Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for the link. I just ordered the kit.

For anyone that's interested in this, use coupon code 080709RMN for 10% off. :)

Blacklabel34

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Orange County
forget all that!!

The screen is not the same as the ipod, iphone, etc....

just use a clean microfiber cloth (you can find them at any auto supply or hardware store)

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
forget all that!!

just use a clean microfiber cloth (you can find them at any auto supply or hardware store)

Was just asking a question about iClean iphone solution. It sounds like your conclusion would be to not use it as the iPad has a different screen.

OpenThirdeye

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
forget all that!!

How is it not the same as the iPhone (3GS specifically)? Both Tech Specs say that they sport the "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating" and they're both glass. Seems the same to me!

Regardless, I've used ShaggyMac for cleaning products and other odds and ends in the past. They're a top-notch company with great products! I've already ordered the iPad cleaning kit and expect to see it on my doorstep in the next day or so...too bad my iPad won't be here until the 30th. :mad:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
shamwow1.jpg

This

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I'll pass on the ShamWow, thanks.

I'm really impressed with the Kleer Screen micro-chamois cloths. Relatively expensive, given that Home Depot now sells 12-packs of microfibre cloths for a price similar to a single Kleer Screen cloth. But there is no comparison. The Kleer Screens are fluffy and magic. the blue Home Depot ones are useful for a final polish on household glass, porcelain, etc. but little else, because they drag too much to be practical. Kleer Screen also sells a "micro-fiber" cloth, which I assume is similar to the Home Depot specials.

The Kleer Screens work particularly well on my old Samsung syncMasters. They have a matte surface that shows every smudge, and the Kleer Screens are the only thing that I've found that makes them disappear completely. If they are really dirty, I will use some solution, but otherwise I use them dry. Oh, yea, and they're great for eyeglasses - a lot better than the crappy little thin cloths they give you with the glasses.

I'd love to hear of a cheaper but equal-quality cloth, though. (Sham-Wow? LOL. OK, maybe I should try it...)

For cleaning solution, I don't think there's any thing special about the device-specific magical potions being sold (such as ApplePolish, from the same maker as the Kleer Screen cloths. Pa-lease!). I use Novus #1 ( http://www.novuspolish.com/ ) - I have a little bottle that I refill from a big bottle I picked up at the local acrylic sheet wholesaler. But I suspect that a .99 bottle of eyeglass cleaning solution (e.g. water with a couple drops of mild detergent) would do the job just as well.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I do not intend on using an overlay screen protector, so I searched for the best cleaning solution. Have used the Shaggymac with my MBP for years and it really has kept the lcd pristine.

iPad Cleaning Kit

iPad Cleaning Cloth "The Missing Cloth"

The Shaggymac iPad microfiber is cut to the exact shape of an iPad, so when I have it in my case, I can sandwich it between the flap. The microfiber is a true non-woven type, it will never fray...IMO worth every penny :)

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I thought with 3GS and iPad oleophobic coating one should only do a dry clean. I am a smudge freak but I have never put any solution on my 3GS due to the coating. A nice microfiber does the trick.

Am I wrong in assuming I should NEVER put any solution on the iPad, just like the 3GS?

Herrow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
LMAO...Sham POW looks like either a crack binge or someone busted his grill :D

jeff323

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
The Shaggymac iPad microfiber is cut to the exact shape of an iPad, so when I have it in my case, I can sandwich it between the flap. The microfiber is a true non-woven type, it will never fray...IMO worth every penny :)

I'm pretty sure you are working for them because all of your posts are advertisements.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure you are working for them because all of your posts are advertisements.

I have no clue if the OP works for shaggymac or not, but he's right about the quality of their stuff. Their optimist prime is one of the best screen cleaners i've use, absolutely no streaks. Their cloths are also nice since they are soft, and double as a screen protector of sorts. On laptops they sit between the screen and the keyboard and they have different size cuts for all the standard laptop sizes. The iPad one may not be as necessary, but could still be useful especially for those that like to use their iPads nekkid.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have used Radtech microfibre cloths on my computer screens and camera lenses for years. Excellent quality! They come in various sizes and I use the keyboard cover sized ones on my MBP and MBA to protect the screen from keyboard marks. All sizes work beautifully to clean off my iPad, too.

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal
Thanks for the link. I just ordered the kit.

For anyone that's interested in this, use coupon code 080709RMN for 10% off. :)

Thank you very much for the discount. It worked and ordered mine to have before I get my 3G on April 30, can't wait!

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Just use ANY eyeglass cleaning cloth. If it's good enough for very expensive glasses, it's good for your iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.