Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
We've seen quite a few extensions since tuesday, but not ONE attempt at a keyword extension. Is it just not possible with the current API? If so, I would like to know so I can stop searching for one and try to get keywurl working instead.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
OK, I guess not :|

I've been using OpenDNS' keyword feature in the last few days, but that's highly limited, so I'm gonna try to get keywurl working.

AlligatorJack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
OK, I guess not :|

I've been using OpenDNS' keyword feature in the last few days, but that's highly limited, so I'm gonna try to get keywurl working.

Hello.
I used keywurl myself. However, ever since I updated to Safari 5, the browser crashed every time I opened a new window or tab.
Took me a while to find out that it was keywurl's fault.

If you find a way to get it to work, please let me know :))))

Greets,
Jack

AlligatorJack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
You can do this at your own risk.

Own risk? I've already been on this website and there it also told me "at your own risk". I just wonder how this would be a risk at all.. if anything I could mess up keywurl, so what? I'm just changing the version number - big deal :)

However, doesnt work 'nyways.
-_-

(same errors, same crashes..)

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
We've seen quite a few extensions since tuesday, but not ONE attempt at a keyword extension. Is it just not possible with the current API? If so, I would like to know so I can stop searching for one and try to get keywurl working instead.

I'm curious about this too. I make heavy use of keyword searches for my day job, so I need this feature in order to use Safari.

chrismear

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
London

I've been having a dig around the Safari Extensions APIs for this very purpose, and I'm 90% sure that extensions can't intercept things that have been entered into the address bar, which is what you'd have to do to get Keywurl-like behaviour. I'd love to be proved wrong, but as far as I can see there's nothing in the extensions system that lets you meddle with the built-in controls; there's not even a callback system that would let you hook behaviour into the user's interaction with these controls.

The closest you could get would be to create an 'extension bar', which would be an additional toolbar with its own text field to enter queries into. But this doesn't approach the usability of Keywurl, since you'd need to click or tab into the new text field every time you wanted to use it, instead of just typing into the usual address bar.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
What about a keyboard shortcut that opens up some type of floating window where you can type in your keyword search?

MacAaron

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
Doing a search in the address bar is not a big deal for me because I created a keyboard shortcut for Safari 5. For some reason the default keys to make Safari go to the search box are three keys, which I don't like and can't remember. So I changed it to Cmd-K so much nicer now. If you Google Cmd-K in Safari there will be several websites that can tell you how to do. Don't know if this will work for you or not.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This is stupid
this should be built into safari , and they should ditch the google search bar
Apple should include this in their next update...its really useful

scpeters

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
I've had a go at making a keyword search extension. You can download it here:

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/extensions/keywordsearch.safariextz

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I just tried it out, and I think it's a good start. One of the things I really liked about keywurl was being able to jump quickly to the address bar with a command-L and then I could punch in a URL or do a quick search. It's good that you put in a keyboard shortcut for searching, but the problem with option-S is that on my keyboard it's a shortcut for special character ß. So if I'm in a text field, option-S doesn't pull me out of it. I would recommend command-K or command-shift-L or something.

I'm going to try to learn about extensions a little myself to see if I can customize it.

Thanks for making it!

Steve

kurono

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
thanks for your efforts, mcs07,
but sorry, for me it's out of question to have another bar for something i don't need to waste any pixel out of my 1200 vertical pixels.

i'll try safari stand in the meantime and hope there'll be an update for keywurl, since it crashes safari all the time here.

i'm searching for something like this only because i'm not willing to pay haoli's saft another update that basically just makes saft run with the next version. tired of this greedy business, otherwise saft was always very useful.

in the end, it's apple's fault since to me it also appears as if it's not possible to use the url bar for an extension. hope somebody proves the opposite,
and hope apple removes this annoying text from my box, where i'm supposed to type and not want to be confused with rubbish that's filled in there, that might have something to do with what i typed, but might as well not (and the latter can suck)

bulletproof

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
HOWTO: Make Keywurl work with Safari 5

You either installed Keywurl.bundle to:

/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

or

~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

Check both locations.

Right-click Keywurl.bundle, and select "Show Package Contents".

Open Info.plist in the Contents directory with either TextEdit.app or Property List Editor (available for free from Apple when you install xcode).

From here, you have two options.

OPTION 1: (Will disable all "Max" version checking for Keywurl)

In Property List Editor:
Delete the entire MaxBundleVersion line, under Item 0, under SIMBLTargetApplication.

Save.

In TextEdit:
delete the following lines:

<key>MaxBundleVersion</key>
<string>6531.9</string>

making your plist look like this:

<key>BundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.Safari</string>
<key>MinBundleVersion</key>
<string>5530</string>

Save.

OPTION 2: (edit "Max" version checking for Keywurl)

In Property List Editor:
Change MaxBundleVersion, under Item 0, under SIMBLTargetApplication, from 6531.9 to 6533.17.8

Save.

In TextEdit:
Replace

<string>6531.9</string>

with

<string>6533.17.8</string>

Save.

You will now have Kwurl working in Safari 5!

Enjoy!!!

Ps. 5533.17.8 is for Safari version 5.0.1. You will see this if you go to the Safari Menu and select "About Safari". I'm pretty sure all you will have to do for Safari 6, etc, is replace this code in the Info.plist file to make keywurl work again...I'm not sure why any browser hasn't combined these fields already. ;)

cephlon

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but I was just searching for a solution to this. What I found was I download the Glim Plugin: http://www.machangout.com/

Once installed, go to safari preferences -> glim
There is an option to have the cursor go to the google search box when you open a new tab instead of to the address box. This works great for me.
I just hit command+t and type my search.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
You can download alfread for free...
click "alt+spacebar" pops a search bar, enter for example "google xyz"
and if you set safari as default browser, it will work.

the only difference , instead of hitting cmd+L or moving your mouse to the URL bar, u have to hit"alt+space"

works like a charm, can be used on any browser

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.