Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I don't want to. But I used the iPad all day yesterday and didn't touch the MBP...

I am now on the MBP. Everything is so much smoother and faster. And comfortable, surprisingly.

Browsing is faster (I tested). I can scroll much faster on the MBP. I can navigate between pages faster, use a swipe of finger to go from a page I'm on to a previous page very fast.

About the comfort issue, I just find the iPad awkward. It seems like accessories are a must have with this (like the case for typing). Once you start buying accessories for it, that make it more laptop-esque, you mise well just buy a laptop.

I don't WANT to return it. I know I will miss it. I love what it is so far, but it needs so much more.

The ONLY thing the iPad does better, imo, than a laptop, is games. I'm having a blast with some of the iPad games. It def is probably the best portable gaming experience. But $600 to play games that could of been made in the 90's?

All I know is I was extremely excited and THRILLED out of my mind when I got my MBP, and started using it. I knew from that moment on I would always have a MBP, whether I still kept my Windows machine or not.

In reality, I will likely still be keeping my iPad, because I really do like it, but I am just not satisfied for the $600 I paid.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's actually good to hear more negative opinions on the iPad. This section of the forums needs more balance than people who bought an iPad yesterday and rave about it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's actually good to hear more negative opinions on the iPad. This section of the forums needs more balance than people who bought an iPad yesterday and rave about it.

+1

The title of the thread is very accurate. If someone is not interested in the topic, they should avoid clicking on it... :cool:

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
::feigns interest::

This post is one giant contradiction.

How so, sir?

I stated I think the iPad is awesome, it's just not where it needs to be. Therefore, I am not satisfied. No contradiction there.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
How so, sir?

For starters, your thread title:

Seriously considering returning the iPad...

...but apparently,
In reality, I will likely still be keeping my iPad, because I really do like it, but I am just not satisfied for the $600 I paid.

In summary
  • You might return it, but probably not.
  • You like it, but you're not satisfied.
  • You don't WANT to return it, but you're considering it.

Wasteland please.

leetleo

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Well of course a full fledged laptop is going to outperform the iPad. In terms of specs, the iPad is only a short skip ahead of the iPhone 3GS, this is what allows it to maintain 10 hours of battery life. The iPad trades functionality for portability and a form factor designed to consume media. It's natural to find that you don't really need the iPad, you don't buy one out of necessity, you buy it for the novelty and the fun. If you just accept the iPad for what it is, a toy for all ages, rather than a replacement for a real computer, you'll enjoy it a lot more. :)

MacBOS

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
New York, New York
I believe Apple created the iPad For the netbook user, giving them a better option that leaps out of the category and makes netbooking obsolete. If you compare with a netbook i believe you will find the difference but comparing with a macbook... that is just wrong (kind of like comparing a Toyota Corola with a Toyota Camry)

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009

...but apparently,

In summary

Wasteland please.
Yeah? Those are not really contradictions. Considering doesn't mean I will or won't. Considering just means I might and I might not.

I said I like it, but am not satisfied because of how limited it is. This is not a contradiction. I do like it as a hand held device, but I am not satisfied...

Obviously if I am in a state of considering something, I am not fully decided whether I will be doing something or not.

I am just throwing this experience out there for people to make informed decisions.

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom

...but apparently,

In summary

Wasteland please.

OK - so you don't know what "considering" means?

I'll help :)

con·sid·er (kn-sdr)
v. con·sid·ered, con·sid·er·ing, con·sid·ers
v.tr.
1. To think carefully about.
2. To think or deem to be; regard as. See Usage Note at as1.
3. To form an opinion about; judge: considers waste to be criminal.
4. To take into account; bear in mind: Her success is not surprising if you consider her excellent training.
5. To show consideration for: failed to consider the feelings of others.
6. To esteem; regard.
7. To look at thoughtfully.

So now you can see the title is not a contradiction.
Unless you don't know what contradiction means either.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am just throwing this experience out there for people to make informed decisions.

For what its worth I am having similar misgivings. I still pulled the trigger and ordered a 64GB 3G and figured if I didn't like it I could always sell it for what it cost me in eBay. I have a HP Netbook which I LOVE (recently upgraded it to Windows 7 and a 128GB SSD drive). However, the instant on of the iPad, the ultra portability, the interface, etc. are very alluring. I won't know until I've used it for a while (probably more than 14 days).

Can I live without Safari, Flash, Office 2007, Quicken, etc. on my carry-everywhere computing gadget? Can I wait until I get home or to my real laptop to do real work? Where does the iPad fit between my ThinkPad and my Droid? I find it very interesting to read about other people's experiences even if they are not identical to mine, as they give me perspective.

Thank you.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
It doesn't do everything I wish it could do. It doesn't do a few things I need it to do very well at all. But it is smaller and lighter than any previous 1024x768 device I have owned and I am keeping it. I think it's a safe bet. Either OS 4.0 will address my concerns or a third party app will come along or I will find another workaround. My reasons for liking the iPad outweigh my disappointments. I own a netbook. It's an Acer Aspire One running Ubuntu 9.04. I haven't touched it since getting my iPad. But in all honesty, I hardly touched it at all anyway. I only touched it when I was going to a meeting and wanted to avoid carrying my Macbook.

My iPad is so light, I can walk into a meeting with the thing and I don't feel like it's a chore. Sure the keyboard is still taking some getting used to. Sure file handling has taken a page out of the early 1990's but I'm electing to live with this stuff to get a usable machine in a flat form factor.

If you aren't happy with iPad for your needs, then by all means take it back quickly. Nothing we say here should be able to sway you either way or you run the risk of being very unhappy in the long run because our needs are unlikely to be the same as your needs. Perhaps you can come back and update the thread with ways you expect the iPad to be useful to you in the long run or reasons why you think it never will. But for now, I'd say follow your first mind and don't let forum posts distract you from focusing on what works best for you.

edkill

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
OK - so you don't know what "considering" means?

I'll help :)

con·sid·er (kn-sdr)
v. con·sid·ered, con·sid·er·ing, con·sid·ers
v.tr.
1. To think carefully about.
2. To think or deem to be; regard as. See Usage Note at as1.
3. To form an opinion about; judge: considers waste to be criminal.
4. To take into account; bear in mind: Her success is not surprising if you consider her excellent training.
5. To show consideration for: failed to consider the feelings of others.
6. To esteem; regard.
7. To look at thoughtfully.

So now you can see the title is not a contradiction.
Unless you don't know what contradiction means either.
^^This
I also think its funny that you can "love" your iPad so much but simultaneously trash it as "limited" and slow. If you're not satisfied with the iPad why don't you try the HP slate, a Windows machine might be more of your thing. :eek:

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
How so, sir?

I stated I think the iPad is awesome, it's just not where it needs to be. Therefore, I am not satisfied. No contradiction there.

How fast do you really need to hit a website? What the iPad is a sec slower in loading a page. How impatient are you? If you're going to complain at least make it a legitimate one. I have seen some good arguments against the iPad and this is not one of them.

Silvia835

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$ wow! A macbook and an ipad in one month?
Maybe i'm the only one on this whole forum that bats an eye at spending +$2,000 a month on Mac stuff.
I will crawl into my little shack now...:apple:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I decided to return mine as well for the following reasons:

1. Too many issues with dead pixels. Finally got one that was good but it was 32GB but I decided my limit for this type of machine was $499

2. I feel like the form factor is slightly too big. I think a 7-8" screen would have fit better. I have pretty big hands but the ipad still felt too large

3. Native ipad apps are few and far between. I don't play any games on this so that could be a reason

4. Safari cannot handle mutliple open tabs

I figure that I'll come back to the ipad when 4.0 is released. The quality control should improve, better apps should be available, multitasking will be available and hopefully the safari issues will be fixed.

I still like the iPad but it's more of a want than a need for me plus it's summer and I'll be outside more.

edkill

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Maybe i'm the only one on this whole forum that bats an eye at spending +$2,000 a month on Mac stuff.
I will crawl into my little shack now...:apple:
That's the cost of quality. Sure you could go cheaper, but an Apple product will last you years into the future compared to a bargain bin Windows crash machine that dies before a Mac breaks a sweat.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I believe Apple created the iPad For the netbook user, giving them a better option that leaps out of the category and makes netbooking obsolete. If you compare with a netbook i believe you will find the difference but comparing with a macbook... that is just wrong (kind of like comparing a Toyota Corola with a Toyota Camry)

I believe Apple created the iPad to make money. I also believe that Apple created the iPad to be the ultimate media consumption device which perpetuates sales via iTunes (apps, music, video, books, etc) - again $$$.

Crushing netbooks, etc is a marketing point, not the reason to create a device.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
How fast do you really need to hit a website? What the iPad is a sec slower in loading a page. How impatient are you? If you're going to complain at least make it a legitimate one. I have seen some good arguments against the iPad and this is not one of them.

Hit a website? When I click on a thread on here, and I start scrolling, I have to wait 2-3 seconds for each scroll for it all to load. On my Mac it is instant. Not a huge argument, but should I have to wait at all?

Silvia835 said:
I will crawl into my little shack now...

When did I say I bought both in a month? I've had my MBP for about 5 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.