Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
billinghamfront.jpg
Photo by Leo Laksi.

The venerable Billingham Hadley Small (and Pro for that matter) has a nice cozy spot for the iPad directly behind the padded insert. The iPad sticks up a little bit over the top of the insert, but with the top cover pulled over, it works fine.

If you're looking for a nice compact camera bag that will fit the iPad, the Hadley Small is pretty great.

pics here...

http://leolaksi.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/billingham-hadley-camera-bag-in-black/

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I bought this one (in burnt orange) from B&H Photo here in NYC:

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Large-Photo-Laptop-Bag.aspx

638-232.jpg

Very nice bag, and what I like about it is I can take out the center padded section that's for the camera body and lenses and it's instantly a great everyday messenger bag for me to take to work.

It has an area for a 15" laptop, although I use it for my iPad. If I leave in the center section (but take out the small dividers), I can put a laptop and my iPad both. It won't fit my 17" MBP, but if I did that I'd just use my laptop bag I have for that. The reason I got this Tenba was because it doesn't really look like that "hey I have $2,000 worth of stuff in here" look to it. It's "street smart". I also really like the top quick-access zipper so you don't have to unbuckle and pull up to get to your stuff inside. I can carry my cam and have it instantly along w/ my iPad. A DSLR and an iPad is a great combination for a day of shooting.

Love the bag.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
The venerable Billingham Hadley Small (and Pro for that matter) has a nice cozy spot for the iPad directly behind the padded insert. The iPad sticks up a little bit over the top of the insert, but with the top cover pulled over, it works fine.

If you're looking for a nice compact camera bag that will fit the iPad, the Hadley Small is pretty great.

Mmmm, Billingham.
I think my other half will kill me if I buy another Billingham though. I already have a 335, 550 and an L2. Can you take some nice clear shots with the iPad in situ, and with an average dSLR load?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Mmmm, Billingham.
I think my other half will kill me if I buy another Billingham though. I already have a 335, 550 and an L2. Can you take some nice clear shots with the iPad in situ, and with an average dSLR load?

A big dSLR is a no go in the Hadley Small. My 5D MKII with 50mm 1.2 barely fits. I have a different bag for the 5DII. The Small holds my Panasonic GF1 and 1 extra lens.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
A big dSLR is a no go in the Hadley Small. My 5D MKII with 50mm 1.2 barely fits. I have a different bag for the 5DII. The Small holds my Panasonic GF1 and 1 extra lens.

Hm, any idea on the Pro? As much as I like the concept of the new mirrorless cameras, I still don't think they're good enough to buy yet. Ideally I want to put a 5DII (no grip) and a 16-35 or 50/1.2 in the bag, plus iPad.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

peskaa said:

Hm, any idea on the Pro? As much as I like the concept of the new mirrorless cameras, I still don't think they're good enough to buy yet. Ideally I want to put a 5DII (no grip) and a 16-35 or 50/1.2 in the bag, plus iPad.

Hmm. The 16-35 is mighty wide at the end. Dunno if it's wider than the 85 1.2, but I have that and the 50 1.2 and they do fit in the Pro, which I also have. But I haven't tried them all with the ipad.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hmm. The 16-35 is mighty wide at the end. Dunno if it's wider than the 85 1.2, but I have that and the 50 1.2 and they do fit in the Pro, which I also have. But I haven't tried them all with the ipad.

The 16-35 is an 82mm filter thread, opposed to the 50/1.2 with its 72mm thread. Reckon you could try with the iPad?

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
i've got a billingham L2 - does anyone know if the iPad will fit in the space behind the padding? anyone got one to check for me?

i'm thinking it'll be pretty tight but should just fit as the L2 and the hadley small are similar in size?

i don't have an ipad yet (only getting released tomorrow where i am) and was planning to be putting the ipad there when i'm taking my camera around

*edit*

i finally have my ipad and no, it does not fit into the back of the L2. actually it does but it's really tight and the top pokes out enough for me to not feel comfortable to keep it in there for longer periods

can the OP post a pic of the ipad in the hadley small for me because if i am to buy one it'll be online and won't have a chance to test it out...thanks

*edit 2* I ended up buying the hadley small and yes an ipad fits in there fine. however i still find it a bit small, and too similar in size to my L2 so I sold it to my mate (lucky he wanted one too) and I might go and buy a hadley pro or large or something :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.