Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Anybody know of a good method or app? I have the iPad in the kitchen on a dock and would like to control the music that is on it.

Apple would make a killing if they figured out a way to link Mac's/iPad's/iPhones together in harmony without an Airport Express.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I can do the opposite. I can control the music and anything off my iPhone with the iPad. I use iTeleport (aka jaadu) from the appstore and veency (a cydia app) on the iPhone.

It could possibly work the other way around as well but I don't want to risk installing veency on my iPad yet. It took me so long to restore and install my apps all over again due to a bad jailbreak attempt.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I'm looking for a non-jailbreak method. If somebody could get an app to do this, that would be stellar.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Actually, I'd like to use the iPhone as a simple wireless remote for the iPad. Even if only iTunes. Just a few buttons that I could touch without looking at it to skip tracks, etc

Hugo5282

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
I can do the opposite. I can control the music and anything off my iPhone with the iPad. I use iTeleport (aka jaadu) from the appstore and veency (a cydia app) on the iPhone.

It could possibly work the other way around as well but I don't want to risk installing veency on my iPad yet. It took me so long to restore and install my apps all over again due to a bad jailbreak attempt.

Tried this, iPad (teleport) connects to iPod touch 2nd gen (veency) just fine. However I can only see a mouse cursor on the iPad screen, nothing else. Can you help?

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Try Tango Remote in the app store, it does exactly what you want. I've used it for a couple of months and I like it :)

Hugo5282

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Try Tango Remote in the app store, it does exactly what you want. I've used it for a couple of months and I like it :)

Tango controls the "iPod" app on both idevices only, is that right? I was hoping to e.g. Stream music or vid from via wifi from pc to iPod touch, then use iPad to say change channels etc.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, Tango Remote controls the iPod on both devices. That's what the OP wanted to do ;)

Hugo5282

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, Tango Remote controls the iPod on both devices. That's what the OP wanted to do ;)

Thanks. I guess if apple allowed what I wanted to do, it would defeat some of the purpose of apple tv.....still.....it would have been a great squeezebox alternative.

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Then why not find a remote to control the iPhone which in turn controls the iPad? The iPad is already portable. If you want non-portable why not string a fiber optic cable from PC to your receiver/speaker setup, then control iTunes with the remote app? This can be done either with your iPad or iPhone.

Hugo5282

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Then why not find a remote to control the iPhone which in turn controls the iPad? The iPad is already portable. If you want non-portable why not string a fiber optic cable from PC to your receiver/speaker setup, then control iTunes with the remote app? This can be done either with your iPad or iPhone.

It's one solution but only if one integrates a PC into their hi-fi system. I am one of those who keeps them separate......again....in essence....looking for a "Squeeze Box" alternative/solution......which may not available at this stage.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Just wanted to say thanks - I have an olden iPod touch with iOS 3 that I leave plugged into a speaker dock. The remote that came with it isn't good, so I've been looking for an app that lets me control it from my iPhone / iPad for a while!

I had a good look a while back but didn't find anything that could run on iOS 3.x. There's a few good looking apps listed on this thread that are 3.x compatible. I'll check them out and report back on what I end up with, and how well it works.

Killerclown56

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2012
Found the perfect method

i had been looking for a way to control Apps within my IPad using my IPhone, and it seemed that a lot of people were trying to do the same thing.

After a lot of trial and error I have finally a great and very easy to use way of doing this.

Control IPad with IPhone/IPod:

Both devices must be jailbroken in order for this to work

Step 1: install 'IPod Remote Controller' on The IPhone/IPod (available from Xsellize Repo)

Step 2: install 'Iteleport: VNC' on IPhone/IPod, this is available from the AppStore... Or somewhere else... ;)

Step 3: install 'Veency' on IPad, from Cydia

Step 4: install 'Ipod Remote Server' on (BigBoss Repo)

Enable both Veency and IPod remote in IPad settings.

Step 5: open 'Ipod Remote Controller' on IPhone/IPod and choose the IPad

Once a connection has been established the Ipad's music player should pop up on the IPhone, this allows you to control music on the IPad with the IPhone

There will be a small 'V' icon, clicking on this will alow you to have the the IPad's interface on the click on Launch VNC then Connect then Accept on the pop up on the IPad

All of this can be done by using Bluetooth to Bluetooth between the 2 IOS devices so make sure Bluetooth is active on both.

Any problems just reply

Samir

rhgameking

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Please help!

Dear Samir,

I've completed all the steps you've told to complete.
Somehow is cant use my iPhone to control my iPad using iTeleport...
Could us please help me spend whole day on this and still don't have a solution...

iTeleport won't find my iPad using my iPhone with both options wifi and bluetooth.....

Thanks in advance.... :)

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I use Airfoil Speakers. It turns an iOS device into an airplay receiver. You start Airoil speakers on an iPad (for example) and it will show up in the airplay devices on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.