Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I have a 2010 13" MBP - 2.4/4GB/etc.

The last day it's started to do this weird thing - the screen dissolves quickly into multi-colored lines and is unusable unless I restart. Sometimes it comes back right away, sometimes it doesn't.

After it happened, I ran the hardware diagnostics from the install CD - and it said everything was fine. I spent hours last night trying to re-create it, but it never happened. I figured maybe it was a one time thing, but I was skeptical.

This morning it happened again, seemingly randomly. I have a Genius Bar appointment, but I'm wondering if this is something they can easily detect/test for? Especially since the CD diagnostic said everything is fine, and I don't know exactly how to recreate it.

I snapped a picture of it this morning - probably a graphics card failure, right? I'm suddenly having the worst luck with Macs.

4666221021_a581985e37_b.jpg

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Thinking I might just leave the computer on as-is, with the screen all garbled. It'll be a slight transportation pain, but the annoyance of going with my BF to the Apple Store over several appointments while they tried to re-create an issue has stayed with me.

This bites.

Inside_line

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
U.S.A.
Excellent idea... that should provide them the proper motivation to just swap the machine for you if they don't know what to do.

Mirabella

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thinking I might just leave the computer on as-is, with the screen all garbled. It'll be a slight transportation pain, but the annoyance of going with my BF to the Apple Store over several appointments while they tried to re-create an issue has stayed with me.

I think that's a good idea. When my old MBP's GPU was dying, it was making intermittent screen weirdness. I went to the Genius bar, and we were unable to reproduce the problem, on demand. So they sent me home without doing anything to my computer – just telling me to book another appointment and come back, when I can demonstrate the issue. And then the computer died.

So, like I said, it sounds sensible to bring it in as-is, even if transporting it, that way, is a pain.

Laughingman13

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
I think that's a good idea. When my old MBP's GPU was dying, it was making intermittent screen weirdness. I went to the Genius bar, and we were unable to reproduce the problem, on demand. So they sent me home without doing anything to my computer – just telling me to book another appointment and come back, when I can demonstrate the issue. And then the computer died.

So, like I said, it sounds sensible to bring it in as-is, even if transporting it, that way, is a pain.

They didn't give you another machine?

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Well, I can honestly say Apple still continues to impress me with incredible customer service.

I brought the computer in as it was, without closing or restarting it, so they could see the issue immediately. The genius said it was definitely a logic board/graphics issue and would need a replacement logic board. At first he said it would be 3-5 business days to be fixed, but when he noticed it was only a few days old, he asked me if I wanted to contact the online reseller I bought it from for a replacement (tax is 10% in CA - so I bought it online) instead.

I called, but because I had a rebate in process, it would take additional time to process the replacement - likely more than the time for repair with Apple. I said okay, hung up, and told the genius I'd just like to proceed with the repair.

He was incredibly nice throughout the appointment, and so was I. These things happen, it's purely bad luck. But he seemed genuinely upset that such a new computer failed on me. Anyway, a minute later he came back and said he spoke with his manager and they were just going to give me a brand new MBP since mine was only 2 days old - even though I did not purchase it at the Apple Store. They opened a box and gave me a fresh MBP. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

I am really happy for the extra attention to detail, and the manner in which I was treated. Not just because of the replacement, but because the guy was extremely polite, understanding, and took the time to ask the extra questions.

Just another reason I will continue to buy Apple.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Well, I can honestly say Apple still continues to impress me with incredible customer service.

I brought the computer in as it was, without closing or restarting it, so they could see the issue immediately. The genius said it was definitely a logic board/graphics issue and would need a replacement logic board. At first he said it would be 3-5 business days to be fixed, but when he noticed it was only a few days old, he asked me if I wanted to contact the online reseller I bought it from for a replacement (tax is 10% in CA - so I bought it online) instead.

I called, but because I had a rebate in process, it would take additional time to process the replacement - likely more than the time for repair with Apple. I said okay, hung up, and told the genius I'd just like to proceed with the repair.

He was incredibly nice throughout the appointment, and so was I. These things happen, it's purely bad luck. But he seemed genuinely upset that such a new computer failed on me. Anyway, a minute later he came back and said he spoke with his manager and they were just going to give me a brand new MBP since mine was only 2 days old - even though I did not purchase it at the Apple Store. They opened a box and gave me a fresh MBP. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

I am really happy for the extra attention to detail, and the manner in which I was treated. Not just because of the replacement, but because the guy was extremely polite, understanding, and took the time to ask the extra questions.

Just another reason I will continue to buy Apple.
Excellent! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.