia. ) So I attempted to boot it with Blackra1n, still didn't work. Now it's on the recovery screen so I tried using iRecovery, which didn't work. Then someone suggested to use Redsn0w and that didn't work either. Anything I can do to fix this phone? It's still on the old baseband and 3.1.2 so I haven't updated it yet.

EDIT: When I try to boot it with Blackra1n I get the spinning wheel of death. :/

If it is currently jailbroken, has old bootrom and you can get it into recovery mode, use iTunes to retore to custom restore 3.1.2 IPSW.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
I can restore to a custom 3.1.2 firmware without having SHSH on file?
Yes! custom restoring to 3.1.2 has nothing to do with having your SHSH on file with Saruk. But it has a lot to do with having already a jailbroken phone (firmware) otherwise you are unable to do the SHIFT (Option) custom restore.

So while it's still in recovery mode you should have no problem, Shift, restoring to a CUSTOM 3.1.2 firmware, make sure you know how to make a Custom firmware 3.1.2 with Pwnage Tool, or how to obtain one from a trusted source. After the restore you should be fine. if this all works out successfully for you, don't forget to run Cydia (update it) and click on "Make My Life Easier" to file your SHSH.

Please let us know how it all went.

Another thing: After a fresh restore, I don't recommend that you re-sync your old backup data to the phone, just start a Fresh "New iPhone"

Goldsun1715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Yes! custom restoring to 3.1.2 has nothing to do with having your SHSH on file with Saruk. But it has a lot to do with having already a jailbroken phone (firmware) otherwise you are unable to do the SHIFT (Option) custom restore.

So while it's still in recovery mode you should have no problem, Shift, restoring to a CUSTOM 3.1.2 firmware, make sure you know how to make a Custom firmware 3.1.2 with Pwnage Tool, or how to obtain one from a trusted source. After the restore you should be fine. if this all works out successfully for you, don't forget to run Cydia (update it) and click on "Make My Life Easier" to file your SHSH.

Please let us know how it all went.

Another thing: After a fresh restore, I don't recommend that you re-sync your old backup data to the phone, just start a Fresh "New iPhone"

Unfortunately I thought the fact that I already had a jailbroken phone meant that I could restore a custom firmware. I get error 1600 when trying to restore it to custom 3.1.2 firmware. I should've been more clear in saying that I have an iPhone with the new bootrom.

EDIT: Is there anyway I could somehow get into the phone and fix whatever was corrupted in the first place? (iRecovery does detect the phone if that helps at all.)

Goldsun1715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
what is (was) your baseband? is it 5.12.01 etc?

if it's 5.11.07 you should still be okay.

No, it was 5.11.07. I haven't updated it at all through iTunes or anything so I believe it should still be at 3.1.2 and have the 5.11.07 baseband.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
No, it was 5.11.07. I haven't updated it at all through iTunes or anything so I believe it should still be at 3.1.2 and have the 5.11.07 baseband.

Ok so let me get this straight you got a jailbroken 3.1.2, with 5.11.07 baseband that's in Recovery Mode...(iTunes Logo and USB cable)..right? and you cannot Shift restore to a custom 3.1.2?

what is the third and fourth numbers on the Serial number? your phone should be old enough to work.

There must be something else wrong with it, considering you used so many other methods to try to revive it... something else must have happened.

Not sure if you tried it already, but try again, turn the phone off if you can..(holding the power button and slide to turn off) and wait a few seconds, then put the phone back into Recovery mode (holding down the home key for 3 secs, and while holding plug the USB cable, until you see the Recovery iTunes and USB logos) then try to Shift Restore again.

Also Make sure the 3.1.2 firmware you have is indeed CUSTOM. make sure it is! and try using a "non-activated' one for now (Locked) version of the custom firmware. just to see at least if you can jailbreak and recover the phone first...then worry about Unlocking.

that's all I know and can tell you man, hope it works.

Goldsun1715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Ok so let me get this straight you got a jailbroken 3.1.2, with 5.11.07 baseband that's in Recovery Mode...(iTunes Logo and USB cable)..right? and you cannot Shift restore to a custom 3.1.2?

what is the third and fourth numbers on the Serial number? your phone should be old enough to work.

There must be something else wrong with it, considering you used so many other methods to try to revive it... something else must have happened.

Not sure if you tried it already, but try again, turn the phone off if you can..(holding the power button and slide to turn off) and wait a few seconds, then put the phone back into Recovery mode (holding down the home key for 3 secs, and while holding plug the USB cable, until you see the Recovery iTunes and USB logos) then try to Shift Restore again.

Also Make sure the 3.1.2 firmware you have is indeed CUSTOM. make sure it is! and try using a "non-activated' one for now (Locked) version of the custom firmware. just to see at least if you can jailbreak and recover the phone first...then worry about Unlocking.

that's all I know and can tell you man, hope it works.

I don't believe it is old enough, because when it was jailbroken, it was a tethered jailbreak.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
I don't believe it is old enough, because when it was jailbroken, it was a tethered jailbreak.

hmm well I had a Virgin, factory 3Gs 3.1 and 5.11.07 b.b. with serial XX93XXXXXX and I successfully jailbroke it with blackra1n and Shift/ Restored it to Custom 3.1.2. while putting it on Recovery Mode.

it was untethered b/c it was older Serial # XX93XXX...if yours was Tethered than you are right it may be the reason it is not recovering on the Custom 3.1.2

Again sorry, that's the best I know, I have no experience with iRecovery,
So I cannot tell you anythign on that.

Goldsun1715

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
hmm well I had a Virgin, factory 3Gs 3.1 and 5.11.07 b.b. with serial XX93XXXXXX and I successfully jailbroke it with blackra1n and Shift/ Restored it to Custom 3.1.2. while putting it on Recovery Mode.

it was untethered b/c it was older Serial # XX93XXX...if yours was Tethered than you are right it may be the reason it is not recovering on the Custom 3.1.2

Again sorry, that's the best I know, I have no experience with iRecovery,
So I cannot tell you anythign on that.

Alright, thanks for trying. :)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Unfortunately I thought the fact that I already had a jailbroken phone meant that I could restore a custom firmware. I get error 1600 when trying to restore it to custom 3.1.2 firmware. I should've been more clear in saying that I have an iPhone with the new bootrom.

EDIT: Is there anyway I could somehow get into the phone and fix whatever was corrupted in the first place? (iRecovery does detect the phone if that helps at all.)

My reply (post #2) specified "old bootrom". Hint: not a tethered jailbreak !

Firewolve

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
I've a similar problem. 3GS (old) with 3.1.2 jailbreak and unlock.
Since yesterday it does not start anymore.

I can get it to DFU mode where iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone in recovery mode. If I want to restore a 3.1.2 it does not accept it because the Apple server rejects a 3GS update to an older version than 3.1.3. I also tried it with a custom firmware but then I get an error 1600 :(

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I've a similar problem. 3GS (old) with 3.1.2 jailbreak and unlock.
Since yesterday it does not start anymore.

I can get it to DFU mode where iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone in recovery mode. If I want to restore a 3.1.2 it does not accept it because the Apple server rejects a 3GS update to an older version than 3.1.3. I also tried it with a custom firmware but then I get an error 1600 :(

Currently jailbroken, old bootrom and recovery mode...
Not DFU

Firewolve

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
I had exactly the same issue.. And after much searching found out that it was a baseband corruption issue.. After much searching I came across a solution that worked :)

check out this link ;
http://extechblog.wordpress.com/201...-11-07-baseband-3gs-no-shsh-on-file-solution/
Thanks a lot, but this won't work for me, I guess. I don't have the shsh and my iPhone is not bootable. The solution to restore to a custom firmware doesn't work either as I'm getting the 1600 error.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I thought you couldn't restore the from 3.1.2 anymore because Apple has stopped signing it. You can only restore if you had your SHSH files with Cydia.

I found this out the hard way and I'm running 3.1.3 with the new baseband. Pissed :mad:

Firewolve

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
I had exactly the same issue.. And after much searching found out that it was a baseband corruption issue.. After much searching I came across a solution that worked :)

check out this link ;
http://extechblog.wordpress.com/201...-11-07-baseband-3gs-no-shsh-on-file-solution/
I managed to restore to a cfw 3.1.2 which actually worked until I got back to the boot error after the first restart. I think I may have the same problem you had. Will try this solution now :)

chandler99

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
York, UK
Thanks a lot, but this won't work for me, I guess. I don't have the shsh and my iPhone is not bootable. The solution to restore to a custom firmware doesn't work either as I'm getting the 1600 error.

The issue I had was the same i think. I managed to restore to stock fw in dfu mode (the black screen mode... might be recovery.. can never remember)

once it was back up and running, i tried to add the unlock and its at this point the phone kept on locking up.. This was the only solution I could find that worked a treat. The FW was created with pwnagetool not blackra1n.. not sure if that makes a difference..

Its also worth noting that I do not know if cydia had my shsh.. but i was able to use this technique regardless.

good luck anyways :)

Firewolve

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Thank you so much chandler99! :)
I followed the instructions of your link and everything seems to work just fine. The unlock (installed blacksn0w using Cydia) works and I was able to restart the iPhone multiple times without any problem.
In the next few hours :D it is restoring my backup - if everything still works after that I'm more than happy

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I thought you couldn't restore the from 3.1.2 anymore because Apple has stopped signing it. You can only restore if you had your SHSH files with Cydia.

I found this out the hard way and I'm running 3.1.3 with the new baseband. Pissed :mad:

If your 3GS is currently JB, has old bootrom and you can get it into recovery mode, you can restore to a custom restore IPSW (bypasses security checks in iTunes).

Doesn't work on new bootrom, non-jailbroken phones or DFU mode.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
If your 3GS is currently JB, has old bootrom and you can get it into recovery mode, you can restore to a custom restore IPSW (bypasses security checks in iTunes).

Doesn't work on new bootrom, non-jailbroken phones or DFU mode.

:grumbles:

I don't think it would've mattered for me. I got caught in the loop. I recovered via iTunes using the custom restore and it failed. I can't remember the error number.

chandler99

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
York, UK
Thank you so much chandler99! :)
I followed the instructions of your link and everything seems to work just fine. The unlock (installed blacksn0w using Cydia) works and I was able to restart the iPhone multiple times without any problem.
In the next few hours :D it is restoring my backup - if everything still works after that I'm more than happy

Glad it helped :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.